Possession

foulslayer4

i Would like to know what everyone thinks is their possession limit is for walleye in Lake Erie. What I thought was totally wrong and I would love to here what everyone else thinks
Don

i Would like to know what everyone thinks is their possession limit is for walleye in Lake Erie. What I thought was totally wrong and I would love to here what everyone else thinks
Don

Daily limit is 6 Sport, 2 Conservation and the provincial possession limit regardless of license or where you have fished to get them is 6. Just curious. You said what you thought was totally wrong. What did you think?

6. So when you get home with your take either have a fishfry(best option?) right away or gift it to a family member or friend so you can go bag another 6 asap! Repeat repeat repeat.

6. So when you get home with your take either have a fishfry(best option?) right away or gift it to a family member or friend so you can go bag another 6 asap! Repeat repeat repeat.
:ROFLMAO: I decided I wasn't going to mention "gifting" knowing someone else might.

6 per sport license . It's pretty black and white unless your native. Anyone that told you different is wrong or trying to get you going. There are some odd ball regs out there but erie is pretty clear . Up north where bass possession is 4 you can keep one over the limit providing it's in an arreated live well etc. For 5 fish tournaments etc.

once uou acheive your daily, your done..even if you eat them or give some away, wait till next day then do it again..
Had a gentleman argue that with me about a month ago on the pier. He thought once you reach your daily limit of walleye, that meant you were done fishing for the day. I explained to him that while you have reached your limit on one species (walleye) it is perfectly legal and you can continue to fish still, you just change the target species from walleye to another species, ie perch, rainbows etc. He didn't believe me.

6 per sport license . It's pretty black and white unless your native. Anyone that told you different is wrong or trying to get you going. There are some odd ball regs out there but erie is pretty clear . Up north where bass possession is 4 you can keep one over the limit providing it's in an arreated live well etc. For 5 fish tournaments etc.
dont think so..bass is 6, and tourny limits are 5..there is no excetions for tournaments, even on slot lakes..midland lost out many years ago on a b.a.s.s. tourny due to its 3 fish limit..

Had a gentleman argue that with me about a month ago on the pier. He thought once you reach your daily limit of walleye, that meant you were done fishing for the day. I explained to him that while you have reached your limit on one species (walleye) it is perfectly legal and you can continue to fish still, you just change the target species from walleye to another species, ie perch, rainbows etc. He didn't believe me.
you dont have to change species, just have to release all the rest back in..

i ment keeping fish not eating..

I know what you meant, and I know that if you catch your daily limit you can still catch walleye, and you can release one in your livewell and replace it with the one you just caught so long as the one you release is alive when released and you aren't over your possession limit. I tried to explain that to him as well, but nope, he was having none of it. His interpretation of the regs was once you reach your limit, regardless of species, you are to quit fishing for the day and he certainly did not agree with "gifting," even after I explained to him what I was relaying to him came directly from the ministry. I was wrong. We agreed to disagree and he left.

Bass is 4 in alot of the north . Nippising french etc. There is an exception that you may keep one over if it's in a certain size live well deemed for release or culling. . Take a look at pic right from MNR.
dont think so..bass is 6, and tourny limits are 5..there is no excetions for tournaments, even on slot lakes..midland lost out many years ago on a b.a.s.s. tourny due to its 3 fish limit..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190725-152553_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190725-152553_Chrome.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 20
From the regs:

p10
"The catch limit is the number of fish you are allowed to catch and keep in one day and includes fish that are not immediately released and any fish eaten or given away. The possession limit is the number you are allowed to have in your possession on hand, in cold storage, in transit, or anywhere. Possession limits are the same as one day’s catch limit except where otherwise specified. If you catch a fish after reaching the daily catch or possession limit for that species, the fish must be released immediately. If the limit is zero, anglers may practice catch and release only, and any fish caught must be released immediately."

Doesn't leave much room for interpretation, but rules around gifting are not well explained. Any fish you give away are not part of your possession limit, and you can give away fish (within provincial possession limits) to people with no licence or with a conservation licence. Based on that, I would think that a two person household (for instance) should reasonably be permitted to possess two legally-caught limits of walleye, regardless of who caught them, on the basis that the food is shared in the household (half of any fish I bring home for consumption could reasonably be presumed to be gifted to my wife). Certainly this would be allowed if I gave the fish to someone outside my household, so the same should be true for wife, kids....everyone gets a limit. Just my opinion though, please correct if I'm wrong.

As for bass holding limits and tournaments, the exemption is on p14 - anglers may catch, hold, and selectively live release more than a daily limit of bass provided that no more than 6 LM and SM bass (combined) are held at any one time for fish caught under a sport fishing licence. Note that the regs specifically state "6" for bass, not referencing zone-specific limits as they do for walleye and pike. So if the bass sport limit is 4, you can still hold (and later release) up to 6 provided you meet livewell requirements and size restrictions (if applicable). Refer to regs for full details. Don't try it with walleye or pike - you can selectively hold and then live release as many as you want, but may not at any time hold more than your daily catch limit.

Last edited:
exactly..you cannot have 7 bass in your possession..you can cull, this is why bass tournaments are 5 fish..so you can catch and have 6 bass in your possession, measure ,weigh, what ever, and never be over your limit..remember once you achieve you daily limit of fish, you have to imediatly release all the rest....

Correct, but this regulation also applies in zones where the catch and possession limit for bass is less than 6. This makes it possible to run a bass tournament with a 5-fish limit in places where the angler's daily limit is less than 5.

If you read this section of the regs, you'll see that the number "6" is specifically stated for bass, whereas the live holding limits (at any one time) for walleye and pike are referred back to the zone-specific limits.

Correct, but this regulation also applies in zones where the catch and possession limit for bass is less than 6. This makes it possible to run a bass tournament with a 5-fish limit in places where the angler's daily limit is less than 5.

If you read this section of the regs, you'll see that the number "6" is specifically stated for bass, whereas the live holding limits (at any one time) for walleye and pike are referred back to the zone-specific limits.
Exactly as I said in the north where bass limits are 4..you may hold 5 providing you have the livewell. It says this applies to pike and walleye too. See reg exemption I posted directly from MNR. I fished the callander bay bass open years ago and you could hold 5 but limit was 4. I assumed this was for tournaments reasons.

Back