Port dover ice fishing

Think it's safe to go out on it this year. It's kind of eerie not seeing really anyone out there even tho it's really flat and seems to be pretty thick from the naked eye.

Is there something I'm missing?

PW, You should ask someone who has already been out, exactly where you want to go Or go yourself and post the conditions.

Its a tough time for anyone to tell you its ok and then you go out and get into trouble...I don't know that area at all and if I did I would still be reluctant to tell you its fine. Conditions change very quickly especially with the temps, direct sunlight and wave action...never mind the wind that Erie is known for. If you go, Be safe! take your time and let someone know where you are going. Weather is changing right now. GPS/Cell/float suit/Spikes.

I was just thinking in the summer they get some pretty good movement in the water, so I was thinking with the water under neith it makes me pretty unsure lol.

I know I would stay away from the marina as the light house already had the yellow green ice that just looks very soft.

I have lived in Pt Dover for eight years ,I dont recall ever seeing anybody icefishing .
I walk down to the pier most days, there was a lot of people out walking on the ice
a few weeks ago, but I dont think they were fishing
I have often wondered, why not .

I saw fresh sled tracks (few of them) down the river out onto the lake Sat. morning. I know a river can change overnight but it looked good a few days ago. Also saw a couple guys out fishing on the ice in front of Port Ryerse on the weekend.

saw one guy walk outmaybe 100yards past the pier at pt bruce and set up don't know how he did

Saw the snowmobile tracks down the river- whoever that was sure is nuts! That river can change in an instant- the other day it was completely frozen, and today wide open. People were even walking down the channel where the pier is on Sunday. I forsure wouldn't feel too safe out on that ice giving it was thawing out...But in saying that I also have no clue how thick it is out that way either. Those are my 2 cents! :)

The opp was waiting for them to return to shore? Is it illegal to be on that ice in this portion of the lake? It looked open a mile out near nanicoke, and
Very very wet. I just figure maybe if no locals are on it.. There is a very good reason for it. And I know they get a lot of waves in that section of the lake.

It's kinda funny that the opp would wait, but wouldn't go out after them.

With back to back days above 5 that part of the lake got wet very very quickly. Just creepy lol.
Might just wait to head back to st williams because I know the ice was two feet thick, let's just hope that warm weather doesn't open up that pressure crack even more then what it already is

The opp was waiting for them to return to shore? Is it illegal to be on that ice in this portion of the lake? It looked open a mile out near nanicoke, and
Very very wet. I just figure maybe if no locals are on it.. There is a very good reason for it. And I know they get a lot of waves in that section of the lake.

It's kinda funny that the opp would wait, but wouldn't go out after them.

With back to back days above 5 that part of the lake got wet very very quickly. Just creepy lol.
Might just wait to head back to st williams because I know the ice was two feet thick, let's just hope that warm weather doesn't open up that pressure crack even more then what it already is

As far as I no you can legally, but township has a sign up says to stay off ice, since township owns port , I assume they worry about liability ,a few weeks back they had drag line smash ice at mouth of river to help flow, a day after froze smooth and people were skating on it less then 24 hrs later, now that shocked all of us, thankfully they did not go threw

I was down at Pt Bruce yesterday - I wouldn't venture out there.

The creek ice looked pretty sketchy to me. There were a few people walking the ice mounds along the beach.

WR

some people 1111111111 I SEEN A PERSON VENTURE OUT ON THE PORT DOVER MARINA ICE HE WENT IN QUICKLY but then theres idiots

I really hope this is NOT the Year for allot of Late Season Mishaps. Ice Conditions will rapidly start changing now all over the Bay. Play it Safe!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks