Fishing Report Rainbow or Steelhead

Soup

Nice Rainbow caught on Tuesday at Burrell, but noticed how deep pink, almost red the meat was. I read that Steelheads tend to have a deeper pink colour. Is it maybe a Steelhead?
IMG_4450.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4452.jpeg
    IMG_4452.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 77
In Lake Erie any rainbow you catch is a great lakes 'steelhead'. That to me looks like a coho by the scales and mouth but would be nice to see the tail as that's usually best indicator to me. I find the meat can vary largely on Erie bows from very pale to what you see there on you table almost

Last edited:
Agreed, 100% coho. As for Rainbow vs Steelhead, us great lakes fisherman refer lake run rainbows as steelhead, but if you run into a pacific fisherman be prepared for a lecture...;)

Agreed, 100% coho. As for Rainbow vs Steelhead, us great lakes fisherman refer lake run rainbows as steelhead, but if you run into a pacific fisherman be prepared for a lecture...;)
lol 😂 @jrb 👊👊 I almost 😅 had one of those lectures in the Port Stanley parking lot back on July 28,were this angler was convinced that the fish he had caught was a Coho!! Luckily I never opened up my mouth that morning to tell him that it was a rainbow and not a Coho,or my wife and I would have never gotten onto Lake Erie to go fishing on that day!! lol 😂 👍🙂

Last edited:
Nice Rainbow caught on Tuesday at Burrell, but noticed how deep pink, almost red the meat was. I read that Steelheads tend to have a deeper pink colour. Is it maybe a Steelhead?
View attachment 77812
Congrats on your nice looking fish there @Soup 👍🙂 too bad that you are squeezing the tail,for I can’t see wether the tail has rows of dot’s running through the whole tail or not,because for me at least anyways,that’s the first thing that I look for,to determine wether it’s a Coho or a rainbow. Did the scale’s on that fish fall off easily? Coho’s tend to do that. I am not a Fishery Biologist by any means,( I wish,for that was my dream job ),and your fish looks like,that it would be very tasty 😋,and I need a taste sample as well,once cooked,to know for sure!! 🐟😋 lol 🤣😉 To end this discussion,here are some photo’s of a Coho,( the first 2 photo’s,not many dot’s on the tail ), and a rainbow,( last 2 photo’s,lots of dot’s throughout the tail ),that I had both caught on one of Lake Huron river’s back in the mid 80th’s,and I had them both mounted back then,and they are hanging on our wall in our sunroom. Tight lines,and Coho’s & Rainbow’s ON!! to All!! 🚤🎣🐟🐟👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_1419.jpeg
    IMG_1419.jpeg
    437 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1420.jpeg
    IMG_1420.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1421.jpeg
    IMG_1421.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1422.jpeg
    IMG_1422.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 23
What did the natives call them before white people came around and re named everything
To the best of my ability in translating "Iroquois language"(Cayuga to be exact) to english.
The word for "Pikes" translates to "fish with long face" or just "long face". Musky, pike, grass/chain pickerel. All with the "long face".

The word used for Walleye translates to "bad eye/ deadeye" or "pale eye" (always referring to the "mysterious eye's"of the fish).

For salmon/ trout the best way to describe the word in English translates to "the 1 that holds/carriez the eggs" which could also refer to "the 1 that eats eggs" and is now holding or carrying eggs.
They could have got there name for many reason but the names always refer to there "eggs" in some way.

I'm sure other "Native bands" have differnt names for said fish in there own language but these are the names, or translation for the names, i know off the top of my head.

And yes, they are referred to as "food".. breakfast, lunch and supper! Not so much breakfast but the rest for sure! LOL!

To the best of my ability in translating "Iroquois language"(Cayuga to be exact) to english.
The word for "Pikes" translates to "fish with long face" or just "long face". Musky, pike, grass/chain pickerel. All with the "long face".

The word used for Walleye translates to "bad eye/ deadeye" or "pale eye" (always referring to the "mysterious eye's"of the fish).

For salmon/ trout the best way to describe the word in English translates to "the 1 that holds/carriez the eggs" which could also refer to "the 1 that eats eggs" and is now holding or carrying eggs.
They could have got there name for many reason but the names always refer to there "eggs" in some way.

I'm sure other "Native bands" have differnt names for said fish in there own language but these are the names, or translation for the names, i know off the top of my head.

And yes, they are referred to as "food".. breakfast, lunch and supper! Not so much breakfast but the rest for sure! LOL!
Very interesting

Hard to see tail on my phone but looks forked (V shape) which would be a coho. A rainbow is usually a lot whiter than a coho's grey inside the mouth. Maybe not 100% but rainbows do tend to jump more when first hooked imo.
Think Red Herring is bang o
n with the scales and looks like this one may have lost a few flopping around.
Nice catch.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks