possession limits

angler

this is something I never thought of. It came up up north this past week.
If the possession limit is one days catch and you freeze some bass for a family diner , until you eat the frozen fish you cannot keep any more bass ?

From my understanding of the regs you would not be able to keep anymore if you already have your limit frozen.

Possession limit

The total number of a species of fish that you can have in your possession at any time. It includes fish caught today and in the past, whether they are:

freshly landed

• in your car or boat
  • in your cooler
  • at home in your fridge or freezer
Your possession limit does not include fish you have:
  • eaten
  • given away

I have a feeling this is a VERY commonly broken law. I would be willing to bet a fair number of the boats you see on any given day harvesting limits of lake Erie walleye already have a stockpile in the freezer at home...

Josh

Yep and we all know that there are people going out, getting their limit, coming back in putting it somewhere and then going back out again. Saw a boat come in today when I was down on the pier in Bruce, 2 guys, showed us a nice big walleye, said they had their limit......20 minutes later same two guys were back out on the lake going for more. :mad:

Go fishing once a week, and eat your fish once a week. I also like to release some of the spawners when I am out.

I agree with the above. There are a lot of hoarder out there.

It would be beneficial if the MNR set an example to avoid this.

The system of leaving skin on the fillet is something else I don't often see from personal experience. (ID)

There are lots of fish out there, I simply would like it to see it continue for generations.

Take some buddy's fishing with you that don't have a freezer full, that's what I do when I have my family limit in the freezer, or try something new, chasing bows, salmon, or bass on erie, st. clair, or Huron. Fishing is so good right now call some friends that haven't been out! You can only eat so many. Share the fun!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks