Fishing Report Saturday Feb 15 Niagra River / Lake Ont.

Puddle Jumper

Maestrolaker and I decided to breakup the winter blues . Since we are unfamiliar with area and don't have boats out yet! we decided to book a charter with Paul Castellano, (Cast Adventures) this past Saturday on the lower Niagra river.

We decided to head out to the lake and fish the BAR before the winds picked up..... a bit ruff out there but managed seveal difts before wind picked up . we caught 7 or 8 lakers and lost 2 different fighting fish ....we think where Chinnooks .
after that we went back up river had a brief coffee/warm up break in sheltered bay before spending rest of day drifting for rainbows .
we landed 10 + bows and missed a bunch. between 1/2 dozen boats on Canadian side we did majority of our fishing on US side.

despite it being a very refreshing day....we dressed for the temps and had a fantastic time. Well worth going with a guide and buying Newyork license.

on the bucket list thank you
Well worth doing ....allot of fish there from Oct- may ....never know what you will catch

I suggest getting new York license if you go.
Provides more options ....based on fish movement, wind , currents and other boats

Maestrolaker and I decided to breakup the winter blues . Since we are unfamiliar with area and don't have boats out yet! we decided to book a charter with Paul Castellano, (Cast Adventures) this past Saturday on the lower Niagra river.

We decided to head out to the lake and fish the BAR before the winds picked up..... a bit ruff out there but managed seveal difts before wind picked up . we caught 7 or 8 lakers and lost 2 different fighting fish ....we think where Chinnooks .
after that we went back up river had a brief coffee/warm up break in sheltered bay before spending rest of day drifting for rainbows .
we landed 10 + bows and missed a bunch. between 1/2 dozen boats on Canadian side we did majority of our fishing on US side.

despite it being a very refreshing day....we dressed for the temps and had a fantastic time. Well worth going with a guide and buying Newyork license.

Paul is the absolute best! He has taken my daughter under his wing and taught her so much. Happy to see someone local going out with him!

Thank you @Puddle Jumper . We were jigging lots of walleye on the upper side... I suppose you let them down and let the river flow do the rest eh... Never fished with roe/beads yet, too newbie for that :) but planning to go there this spring (which seem to may be start next weekend LOL). Thanks again.

Thank you @Puddle Jumper . We were jigging lots of walleye on the upper side... I suppose you let them down and let the river flow do the rest eh... Never fished with roe/beads yet, too newbie for that :) but planning to go there this spring (which seem to may be start next weekend LOL). Thanks again.

if in a boat just drift with the current but you want to keep your line straight up and down as our weight taps the bottom so you'll want to use your trolling motor to slow yourself down a little

Thanks for this @wknd_warriors . Yes this is how we fished on Detroit River... I find this very hard task to accomplish as the current is changing with time. Cheers.

Looks like a a lot of fun puddle jumper. Only been there once but with the weekend weather...
Hey any recommendations on where to launch from ?

Looks like a a lot of fun puddle jumper. Only been there once but with the weekend weather...
Hey any recommendations on where to launch from ?
We launched at the Queenstown public boat ramp . Free
It's only launch on river on Canadian side .
It only 10 min further to launch on US side at Lewiston.

Or put in at St.Catherines and boat to river if lake calm.

I have only ever launched at Queenstown.
Be polite and friendly with the local shore fisherman

I want to go there this weekend... weather dependent. Was told to make sure there is someone else in the boat that is an experienced boater - the current could be strong when you dock the boat (i.e. especially going out of the water).

I want to go there this weekend... weather dependent. Was told to make sure there is someone else in the boat that is an experienced boater - the current could be strong when you dock the boat (i.e. especially going out of the water).
Yes docking can be tricky....metal hinge on dock ....and rock wall on other side
Go in slow ....make sure your passengers don't move until yours beside dock

Is there another boat launch besides Queenston docks, besides going from the lake into the river?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks