Off Topic Save a life, of a minnow.

Put the minnows in a refrigerator with no lid and some ice. They’ll be fine over night. Add ice every 12hours

Fishing with Bent Pole a few years ago,he brought aerated minnows in a sealed bag! After our perchin,we had some leftovers that he was generous to leave here! Kept em cool in shade & was hoping to get bak out but winds wouldn’t cooperate! Had em for 7 days & only lost a few!!

Hi Duck Blind. I still do that with my minnows. I get them in a bag that has air added to it a couple of days before I go fishing and put them in my bait/beer fridge. If the weather is bad and I can't get out those minnows will last a week in the fridge. I take them out put the bag in a cooler with ice and use them a week later. Always seems to work for me.

I've used an aquarium and left it in the cold room of my house. Works well and pretty handy to have minnows there all the time. Wife isn't a fan though. I should really get it going again!

I use Fathead minnow's, endless supply, free, and they work for me, (perch)? Swear you could keep them in a puddle on your laneway and they would be fine for days. I use a med. sized cooler with a window screen between lid for air flow, no problem for a week or more, if you don't overcrowd.

I put together a minnow tank, made out of an old 7cu' (apartment size) chess freezer. Got an adjustable thermostat from amazon; where I can keep the water in the mid to low 40s°f. A backyard pond aerator/filter combination. Goldfish food and some chemicals from the pet store to help manage the bacteria. I've kept them for approx a month with very little die off.
I throw the tank in the back of the truck, when we head up to Elk Lake, for a week at a camp that doesn't have minnows. The closes place that do have, is approx a 2 hour round trip. On the way up to camp, we stop at that bait shop and buy 20 or more dozen. The bait shop fills my tank with water from his large tanks; no temp shock for the minnows. Fire up the generator, set the temp, turn on the aerator and off we go.
Before anyone says anything; yes you can share a bait tank will other people. I've checked with the ministry and they said as long as there are enough people there that can produce a recite for their purchase; its fine. We tape the signed recites to the lid of the freezer and never had an issue when a CO shows up at camp.

Dan.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks