Risk vs reward - Extending my season

zzguffy901

Good Morning,

This is my first year with a boat, 2014 Lund fury with a 50hp evinrude. I am wondering at what point it is dangerous to keep the boat out still in the cold weather? I have no issues fishing the cold weather but I do not want to freeze the block or jeopardize my boat. Any tips would be greatly appreciated for this rookie.

Thanks!

Good Morning,

This is my first year with a boat, 2014 Lund fury with a 50hp evinrude. I am wondering at what point it is dangerous to keep the boat out still in the cold weather? I have no issues fishing the cold weather but I do not want to freeze the block or jeopardize my boat. Any tips would be greatly appreciated for this rookie.

Thanks!
Not an expert, but I think as long as the engine is getting use you won’t damage the cylinders
And as long as you trim down when pull out of the water for the day and drain the water out it won’t freeze and crack

when it’s too cold there be ice on the lake
And at that point might be time to stow it away.

Outboards can be used in any weather but need to be tilted down to let the block drain. (No water stays in the motor when tilted down, it's designed to drain all water in the down position.)

I think it's safe to say the water would damage that Lund once the ice is denting your hull rather than breaking. Just remember to drain thoroughly the bilge and any livewells, baitwells, holding tanks (I doubt that applies to you) and if you have a mechanical water pressure gauge, drain that too.

Appreciate the comments! That makes me more confident to keep the boat out past nov 1st. Any other tips are always welcome! I’m just trying to learn as much as I can in my first year.

Thanks!

At this time of year. Just make sure people know where you are going and when you will be back... and it doesn’t hurt for you to go out wth friends in another boat.. and if you don’t trust your equipment 100%,,, don’t go!

Couple years ago I towed in a boat out of glascow the Tuesday after thanksgiving.. it was fairly foggy and we were the only 2 boats out.. they were lucky I saw them when coming in about 5 miles from shore.

Jan 4 2020 lake simco. Just as they say drain it good and you should not have a problem

Attachments

• 50950892-D4B2-40A8-A5D1-A54CCE965783.jpeg
    50950892-D4B2-40A8-A5D1-A54CCE965783.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 66
At this time of year. Just make sure people know where you are going and when you will be back... and it doesn’t hurt for you to go out wth friends in another boat.. and if you don’t trust your equipment 100%,,, don’t go!

Couple years ago I towed in a boat out of glascow the Tuesday after thanksgiving.. it was fairly foggy and we were the only 2 boats out.. they were lucky I saw them when coming in about 5 miles from shore.
For sure there is more then your boat motor freezing to worry about when going out this time of year. Hypothermia will kill you before anyone can come to help!

Jan 4 2020 lake simco. Just as they say drain it good and you should not have a problem I should add if you are out late season and you run into salt on the roads give your trailer a good rinse got lazy and did not clean trailer guess who was sanding and painting in the spring 🙄

As mentioned above tilt motor down and drain, I fish up to Dec. soon as I'm back out of the water I turn my motor over to make sure all water is out. Other thing you have to do is carry salt to the launch, watch your trailer lights backing up into the ice at the launch, they get broken, your steering cable will freeze if it's an older cable, boat will freeze to the trailer, your trailer will be stuck to the bottom of your boat, so back into the water and wait for the trailer to drop from the boat. Chances your water indicator on you motor will be frozen, water won't pee out till motor warms up.
Going home boat will be a different colour from black to white covered in road salt.
Sometimes your boat will look like this back at the ramp after a days fishing.
kh18r5f.jpg

I carry a boost pack when it gets that cold and breaking ice to launch is a normal occurrence each year. A bag of salt and sand is always in the box late aeason for icy ramps and has paid off a number of times for me. As mentioned above tilt motor down immediately after pulling out the boat to drain all fluids and run the motor briefly to ensure everything is out. Have been doing this for w0 yeads between late season fishing and duck hunting and have never had an issues. On the odd occasion I have had a pee hole freeze up momentarily but it clears quickly and if not I always have a piece of ros in the boat ysar round to clear it manually if need be due to spider webs as well as ice.

For sure there is more then your boat motor freezing to worry about when going out this time of year. Hypothermia will kill you before anyone can come to help!
This is a good point but much more valid in the spring, the water temps right now are around 55 - 60 degs still, so very manageable all be it uncomfortable, April is another story, this year water temps were in the high 30s when I started fishing. I will have immersion suits on board this coming spring.

Hi ZZguffy 901 remember if winterizing the boat your self or taking it in to be done by professionals which would require an appointment. This is there busy time of year.It's easier to winterize boat your self in 10 degree weather than in freezing cold.It's not that hard to winterize your outboard etc don't forget to pull the plug.Lots of youtube videos on procedure. Or ask questions on Stomps 68.

The only reason I say pull the plug is I used to get Massels in New hamburg to do it.Asked them did you pull plug they said yes but it was still in So l pulled the plug and water came out.Ever since I do it myself and save money too.

The only reason I say pull the plug is I used to get Massels in New hamburg to do it.Asked them did you pull plug they said yes but it was still in So l pulled the plug and water came out.Ever since I do it myself and save money too.
Do it yourself
Save a bit of money, can trust yourself the most.. who knows if someone having a bad day or is over whelmed with work or whatever the reason for missing something may be. No one will care for your equipment more then yourself!

Do it yourself
Save a bit of money, can trust yourself the most.. who knows if someone having a bad day or is over whelmed with work or whatever the reason for missing something may be. No one will care for your equipment more then yourself!
That's why I do my own work whenever I can. I haven't been to a mechanic in a long time because I believe nobody cares about my stuff like I do.

Heck I rust proofed my truck last weekend and spent 6 hours and 10 litres of rust proofing oil to fill every nook and cranny I could find. Think Krown would ever do that?

Tcat you say plug? Your boat drain plug or some other plug, Your suppose to pull your drain plug every time you take your boat out of the water. Maybe I'm not under standing what plug your talking about.

Good Morning,

Thanks!
Fish til the water is to hard to pump!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks