Fishing Report Port Glasgow

crappiequeen

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Great day out there today with @Mickey Finn ! Went 6 for 8, three bows, three walleye. First bow was over 10, second two came at the same time and we managed to get both in. This time, I allowed the camera to come out and play. I am also including a picture of my boots from a few weeks ago since @Mickey Finn gave me such a hard time about the boot.

Attachments

• 6E680F21-0A48-4D8B-A2FC-4132C998605C.jpeg
    6E680F21-0A48-4D8B-A2FC-4132C998605C.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 210
  • 779715D8-2C81-4B85-9692-1B0349C9F223.jpeg
    779715D8-2C81-4B85-9692-1B0349C9F223.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 182
Great day out there today with @Mickey Finn ! Went 6 for 8, three bows, three walleye. First bow was over 10, second two came at the same time and we managed to get both in. This time, I allowed the camera to come out and play. I am also including a picture of my boots from a few weeks ago since @Mickey Finn gave me such a hard time about the boot.
Update: I think the smaller 'rainbow' was actually a salmon. The meat was red vs pink and the tail is forked.

Update: I think the smaller 'rainbow' was actually a salmon. The meat was red vs pink and the tail is forked.
Yep looks like a coho to me... bit of a guess from the angle of the photo but that tail is a pretty good indicator and I have caught a bunch this year.

Thanks for the report,,,, what FOW where you in, and colour spoons did the bows go for ,,, would also like to get a couple of bows for the smoker.

Thanks for the report,,,, what FOW where you in, and colour spoons did the bows go for ,,, would also like to get a couple of bows for the smoker.
52 feet, down 20-30, on cheaters. Pro-king crushed ice, and greasy chicken wing. Lead core, 6 colours, fire tiger bomber long a.

Those are all 100% Rainbows. The radiating spots over the entire tail is a dead giveaway. Coho have few tail spots, usually only om the top half of the tail. As for the tail, Rainbows start life with a tail that is quite forked and has rounded tips. The tips become more pointed and the rear more flattened as they mature.

Josh

Thanks for the update Josh...
It just seemed the one had a fork in the tail & the meat was very red compared to the other 2 that had a more pale colour to the meat.
It just seemed very different than the other 2 fish.

Thanks for the update Josh...
It just seemed the one had a fork in the tail & the meat was very red compared to the other 2 that had a more pale colour to the meat.
It just seemed very different than the other 2 fish.

Here's a pic from last Summer of the bright red/orange meat from a day;s catch out of Burwell. Once again Josh confirmed the fish as Rainbow and why the colour was as it is.

rainbowmeat.jpg

Does this look about right @Mickey Finn ?

Flesh colour depends on diet, where they are at in their life cycle and to a lesser degree genetics.

Josh

Makes sense Josh since I've heard that farm raised trout & salmon are fed shrimp pellets instead of liver to give the meat that deep colour.
The picture you posted is very close to the colour of the 1 we got yesterday.
I'm curious what it must have been feeding on.
Thanks again for clearing this up.
I will let @crappiequeen know.

Back