Off Topic Question is answered on more than 2 lines in the water

scrimmy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)

Reply: Yes, Page: /document/ontario-fishing-regulations-summary/fisheries-management-zone-19 (111452)​

Inbox
Search for all messages with label Inbox
Remove label Inbox from this conversation

Fish, Policy (MNRF) <FishPolicy@ontario.ca>​

4:10 PM (46 minutes ago)
to me, NRISC
Thank you for your question regarding trolling with multiple lines in Lake Erie.

Yes, you are able to use a third or fourth line to troll a flasher (without any hooks attached) as an “attractant” while using another two lines with attached “hooked” lures or bait that have hooks attached in waters where two lines are permitted. A line that has only a flasher attached as you describe with no hooks or other devices attached to enable catching a fish would not be considered fishing and therefore would not be considered unlawful.

Please contact fishpolicy@ontario.ca with any further questions.

Reply: Yes, Page: /document/ontario-fishing-regulations-summary/fisheries-management-zone-19 (111452)​

Inbox

to me, NRISC
Thank you for your question regarding trolling with multiple lines in Lake Erie.

Yes, you are able to use a third or fourth line to troll a flasher (without any hooks attached) as an “attractant” while using another two lines with attached “hooked” lures or bait that have hooks attached in waters where two lines are permitted. A line that has only a flasher attached as you describe with no hooks or other devices attached to enable catching a fish would not be considered fishing and therefore would not be considered unlawful.

Thanks for posting this @scrimmy and good to know. 👍🙂

Inbox

to me, NRISC

I'd print this and keep in your boat glove box. For sure, 5 COs in a room talking about this...you'd get 5 different answers.

King Joe Outa Here!

A few years back out of Bruce I got pulled over 8 miles out of port by a large welded aluminum MNR yacht. Two COs with binoculars worth more than my boat..maybe my house. They said I was running more than 2 lines. I had 2 rods loaded up in the downriggers, a couple rods in side holders with the line swivels clipped to the lower rod guide so the tips were bent...maybe looked like they were in the water. I showed them their error, then they proceeded to go through every imaginable detail of my Lund including the Quebec reg #s on the side..which were perfectly legal as I was able to retain those #s when I re registered in Ontario and had all the paperwork in the boat. Finally came down to my flashlight was dead and thats what I got fined for...so good luck with having extra lines in the water.....

A few years back out of Bruce I got pulled over 8 miles out of port by a large welded aluminum MNR yacht. Two COs with binoculars worth more than my boat..maybe my house. They said I was running more than 2 lines. I had 2 rods loaded up in the downriggers, a couple rods in side holders with the line swivels clipped to the lower rod guide so the tips were bent...maybe looked like they were in the water. I showed them their error, then they proceeded to go through every imaginable detail of my Lund including the Quebec reg #s on the side..which were perfectly legal as I was able to retain those #s when I re registered in Ontario and had all the paperwork in the boat. Finally came down to my flashlight was dead and thats what I got fined for...so good luck with having extra lines in the water.....
They were obviously hunting... We have multiples of many things. Two bailing buckets plus the bilge pump. About three flashlights. More than required flares. And have never even seen a CO much less being stopped. Go figure....

That yacht... did it look like a flat bottom or dual hull boat? Maybe 28' - 30' long? Did it have nets on the bow with white floats and orange flags?

That yacht... did it look like a flat bottom or dual hull boat? Maybe 28' - 30' long? Did it have nets on the bow with white floats and orange flags?
Probably a flat bottom? A big 30 foot plus welded aluminum yacht.. didn't notice nets. Two co's. While they were checking me, they told me to stay put while they chased down another boat a quarter mile away..they had all my licences and boat registration so what was I supposed to do? They returned, continued a complete boat inspection..all in 3 foot swells. I just got my stuff and left afterwards. I was told by friends I could have fought the ticket but my wife paid it so I didn't.

Inbox

to me, NRISC

Just like I thought

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks