Fishing Report Port Weller.. ID?

Tboz

Was out for a few hours this morning before the rain came and chased us off the lake. Caught 6, kept two for dinner. All the same size. Alot of fun for my son and me. Only out in 35fow, not even past where the welland canal enters lake ontario.

So. I think they are both chinook? Any other thoughts? They look very different.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20220520_104936.jpg
    20220520_104936.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 223
I was not sure about the left one because only the top of the tail shown but this year lots of cohos! And some of them already passed the smoker and currently a problem for the municipality of K/W :)

Should you keep fish you don’t know what they are? What if they were atlantics

Both coho. Lack of spotting across the entire tail is a good indicator 😉 The shape of the anal fin is also quite different between Coho and Chinook. A Coho anal fin has a leading edge that is nearly the same length as the trailing side. A Chinook will have a much shorter leading edge by comparison. Heres an example, Chinook on the left and Coho on the right...
Screenshot_20220522-193540_Samsung Internet.jpg

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks