Rod selection for dipsys

Todsquad

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Just curious what the consensus is for rod action/length when running dipsys?

I generally run med action 8' 6" rods. If I'm looking to upgrade for running dipsys, should I be going to heavy action or 9' 6" rods?

Ford chevy dodge question, suggest you settle on rods made for dipsys...10' or better. Need to have some action left over once a big bow grabs the line. IMO. Walleye, no matter you could pull them in with hockey sticks lol.

Ford chevy dodge question, suggest you settle on rods made for dipsys...10' or better. Need to have some action left over once a big bow grabs the line. IMO. Walleye, no matter you could pull them in with hockey sticks lol.
Maybe...but we all know Ford is the right choice... good call on anticipating the 'bow fight.

I would also use a pair of 10'6 dipsey rods with a 9ft leader .

There are many different models , I settled on the shimano talora.

Its a matching thing.

I agree with Twister. I ended up with 4 dipsey rods because they were too long for my buddies boat. Remember you have a 6 or 8 foot leader off the dipsey and a 10 foot rod, makes for some interesting maneuvering in a smaller boat.

Get the longest rods you can, namely, 10.5 ft long. If you plan on running 2 rods per side, get 10.5ft as outer and 8.5ft as inner rods

Personally running 4 to 6 rods my lengths always vary. All depends on the amount of rods out to me as long as set up

Longer rods are nice ....but have to take into account : things like Bimini top or hard top , weather or not have enough room to back up when landing fish .

I have 8.5 ' and 9' dipsy rods ....... I have been using 8.5 M ugly stick E- lites on a couple occasions on erie with dipsy....had no issue with popping dipsy with release set lite and landed a 11 lb eye with it..... but there is a chance that a rainbow , salmon(rare) , or big drum ....could be an issue on that rod with a dipsy??.... it was easier to notice the small eyes without dragging them. Personally I like the Okuma duosy rods with the triangle handles

Just a word of caution on rapala magnum dipsy rod. I had a 10.5' which split a guide insert and I did not notice it. Bare metal guide had weakened a 25 braid to the point that I could break it with bare hands. Only discovered it after losing two dispies (one had a spindoctor and fly attached) on fish. Got a Shimano Telora dipsy rod, much nicer even though it is a foot shorter; even Daiwa Wildirness for $45 did not fail.

8.6ft med-heavy rigger rods in the Diawa accudepth line been doing me well for years as my dipsy rods. They also get duty as my pike trolling rods.
So far they have stood up to everything lake Erie is holding except carp and sturgeon.. just haven't hook any of them yet!

Cabela's has a 12ft depthmaster downrigger rod that I am using for dipsys. it says 8-20lb on the website but it is heavier than that. There is plenty of flex in the top end to absorb shock when a fish hits but the butt section is stiff for a fight. They go on sale often for $30 or less. They can be a little long and hard to manage if you are alone, but OK if you have help and a little elbow room in the boat.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks