Off Topic Searching for salmon

crappiequeen

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
@Mickey Finn is taking me fishing this weekend but we’re not sure where to go. Anyone know where there is some good salmon and/or rainbow fishing right now? Lake Ontario or Lake Huron,

Thanks!

Lake Ontario the salmon are staging up at Bronte/fisherman's piers now for there runs. Last light & first light around the piers will produce fish.

A little off topic but sorta on... are the salmon staging on all the Great Lakes now? If you were looking for salmon in Lake Huron what sort of things would you try?

saugeen river used to have good numbers of kings move into the mouth labour weekend on the right conditions...first light was usually best bite..saugeen shores chinnok salmon hatchery has continued to release salmon in that general area..
ya the Kincardine salmon boom bust...bummer

the salmon are smaller.. what rings a bell is the Owen sound salmon fishing labor day weekend...could be good..we always called up to watsons tackle house to get a fishing update prior before we make the trip up...they were helpful to us with the good news bad news scoup on the fish..

we use to fish the port credit staging salmon and do well..it sounds like Port credit fell off the map for fishin?

good luck & have fun salmon fishing

There's been minimal plants of chinook in Hurons main basin for many years. The small number of spring fingerlings they stock now are dumped in near the river mouths and have little chance to imprint properly :( By far the majority of returns are made up of wild fish. The Saugeen pumps out a fair number of wild Chinnys. And the Nottawasaga on GB still produces a good number as well.

Here's the stocking data for our side of the lake for the last few years.....
Screenshot_20190827-082232_Samsung Internet.jpg

And Port Credit is definitely still alive and well in the salmon world! Lots of boats and charters running out of there right up till October ;) I'll likely be there at some point over the long weekend..

Josh

Last edited:
Lake Huron fish are later running in general. I'd be starting out around 80' right now until we get a good east wind and inshore waters cool down...

Josh

any tips on how to identify salmon vs other fish on my humminbird?
I remember when I was a kid salmon fishing was like pickerel fishing is now (in Lake Erie), you went out and caught salmon, the only variable was how big... that was 35 years ago though...
I caught these two within minutes of each other in June... haven't seen another sincesalmon.jpg

OS salmon spectacular update..derby ends sept. 1

1566929409800.png

OVERALL TOP SALMON Wayne Hollett - 29.50 lbs.TOP TEN DAILY SALMONMonday, August 26, 2019 NAME HOMETOWN LBS.1 Stephen James Walkerton 22.842 Martin Kelter Angus 18.653 Zok Hopkins Hanover 18.584 Jack Sayer Kitchener 18.145 Kevin Bechamp Williamsford 18.056 Chris Dudziak Kenilworth 17.837 Wesley Lane Williamsford 17.678 Walter Campbell Clarksburg 16.879 Bert West Guelph 16.3410 Kevin Delano Owen Sound 16.32TOP FIVE DAILY TROUTMonday, August 26, 2019 NAME HOMETOWN LBS.1 Logan King Millgrove 18.052 John Kleist Owen Sound 17.473 Jeffrey Mountain Durham 13.744 Jake Court Owen Sound 13.345 Julie Ellis Dundalk 12.39 OVERALL TOP TROUTLogan King - 18.05 lbs.DAILY

Last edited:
There have been a few fish over 30lbs caught on Manitoulin this year as well! Seems the salmon all of a sudden found some food this year :)

Josh

Lake Huron bait fish have been on comeback last couple years ....my Uncle and his friends have been massive baitballs like they used to see 15 years ago.
The fish finally look healthy ànd fat ....and the # or catch rates have increased àlso

Manitoulin island just finished their salmon derby and the winning fish was 30.18lbs I believe.

ya and i have seen & heard enough..lol..after I get my repaired boat back I am heading up on good conditions and stay up there & fish off southhampton and hit owen sound .. and just off meaford is another one...there should be rainbows to catch too..plenty of oppurtunity
iam fishin light spinning on the 1 rod per person

Back