Risk vs reward - Extending my season

Just as a note for those of us who do it ourselves - you may want to read your insurance policy over the winter. Most have clauses limiting coverages if the winterizing is not done by a marina, and you have receipts to prove it. So make sure you do it right.

Yes iam talking about boat plug.I normally put it in at beginning of season take out before storage.Why pull plug every time you pull out from launch?

That's why I do my own work whenever I can. I haven't been to a mechanic in a long time because I believe nobody cares about my stuff like I do.

Heck I rust proofed my truck last weekend and spent 6 hours and 10 litres of rust proofing oil to fill every nook and cranny I could find. Think Krown would ever do that?

Krown has sprayed our vehicles multiple times, with me watching each time as I don’t trust anyone, and there is no way you’re going to be as thorough as they are.

They drill multiple access holes and use various length spray guns with high and low pressure in order to get oil into places that cannot be reached without doing so.

I’m contemplating doing my new ATV myself though. What oil did you use and how much did it cost?

@ch312 I'd be willing to take the oil Pepsi challenge against Krown in that regard. I also have a spray gun with various length wands and a nifty 360 degree wand than fans it out. You push it into the hole and spray while pulling it out slowly and it coats everything around it in it's path. I refuse to drill holes as I feel there are plenty of drain holes and factory holes and plugs that I can get it everywhere it needs to go.

I bought my Lemmer spray gun, the attachments and the oil from Commercial Oil co in Hamilton. Their Dripless Amber rustproofing oil isn't totally dripless and looks/smells/feels a lot like Corrosion Free and Fluid Film. Thicker than Krown but still really light. A few years ago I sprayed some bare metal with it and left it outside all winter. In the spring it was still shiny and rust free so I guess it works.

What do other boaters do ?Do you pull your boat plug every time you come out from the launch.
Yes pull it because you don't want any water sitting under your floor, it will rot your floor. If all possible open any compartment hatches that lets air under your floor.
Soon as my boat comes out of the water I take it out, should be a habit, like putting on your tie downs.
Just remember to put it back in before launching

Thanks guys I will start pulling plug out next season after every launch.I thought put it in ,run the bilge pump right near exiting the launch and we're good.Oops Thanks again.

What do other boaters do ?Do you pull your boat plug every time you come out from the launch.
Yes I will at least pull it out for the ride home from the lake
I have nightmares forgetting to put the plug back in
My uncle did that one time up north launch the boat one end of the lake trailer on the other end of the lake and on his way back to the trailer realized he forgot the plug
Full throttle all the way to the beach near the trailer.

Full throttle all the way to the beach near the trailer.

That's actually a technique they use up north on small aluminum boats that don't have a bilge pump. Get out on plane and pull the plug. The boat will self drain while on plane.

Trying to get the plug back in while on plane was difficult.

@ch312 I'd be willing to take the oil Pepsi challenge against Krown in that regard. I also have a spray gun with various length wands and a nifty 360 degree wand than fans it out. You push it into the hole and spray while pulling it out slowly and it coats everything around it in it's path. I refuse to drill holes as I feel there are plenty of drain holes and factory holes and plugs that I can get it everywhere it needs to go.

I bought my Lemmer spray gun, the attachments and the oil from Commercial Oil co in Hamilton. Their Dripless Amber rustproofing oil isn't totally dripless and looks/smells/feels a lot like Corrosion Free and Fluid Film. Thicker than Krown but still really light. A few years ago I sprayed some bare metal with it and left it outside all winter. In the spring it was still shiny and rust free so I guess it works.

I’m not going to argue, but you’re kidding yourself if you think you’re getting complete coverage without drilling access holes. Krown and other rustproofers aren’t drilling holes just for giggles....

In regards to pulling the plug, my boat bilge pumps all but maybe 1/2 cup worth of water and that remaining water will not drain out the drain plug. Only option is to open the access port and let it air out.

How much battery power would the circulation fan draw? My buddy suggested leaving access ports open and running the fan for a while, but I am concerned about draining the batteries?

I leave my boat in for 2 weeks at a time. Then it comes out for 2 weeks when I go back to work. I always leave the hull well ventilated while it is in. This keeps the moisture build up from corroding all of your wiring, starter, alternator hose clamps and under the distributor cap stays dry. When I pull out the plug is pulled and the boat is jacked high enough to drain the entire hull. Both bulges are run to insure it is dry. The plug stays out and the engine hatch is left blocked open while it is tarped. This pic if after 2 seasons of doing this. No nasty shit at all.

Attachments

• 20190625_090823.jpg
    20190625_090823.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190623_180008.jpg
    20190623_180008.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 16
Back