Off Topic Save a life, of a minnow.

Richardscott999

Yesterday afternoon. Packed up the boat, got the ice and 2 nice scoops on emeralds, and headed for the lake. Got there and saw the big east wind rollers. Yeah I had checked the weather sites but thought there was a chance. Nope not worth it. So with a bucket full of beauty minnows and opener looming thought I could keep them alive with my battery airator. Battery died an hour after I checked it last. Minnow soup. Anyone ever try a aquarium bubbler to keep minnows kicking. Any other methods work? Can we save the minnows (this one is calling out for a social movement)

I have seen people keep them alive in an aquarium. I think it would test and see how many minnows a certain size of aquarium and bubbler could handle. I have kept them alive over night with an airator but I made sure to put new batteries in it right away. Well at least you have some nice garden fertilizer.

I know a couple guys who use an aquarium or a small back yard water feature to keep any minnows they have left alive for the next time. They feed them regular fish food. Just remember, 120 is the possession limit.

The key is keeping them cold, heat is the real killer. When ice fishing minnows seem to last forever even in a bucket of water with no aerator. In the heat put some ice cubes in the bucket and replenish when melted as it will make a huge difference. If keeping for the next day put the bucket with aerator running in a cool basement to help keep them alive. ;)

I have used an aquarium pump with success. I put the minnows in about a 7 gal. pail. I picked mine up on sale for a good price, but at this time of year you might find one at a garage sale.

I used a rain barrel, caught and aerated them all summer in my cool basement in Muskoka
I just moved to Aylmer and have a cold stream behind my house that may really work out.
To much work to do before I can launch the boat but soon, very soon

Fishing with Bent Pole a few years ago,he brought aerated minnows in a sealed bag! After our perchin,we had some leftovers that he was generous to leave here! Kept em cool in shade & was hoping to get bak out but winds wouldn’t cooperate! Had em for 7 days & only lost a few!!

Attachments

• EADD66F6-F590-4646-BF9B-16491173E685.jpeg
    EADD66F6-F590-4646-BF9B-16491173E685.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
little salt on the dead ones, zip lock , into the freezer and use them as back ups or thaw them when they run out of minnows at the marina. key is to thaw them in the fridge or a cooler with ice pack. put just enough water to cover them in the zip lock!

Once dead. Soak them in windshield washer fluid for a few hours then clear the fluid and put your minnows in a ziplock and freeze them. They stay firm and good to go for the next trip.

First reaction, yah ok, :rolleyes: but it looks like people have been doing it since at least 2011.

Go figure.

Sure won't be using anything other than the cheapo blue stuff. But worth a shot.

Most of the time, I just give away whatever I have left when I call it a day. I had been told by multiple people that using salted minnows was illegal or that you had to use only certain kinds of salt, and by just as many others that it was legal and it didn't matter what kind of salt you used.

So to make sure I knew for sure, I called the ministry and asked about that. After speaking with an enforcement supervisor, Kelly, the gentleman I was speaking with told me this and I quote>>>"because nowhere in the regulations is this addressed or discussed, using salted minnows for personal use IS legal and you may use whatever kind of salt you wish to salt them. You may not however sell them and any frozen or salted minnows you have DO count towards your possession limit of 120 baitfish, regardless of whether you caught them or bought them."

When I salt them, I keep them alive in my minnow pail with the aerator until I get home. Then once here, I drain most of the water outside, leaving just enough to cover them. Then into the sink, throw the salt in, (sometimes with garlic) enough to make the water really cloudy, (a brine.) Doesn't take long for them to die, just a couple of minutes. Once they're dead, I let them sit in it for about 10 minutes, then drain the water. Let them sit for another 5 minutes, into the zip lock (while they're still wet) and into the freezer. They're re-freezable and reusable. I've had some that I used 5 times.

When it comes to live vs salted tho, I have found that I always catch more and bigger fish using live. I only salt early in the season because once minnows become readily available, or easily caught, why continue using salted when live works so much better, that and I like to support the local bait dealers where I get my minnows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have known to keep minnows alive & kicking for up to a week or more in the hottest weather in the garage. I use a big cooler, filled with well water, let it sit for a bit, then put the minnows in and use an electric aerator 24/7. Having 4 big pop bottles filled with water and frozen already, I put that in the cooler and close the top. On a daily basis, I would scoop as much water out and replace with well water and repeat as above. This works great for my husband and I. Most importantly, I always scoop up the dead minnows. It really is not a lot of work and it saves us money and for the love of fishing :love:

Last edited:
I have known to keep minnows alive & kicking for up to a week or more in the hottest weather in the garage. I use a big cooler, filled with well water, let it sit for a bit, then put the minnows in and use an electric aerator 24/7. Having 4 big pop bottles filled with water and frozen already, I put that in the cooler and close the top. On a daily basis, I would scoop as much water out and replace with well water and repeat as above. This works great for my husband and I. Most importantly, I always scoop up the dead minnows. It really is not a lot of work because it saves us money and for the love of fishing :love:
ya the dead Minnows add to the bio load. And water changes are a necessary thing to do. Also add 1 tbsp of salt to each gallon not iodized salt. For gill growth and health

Most of the time, I just give away whatever I have left when I call it a day. I had been told by multiple people that using salted minnows was illegal or that you had to use only certain kinds of salt, and by just as many others that it was legal and it didn't matter what kind of salt you used.

So to make sure I knew for sure, I called the ministry and asked about that. After speaking with an enforcement supervisor, Kelly, the gentleman I was speaking with told me this and I quote>>>"because nowhere in the regulations is this addressed or discussed, using salted minnows for personal use IS legal and you may use whatever kind of salt you wish to salt them. You may not however sell them and any frozen or salted minnows you have DO count towards your possession limit of 120 baitfish, regardless of whether you caught them or bought them."

When I salt them, I keep them alive in my minnow pail with the aerator until I get home. Then once here, I drain most of the water outside, leaving just enough to cover them. Then into the sink, throw the salt in, (sometimes with garlic) enough to make the water really cloudy, (a brine.) Doesn't take long for them to die, just a couple of minutes. Once they're dead, I let them sit in it for about 10 minutes, then drain the water. Let them sit for another 5 minutes, into the zip lock (while they're still wet) and into the freezer. They're re-freezable and reusable. I've had some that I used 5 times.

When it comes to live vs salted tho, I have found that I always catch more and bigger fish using live. I only salt early in the season because once minnows become readily available, or easily caught, why continue using salted when live works so much better, that and I like to support the local bait dealers where I get my minnows.

agreed but better to have salted than none. funny the perch down here (Im from northern Ontario) don't seem to take the bite on worms!

they do sometimes. Early this year people were catching some off the pier using worms. The white perch and silver bass really liked them too early. When I lived in Alberta I would fish a public pond on a golf course just north of Edmonton that they stocked with Rainbows. It also had a very healthy yellow perch population. They hit best on Velveeta sliced cheese balled up and covering the hook. Worked every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks