Fishing Report Port Burwell June 25 2022

SonsofFishes

Lines in about 8 am , started trolling due south at 45' . Surface temp was 64 when we started and 70.1 when we ended at 4 pm .
Sent the fishhawk down a few times to record temps , @ 27' was 50 degrees and 50' was 48 degrees . Water is pretty cold .
Trolled out to 64' . Not a bite . On the cam tho it was fish right away for the first 20 min then nothing for a long time . 4 bows , 1 walleye and 1 silver showed up on cam . Water clarity was not so great till we got an hr into it then cleared up very well but no fish . lol
Not a bite till 12:40 after we turned around at 64' . Rainbow hit when we reached 62' on the captains pole so he told my brother to go for it . It was his first time fishing like this and never caught a trout before so this was a real treat for him . Pulled in a 5 lb bow . He was amazed by the fight .

5 lb Rainbow.JPG

So he`s fighting that fish, captain is waiting with the net , I was driving . After that was all done , returned to my seat then after awhile noticed my pole wasn`t bent over as much as it should be . Started to real in and dipsy was tripped and no Water Melon spoon . Something did a grab`n`dash . Luckily my cam was still rolling to see the culprit . In the vid you will see what happened . 2 very large bows which I`ve only ever seen them by themselves . That would have been a dbbl header if I seen it and the line didn`t break . Ohwell . Awhile later latched onto a 4 lb rainbow .

4 lb Rainbow.jpg

Not long after that another bow hit , went completely bezerk , Almost couldn`t get the rod out of the holder . Constant dancing as it was very determined not to get netted . It was 8 lbs. I won that battle .

8 lb Rainbow.jpg

Then my brother caught a nice silver . No walleyes for us , very slow start but ended up being a great day except for all the flies , love the thermocell .

Last edited:
So, what failed during the strike?

The underwater footage of the big bows was pretty kewl. :D. 🌻

So, what failed during the strike?

The underwater footage of the big bows was pretty kewl. :D. 🌻
I am waiting to hear everyone's answers to your question. We loose bows all the time but love the fight.

I am waiting to hear everyone's answers to your question. We loose bows all the time but love the fight.
Maybe I should rephrase the question.... :unsure:😒

Clasp? Line? Knot? Line test? Snubber / no snubber? Tightness of drag?

Yupper love the fight, wakes up everyone on board that's for sure. 🤪😁 🌻

Last edited:
It broke at the knot , don't know how. I've been using the same knot all my life and don't recall any issues with it . Don't ask what knot for I don't know the name of it . I check the leader really good before I put it on , everything was good . Easy to check knot strength , for the leader I use from the cam to the lure is only 36" long . I use a 20 lb leader . I don't use a snubber . The water was very calm so my tension was set pretty light . Never had a hit prior to this happening but learned a new lesson to check it every time I send it down. So I'm kind of stumped on this one . But man that was a big bow . I apologize for the long intro on the vid . I had the song " Relax " (Franky goes to Hollywood) by Fozzy playing to it but utube had a copyright issue with that so they removed the sound track . I was playing with a GoPro gimbal on a long pole . Works great .

Last edited:
Always love seeing the vids SonsofFishes! I am no knot expert by any stretch of even the most fertile imagination and has bad run of luck with leaders breaking off at the knot when I started getting acquainted with rainbows. After loosing about $60 worth of spoons, I did a little research and learned that my old reliable Palomar knot was not compatible with fluorocarbon. Leaders that I had recently begun using. Apparently "cinch" knots when put under the pressure that rainbows and other big fighters put on the line, the cinch tightens on itself and cuts itself off. I was using good quality 15 lb fluoro, upped it to 20 lb and still had the issue. I then ordered a 200 yard supply of 25 lb fluoro before I decided to check on the internet and learned of this issue with the Palomar/fluoro compatibility issue. I also found some videos touting the "can't fail" knots for fishing and came upon the "double uni-knot" and gave it a try. 2 seasons and a good number of rainbow encounters later, and I have (k)not had a single break off since. I am so confident in this knot that I will go back to using a lighter leader again once I use up the 25 lb fluoro. I am not looking to change the minds of anyone who still swears by the Palomar knot, just stating my own experience with it. I can't recall the site where I first saw the video, but I know there are several showing it. In the meantime, keep the videos coming. I have to live vicariously through the posts on the site until my boat is ready for launch after a big re-build that took more than the winter I had allotted for it. Tight lines and best wishes for continued success.

Always love seeing the vids SonsofFishes! I am no knot expert by any stretch of even the most fertile imagination and has bad run of luck with leaders breaking off at the knot when I started getting acquainted with rainbows. After loosing about $60 worth of spoons, I did a little research and learned that my old reliable Palomar knot was not compatible with fluorocarbon. Leaders that I had recently begun using. Apparently "cinch" knots when put under the pressure that rainbows and other big fighters put on the line, the cinch tightens on itself and cuts itself off. I was using good quality 15 lb fluoro, upped it to 20 lb and still had the issue. I then ordered a 200 yard supply of 25 lb fluoro before I decided to check on the internet and learned of this issue with the Palomar/fluoro compatibility issue. I also found some videos touting the "can't fail" knots for fishing and came upon the "double uni-knot" and gave it a try. 2 seasons and a good number of rainbow encounters later, and I have (k)not had a single break off since. I am so confident in this knot that I will go back to using a lighter leader again once I use up the 25 lb fluoro. I am not looking to change the minds of anyone who still swears by the Palomar knot, just stating my own experience with it. I can't recall the site where I first saw the video, but I know there are several showing it. In the meantime, keep the videos coming. I have to live vicariously through the posts on the site until my boat is ready for launch after a big re-build that took more than the winter I had allotted for it. Tight lines and best wishes for continued success.
Ditch the flouro when you run out. It doesn't have the knot or shock strength of mono and its 'invisibility' is just a myth and sales gimmick.

That said, it does have advantages in some situations. It stretches about 1/2 as much as mono which can be beneficial for feeling strikes and structure when casting. It has better abrasion resistance which makes it good in higher strengths as a leader for Pike/Musky. And it sinks which I find can be an advantage for finesse fishing, particularly using it as a leader for spooky Trout. But none of those things I require for trolling open water. Mono is a far cheaper and more reliable for most of my trolling needs...

Josh

Thanks @Reel-ist . I will definitely do some research cause it sucks loosing gear .
Thanks @Josh . I have been using floro for yrs and never had any stand out issues , I`ll do some research on the different lines .
And what ??? You can see that floro leader in my vids ?

Ditch the flouro when you run out. It doesn't have the knot or shock strength of mono and its 'invisibility' is just a myth and sales gimmick.

That said, it does have advantages in some situations. It stretches about 1/2 as much as mono which can be beneficial for feeling strikes and structure when casting. It has better abrasion resistance which makes it good in higher strengths as a leader for Pike/Musky. And it sinks which I find can be an advantage for finesse fishing, particularly using it as a leader for spooky Trout. But none of those things I require for trolling open water. Mono is a far cheaper and more reliable for most of my trolling needs...

Josh
Agreed on the Fluro

I run 20lb Fluorocarbon 7.5 ft leaders between large dipsey and lure. No issue. Landed bows 15+ lbs on that setup. They hit like a freight train and have jumped high enough out of the water to see the dipsey take air with them. That said before I changed to fluoro I would run 25 lb XT mono with similar results. The only difference was the diameter of the line and it's effect on the lure. Very little difference really. Abrasion is better on fluoro. Mono works and is less expensive - but I'll stick with flouro. I had great results using it.

Leave enough tag end on the knot to allow for pull when wet. I had a friend that trimmed right beside the wraps - that took a few lures that day! The knot wasn't breaking - the line was pulling thru. He lost a lure without the dipsey tripping lol.

I also now check swivels for any bur or squared / flat edges. SPRO bearing swivel is worth the money IMO. We always re tie the knots between the dipsey and lure after a big a battle. Knotts weaken the more times they get exercised for both mono and fluoro. Here is a link for same diameter knot strength flouro vs. Mono.

Knott strength test comparison by diameter.
Tightlines !

Last edited by a moderator:
That Berkley Vanish 20 lb is what I use . I tried the Seaguar 30 lb floro but was too thick dia and my knot didn`t look so great on it .
Didn`t seem to want to tighten up enough .

It`s a Water Wolf 1.0 720p no longer available . Earlier this yr they came out with a 2.0 1080p . This is from Denmark and I seen it on Amazon UK site which they will ship to Canada . I`m keeping an eye on that site so when avail. I`m ordering a cpl .

I seen that site before DST but years ago I ditched my PayPal account so I forgot about it . That's the old model I run now . Waiting for the 2.0 to get better features . Higher res , better lighting, easy to see charge indicator, anti-shock and a separate light to make things better down there. That I don't mind paying their price for . I only paid $119 Canadian for my 1.0 . Six months later they jumped to $200.
I really love the quality of the water Wolf, my only issue is that the video quality degrades an awful lot coming out of YouTube. Original file is cristal clear .

Last edited:
Thanks @Reel-ist . I will definitely do some research cause it sucks loosing gear .
Thanks @Josh . I have been using floro for yrs and never had any stand out issues , I`ll do some research on the different lines .
And what ??? You can see that floro leader in my vids ?

Flouro will most definitely work, I just much prefer mono for that application. Another thing is thing to mention is the inconsistencies of flouro, I've had bad spools from bearly every manufacturer. Ask any die hard steelheader thats tried a bunch over the years and they're sure to have stories of inconsistency.

And that's right, flouro being invisible is nothing more than a sales gimmick. I've even had this conversation with reps that completely agree 😂 A simple test will tell you all you need to know.....take a piece of clear mono the same diameter as your flouro and place them side by side under water.....no real difference

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks