Preserving minnows in vodka.

isn't that a marinade for a pizza topping?.........lol

Never vodka. Have done windshield washer fluid. It works quite well, and gives the minnows either a very slight bluish or greenish hue. Dealers choice. I do some up every year with leftover ice fishing shiners to be used early season on the Detroit river. Can't see why vodka wouldn't work.

Ive been think about salting minnows in my pork casing salt thays left over i recently read on the ood mag that people use to use pork meat for bait while fishimg and i see alot of people using salted minnows so i figuard pork flavoured salted minnows should be a good way to go any one else try that before?

I have done that in the past but used rubbing alcohol. Worked great and is a lot cheaper. Put a scoop of minnows in a bowl of rubbing alcohol. They die pretty much instantly. Transfer the dead minnows into a ziplock, add water and freeze. Pull out of the freezer the night before you go fishing and you’ll have “fresh” minnows.
Rather spend $6 on rubbing alcohol then $30 on a bottle of vodka. But I guess if your brave enough you could drink the vodka after.

I use the water from my water softener tank for my fall leftover shiners. I'm glad to have saved them from fall fishing as not many suppliers have any shiners in stock, and those who do are charging by the dozen. Its been nice perchin' the typical ice grounds right now from my boat, with only the odd duck hunter out on the bay (y)

@ Extra Virgin : Have you been getting good catches ?? Oooh and where were you anchored ??

I keep telling Mrs EV that I'm a good catch..... She prefers the perch 🙄
So @Extra Virgin you have still been using your boat to this point,and still catching perch? 🤔 Something I would have loved to have done as well with my boat,( till the inner bay froze up), if my 90 hp outboard motor wasn’t on the mend! Either way,those are nice looking perch in your boats livewell,but I must agree with Mrs EV though,that I would prefer the perch 🐟😋 over you!! lol 😝 😉 Just kidding my good friend & enjoy your perch fry!! 🐟🐟😋👍🙂

I've done the same as Brandon said. Rubbing alcohol got suddenly very cheap and were on clearance along with masks for awhile there! I got a 2L jug on clearance at No Frills for $1! I also add salt.

I don't like the smell of the rubbing alcohol, and I wonder if the fish do, but the nice thing is your minnows are never frozen solid or salted so dry and crispy you can't hook them.

Vodka sounds like the expensive route compared to the brine water in your water softener tank.

It sounds like rubbing alcohol might be the winner here. I'm really surprised that the fish would not be "put off" with the taste/sent of minnows that have been in robbing alcohol.

As an Irish guy...I think "Irish minnows" would do better in the Vodka! :)

Thanks for the feedback, I'll let you know how it works out, it looks like my season is now over... was good while it lasted I fished and/or guided almost every week since April 15, 2023 (late start), last day on the water was New Year's Eve. We caught some Walleye and a 34" Musky out of the St. Clair River. What an amazing fishery that river is.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks