Port Burwell Dredging?

Jwalsh

http://www.simcoereformer.ca/2012/09/18/cold-war-era-sub-ojibwa-is-expected-to-boost-tourism-in-the-area

It appears that sub will be in Port Burwell on November 14th. Does anyone know if they started dredging the harbour yet?

they can't dredge until 2nd or third week in October. Rainbow is running up the creek. Until the run is complete then everything is on hold. that's why the November date.

The run goes in various stages, on and off September right through to april. Typically incoming fish slow December and January, fish already in the creek hold up in the deep water. I would think December would be when they want to get it done not November.

Who makes the decision on when they dredge? I think more fish will run the river in November, that's when the rains come. Anyone know what the river looks like now? The graph shows it went up pretty good.

They were supposed to do it in July/August.

If they haven't finished by now, they should wait.

The Aylmer District MNR should have issued a work permit for the dredging along with timing conditions; The LPRCA should have been involved also. Both offices would have had a say in the timing of the dredgeing.

I sure hope it's not being done now....

WR

If history repeats itself dredging won't start until next summer.

Stick

DSC00152.jpg
"Rivers are living things, sometimes swollen and discoloured, other times thin and anaemic. Spend enough time around a particular river, you learn to read its moods, like a spouse reads a partner."

Gord Ellis ONTARIO OUT OF DOORS

The hypocracy in this province makes me sick! If that river is dredged this fall it will only further prove that conservation for our fish and streams is only a nice little story to nail people for a few more millions in " red tape fee's"! The potential for destruction to a NATURAL migration would be a million times more leathal than any angler or common person could ever accomplish! I sure hope the MNR is going to stand behind there objerctive on this one.....Bring the hunk of old useless steel in when it best suits the needs of CONSERVATION.

I've just fired off an email to my MPP Jeff Yurek.

I've expressed my concern that if any dredging is required now for the sub to come into Port that it should be postponed.

DFO, MNR and the LPRCA are the 3 agencies who should have had a say in the works and the timing - hopefully, they will enforce and address the timing which I am sure that they all noted when reviewing/approving the dredging work.

WR

Well if you want to ask them questions about this dredging, and the effect on the spawning run for Rainbows...... here is their contact E-mail address......

question4@projectojibwa.ca

Get involved here, and write them a note expressing your concerns, or better yet, contact the MNR and see what the dredging date really is ! (and complain loudly if it will be detremental to the Rainbow run !).

Muggzi

the protection of fisheries is very important but the stimulus of an economy out weighs it. the run in the otter is not a major run and they run in groups from now till spring. dredging won't affect the run other than hold them up a little but at night they will move up. it does not affect spawning beds and is temp. it will make things better for the future maybe a park with good ramps etc. they build highways and bridges on bronte and the credit and the fish still make it in.we often complain about things not being done and when they do it we complain again. look at it this way finaly someone is looking at burwell. hope for more progress in the future dont hold it up.

Legislation that offers fisheries or environmental protection, such as the federal Fisheries Act, or the provincial Environmental Protection Act are there specifically to ensure that economic reasons don't out weigh fisheries or environmental concerns with a project. Any work that is undertaken within a water body has timing conditions among other concerns to protect that waterbody and the creatures that use it. The DFO, MNR and LPRCA are the 3 agencies that would have reviewed and approved the dredging.

Every work even those in the GTA have to have approved work permits that will have timing and other environmental conditions to protect the watercourses. Even bridge construction that may take more than a year will have conditions attached to the permit.

I look forward to seeing the sub at Port but not at the expense of sitting back and watching any potential adverse impact to the fish migration.

WR

Walleye5, a park with good ramps? Not a big run? You must work for the dredging company.

no I dont but am very fmiliar with regulations as i DO WORK IN heavy contruction.I STEELHEAD FISH also and have respect for ature but the hypocrasy of this is the very people that worry about the dreging affecting the run are the very ones that day after day on the lake limit after limit of perch and walleye but thats ok. but back to the dredging maybe a week and its done virtually no effect on the run and its back to normal. I RESPECT ALL THE BOARD MEMBERS HERE they are a class bunch so no hard feelings but in my opinion it wont matter when they dredge.

I was in Pt. Burwell at noon today and the dredging company has their equipment all set up and will begin on Monday morning.

I contacted MNR Alymer District Office about this and was told that because it's a Federal Small Craft Harbour, i.e., Federal land, MNR / LPRCA have no say in this matter. Only DFO has responsibility for the fishery aspect.

Will the Port still be open during the dredging?

BD

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146

A patient of mine who owns a cottage in Burwell told me they will dredge the channel just 3-4 days before arrival. that makes sense so that a storm won't cause it to fill back in.

Blastr

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks