Port Rowan - parking/unloading ?

jamieharrower24

Does anybody know or ever use Port Rowan down at the park to access the bay on sled/atv ? Just looking at different options around other than cardiac hill or Collins. I know it takes a bit longer to find the deeper 6' plus water but Ive been hearing of guys doing well in shallower water this season. Pondered going out from there to a cpl spots/holes I have saved on my cell gps.

I used to fish off port Rowan on the ice all the time back in the day , there was rental huts there too , easy to access the ice , just use the canoe launch sorta behind the lions club pavilion I usually did best heading west , if you do go from port Rowan can you post how you do , I’ve been thinking about it , I get tired of st. Willys being sooo busy

Rowan and Collins almost the same just Rowan is free. Not sure if they are plowing the park

@Yakfisherman : It's not you I want to follow it"s YOUR father, where does he leave from... Just kidding.. Keep those reports coming.

yes if somone goes to port please post on how you did!
I fished 6 different spots yesterday west of port Rowan 3 adults 3 kids and nothing we went as far as trying the mouth of big creek , we weren’t marking anything either, then my brother headed east to Collins and that was good action

My daughter and I fished Port Rowan on Saturday, but we were only targeting pike. Hooked 8, landed 4. And an OOS largemouth bass. Marked very view panfish though... a few bluegill and a couple of perch showed up on the aqua vu. But not many. Most fish hooked (hooked because we lost 4) on Jackall rattle baits, with a couple coming on large shiners.

84861989-1D90-4419-9DC6-EF339A526DD6.JPG

My daughter and I fished Port Rowan on Saturday, but we were only targeting pike. Hooked 8, landed 4. And an OOS largemouth bass. Marked very view panfish though... a few bluegill and a couple of perch showed up on the aqua vu. But not many. Most fish hooked (hooked because we lost 4) on Jackall rattle baits, with a couple coming on large shiners.

View attachment 54038
@Braggin Rights and your daughter—“Great Catch!!” & post!! 👍👍 Just a question if you don’t mind me asking to you both,what kind of leader’s are you both using to target those pike’s? Fluorocarbon or steel leaders? There was talk about this topic recently on @stomp where I personally put in my opinion on which leaders to use. I personally have used both types of leader’s over the year’s for pike fishing,but mostly fluorocarbon. Thanks in advance & tight lines and pike’s ON!! to you both & myself & other pike angler’s. 🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟😉👍🙂

Last edited:
@Braggin Rights and your daughter—“Great Catch!!” & post!! 👍👍 Just a question if you don’t mind me asking to you both,what kind of leader’s are you both using to target those pike’s? Fluorocarbon or steel leaders? There was talk about this topic recently on @stomp where I personally put in my opinion on which leaders to use. I personally have used both types of leader’s over the year’s for pike fishing,but mostly fluorocarbon. Thanks in advance & tight lines and pike’s ON!! to you both & myself & other pike angler’s. 🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟😉👍🙂
We had 100LB fluorocarbon leaders on our homemade quick strike rigs... This was a last minute plan and we just made due with what we had.. so we went with the muskie leaders we had on and. Pike had no issue attacking the big minnows on those.

We both started with 40lb braided titanium leaders on our rattle baits, but the Jackall rattle baits nose dive and we kept getting the tail hooks caught on the leader. So, Averie re-tied hers with 20lb Suffix leader material and she had no issues with breaking off... she also got more hits than me... but that could have been her jigging cadence or bait colour.

We actually filmed a video but I'm away for work this week and Averie has hockey and school every day, so it isn't likely that we'll have the edit done until Monday... I will make sure to share as soon as it's done.

@Red Hering

20lb fluorocarbon leader material on her rattle bait... and two 100lb fluorocarbon muskie leaders on her homemade quick strike rig. I used a titanium leader and only hooked one fish on my rattle bait. She also caught a bass on her rattle bait.

A42D06F0-9FF8-479C-ABEF-B14E64FB5BB6.jpeg

BDD83FBF-7BFD-4BAB-8080-4BB1B2C52DA4.png

@Red Hering

20lb fluorocarbon leader material on her rattle bait... and two 100lb fluorocarbon muskie leaders on her homemade quick strike rig. I used a titanium leader and only hooked one fish on my rattle bait. She also caught a bass on her rattle bait.

View attachment 54040

View attachment 54041
@Braggin Rights thanks to you & your daughter Averie for getting back to me and for your help,which is of course,very much appreciated!! 👍👍🙂 I went through some of my fluorocarbon line & stainless steel leader’s this afternoon,and I am anticipating my first trip of the ice fishing season for pike on long point bay soon. I will keep in touch & hopefully the pike’s will be hungry!! Tight lines to you both!! 🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟😉👍🙂

Attachments

• 7A651C4C-7B02-4557-9DF7-7822793C02C5.jpeg
    7A651C4C-7B02-4557-9DF7-7822793C02C5.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 089D3D84-AD66-462C-ADF0-DBF2FDD97DDD.jpeg
    089D3D84-AD66-462C-ADF0-DBF2FDD97DDD.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 15
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks