Off Topic rod eye guides

Minnownite

Something I havent thought of in the past until this summer when someone mentioned you cant use a rod with ceramic eyes with braid, or even leadcore. I was told that the braid/leadcore would groove the eyes and then cause the line to rip. This was specifically regarding the diawa wilderness rods. As i was going to use them for dipsy. But then changed my mind after what i head. Now I did good old googling and ive read it doesnt matter, especially with cermanic is not something to worry about it. Thoughts?

I have 6 of the daiwa wilderness rods @Minnownite and use them with mono for my riggers braid for my dipsys and for my leadcore rods. I have yet to have this issue with any of them after 3 years of good use. They are a good inexpensive alternative to those high dollar rods and they still catch fish, they'll be on my boat for quite some time ?

Any silicon carbide, aluminum oxide or zirconia based guides are fine with braid. The only 'modern' guides I've ever seen wear are the stupid recoils they put on the higher end Loomis rods.

Josh

I have 4 Diawa Wilderness rods that I have used with braid for 5 yrs after I seen that post I went and looked at them , they have no grooves in them

Some industry notes on this eye issue....

We replace hundreds of rods each year with eyes "popped" from braid and leadcore.

Stainless/metal guides are actually cheaper to put on a rod than most of the "insert" types. However, in most cases not trolling, they were perceived as cheaper looking and thus not used. With the resurgence of leadcore and dipsey fishing... rod makers started making more rods with the metal guides and, with demand, have priced accordingly. That being said...there are great value rods out there with full metal guides too. All the new ugly stick big water rods now come with them. Why.... most of their returns were guide matters and not blank breakage. Always remember... Like anything manmade... sometimes you get a great product that lasts forever.... other times they don't last a trip. Your use also makes a big difference. Fish once or twice a year and rods last longer than someone that fishes 12 hrs a day 3 or 4 days a week.

When it comes to all YOUR gear.... do your research, buy what YOU want (not what your told too), and spend what your comfortable with. Rod prices generally go up with composition (more graphite+less glass=more expensive). More Graphite means lighter rod with more feel and less durability. More glass means a heavier rod with less feel but way more durability. Also look at the warrantees... every company is different and every retailer deals with them differently. Some of the better rods have great and no question replacement warranties and in the long run can save you lots.

I hope you love whatever YOU choose and use!!!!!

I have 6 of the daiwa wilderness rods @Minnownite and use them with mono for my riggers braid for my dipsys and for my leadcore rods. I have yet to have this issue with any of them after 3 years of good use. They are a good inexpensive alternative to those high dollar rods and they still catch fish, they'll be on my boat for quite some time ?
What size rod do you use for dipsy? Im thinking 9'6" (There longest rod in the series) but not sure if it will have enough back bone to handle the stress for which i would go with a 8'6" so the stress would be a little less.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks