Seniors To Pay To Fish?

delmer

Read this over on another site. Looks like the MNR is giving serious thought to implementing licenses for seniors.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...rod_110525.pdf

Page 30

Potential introduction of senior
citizens fishing licences
At present, Ontario and Canadian residents aged 65 and older fish for free in Ontario. This
practice is inconsistent with other public licensing systems in the province such as
driver’s licences, pilot’s licences, camping fees and hunting licences.
Without licence requirements there are inequities, gaps in the
ministry’s information regarding harvest, and the number of seniors that fish. Ontario is also the only Great
Lake province or state in which resident senior citizens can fish for free.
The Harris/Decima survey demonstrated very strong support for introducing a discounted
licence for seniors. MNR is therefore proposing (Table 2) a discounted Seniors
Conservation Fishing Licence and a discounted Seniors Sport Fishing Licence at 80 percent
of the standard fee.No changes are proposed to the requirement for non
Canadian residents aged 65 and older who currently must purchase an Outdoors Card and a regular
priced fishing licence.

WOW i hope they increase there pension money while they trying to claw back even more money, see what the new goverment brings in the summer. and when i turn 65 i have to wait till im 67 for a pension and probably dont qaulify for a license till then as well. ill shut up now before i go on a rant.

Simple solution.....Provincial elections coming up ....in 30 days....vote the minister in charge of MNR. out of his seat...that might change the way they think.....The People have the power to do this...

I'm sure the extra money will be directed to improving fisheries .... NOT! The money will be used to offset cuts to MNR's operating budget.

Another money grab. I remember when there was no license needed. Now, it's here a fee, here a tax, here a co-payment, etc., etc.

WR

Politics and fishing? This board is amazing!

No worries about the MNR with Hudak -- he doesn't believe in science or the environment or that it needs monitoring.

Would nt be nice to have a real party and candidate in the 3 main party's?? Wow!

If ever there was a time for another majour party ,who actually listened, it would be about now!!

Don't think it matters which party is in power, the unelected bureaucrats in the ministry have come up with this. Kinda like the unelected CFO's changing the regulations in regards to firearms (ie banning previously approved guns).

If the money goes to enforcement, ie,game wardens, and hiring people that have knowledge of wildlife and fisheries
jnstead of kids fresh out of universety that dont know sh$% .
It might be a good thing ,but I have feeling it would go into something else that the dum assed government can waste our money on.

Truth is Seniors will be footing the bill. I suspect the New Generation cannot afford to Fish. Lots of Seniors Fishing and Living allot longer......

I really don't see what the big deal is that seniors might have to pay for a fishing licence...as long as the money goes towards improving our fisheries this seems like a fair and good idea. Fishing licences really aren't that much money.

Read this over on another site. Looks like the MNR is giving serious thought to implementing licenses for seniors.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...rod_110525.pdf

Page 30

Potential introduction of senior
citizens fishing licences
At present, Ontario and Canadian residents aged 65 and older fish for free in Ontario. This
practice is inconsistent with other public licensing systems in the province such as
driver’s licences, pilot’s licences, camping fees and hunting licences.
Without licence requirements there are inequities, gaps in the
ministry’s information regarding harvest, and the number of seniors that fish. Ontario is also the only Great
Lake province or state in which resident senior citizens can fish for free.
The Harris/Decima survey demonstrated very strong support for introducing a discounted
licence for seniors. MNR is therefore proposing (Table 2) a discounted Seniors
Conservation Fishing Licence and a discounted Seniors Sport Fishing Licence at 80 percent
of the standard fee.No changes are proposed to the requirement for non
Canadian residents aged 65 and older who currently must purchase an Outdoors Card and a regular
priced fishing licence.
The rich get richer, the poor get poorer !

" inequities, gaps in the ministry’s information regarding harvest" What a crock! It's a money grab, another form of taxation, more cash for the general fund. Gas plant cancelations and green power has to be paid for. It's the thin edge of the wedge. Look out dads your kids will be next. If they are on the boat or beside the stream they might fish therefore they will have to pay no matter what age or there will still be "inequities".

I think @Duck Soup and Albert should pay double:greedy:... those guys catch so many fish!;)
Well folks, I would be willing to pay double if I could get a reliable weather forecast. Almost every weather report I have access to this morning is different and none correspond to the weather we are experiencing here in Simcoe. I guess we have all been there. With respect to the actual subject matter, it's a Croc for sure. Anytime we pay our government, its a tax. Forget the sales pitch and the labels.

Just prepping us to get even more tax money by making parents pay for children under 16 to fish.

Daggone it anyhow. Just getting close to not paying for fishing and they change the rules . I also remember when they brought the license fee in, it was supposed to pay for better conservation and stocking of local ponds. I think that is when I figured out that politicians weren't exactly truthful. Some things never change I guess.
Jeff

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks