Port Stanley

Heading there in the morning with the wife. She always complains that she is cold in the boat but I doubt she will have that problem TOMORROW! lol. I have never been to Port Stanely in my life so I hope the launch is easy to find.
Quick question. I noticed no cell signal in 60 feet off Port Bruce. If you have boat problems out there... are hand held shortwave radios a good answer? This has never been an issue off Bronte or Lake Simcoe but Lake Erie seems to come with her own set of rules.

Heading there in the morning with the wife. She always complains that she is cold in the boat but I doubt she will have that problem TOMORROW! lol. I have never been to Port Stanely in my life so I hope the launch is easy to find.
Quick question. I noticed no cell signal in 60 feet off Port Bruce. If you have boat problems out there... are hand held shortwave radios a good answer? This has never been an issue off Bronte or Lake Simcoe but Lake Erie seems to come with her own set of rules.
finding the launch is not too bad but here is the new twist - no fee to launch but you have to pay for parking ? ? ? radio wise I am not sure as I have a vhf and tall antenna

View attachment 6511 Fished Port Stanley Thurs - out to 60+ FOW and had a limit in 3 hrs - small but good eating size..... going back out on Mon ( conditions permitting ) and will add report at that time.
NICE Catch!! So far it looks as if the weather will stay well into next week.I am looking forward to getting out onto Lake Erie again soon. Enjoy your Walleye Fry!(y)

There are 2 pay stations in the parking area, 1 for cars, 1 for boats and trailers. Make sure you park in the boat/trailer section and pay at that machine, orhewise you will get a ticket. I'm speaking from experience from the first and only time I went to the municipal launch. I think it was a $30 ticket that's after I paid at he cars only machine.

@dyeing... I always use the launch at Stan's Marina in Port Stanley for $15. (y)
The government launch is so-called "free," not so as you have to pay $20 to park and it's crap on any south wind. South winds can blow rollers up the harbour into the launch area making it difficult to launch and near impossible to pull your boat out if they are strong. Like many government projects this one was not very well thought out. I would avoid ever launching there if I were you. ;)

@dyeing... I always use the launch at Stan's Marina in Port Stanley for $15. (y)
The government launch is so-called "free," not so as you have to pay $20 to park and it's crap on any south wind. South winds can blow rollers up the harbour into the launch area making it difficult to launch and near impossible to pull your boat out if they are strong. Like many government projects this one was not very well thought out. I would avoid ever launching there if I were you. ;)
As @Wave Runner mentioned,Definitely avoid the government launch,especially on a South Wind.Here is a photo I took earlier in the Season after having lunch nearby at The Buccaneer Restaurant.TightIMG_9508.JPG Lines,& Walleye's/Trout ON!! (y)

Yup agreed I launched once for an afternoon fish very calm, however it was jet ski city and they were cranking it around the launch making it difficult to get my boat out due to wakes! I have used Stans, but limited parking, I think there is room for maybe 5 or 6 trailers. If the parking is full at Stans is there a spot to park near by? Back in the 80's we used to park on the street out front, looks like that is a no go now.

As @Wave Runner mentioned,Definitely avoid the government launch,especially on a South Wind.Here is a photo I took earlier in the Season after having lunch nearby at The Buccaneer Restaurant.Tight Lines,& Walleye's/Trout ON!! (y)
Right on Erich and that's very mild to other times I've seen it. :eek:

Yup agreed I launched once for an afternoon fish very calm, however it was jet ski city and they were cranking it around the launch making it difficult to get my boat out due to wakes! I have used Stans, but limited parking, I think there is room for maybe 5 or 6 trailers. If the parking is full at Stans is there a spot to park near by? Back in the 80's we used to park on the street out front, looks like that is a no go now.

FYI @PlanB... Stan's Marina has another parking lot right across the road if the marina lot is full. :)

FYI @PlanB... Stan's Marina has another parking lot right across the road if the marina lot is full. :)
Yes,lots of Parking @ Stan's Marina as @Wave Runner mentioned,and I also like their level Boat Ramp.If you need to park across the road from Stan's Marina,they would prefer people to park their vehicle and boat trailer on an angle,to make room for more parking spaces,and to make it is easier to leave once you are done fishing.If you get their before Stan's Marina opens for business,,you may pay them after you have done your Fishing.(y)

Last edited:
Good to know on the parking, thanks folks. I do like Stans ramp and the putt out to the lake is kinda cool, keep your planner board mast down for the bridge! Gives me a chance to get my gear ready as I head to the lake!

Launched at Stan's ramp. Easy in and out. Nice guy. Lines down about 9:00 two riggers and one dipsy. 3 in the box and missed 5. Got those damn flies in places my mama has not seen in 50 years. Three was good for us so came back and did some town exploring. What a nice place! I knew I was in trouble when the wife started to pick up real estate booklets! Nuts. This could cost me some BIG bucks! Thinking about returning Tuesday for a solo trip. See you out there

was out again yesterday ( Sept 25 ) and same program - 62+ FOW - much slower day - took from 9 AM to 3 PM but came home with 12 smallish walleyes - shy of our 3 man limit they were scattered could not find a school like last week - as the saying goes " schools out for summer " good luck all - bring on the perch

Back