Port Bruce Sept. 5 morning

wallywalleye

I know this will sound like bragging to Bobo but this is for the rest of you that are interested in fishing reports. For the second trip in a row we managed a 3 man limit of 150 8-10 inch perch. Once again there was a lot of sorting but had our limit by 11.00 am. We lost some time as we caught around 10 huge sheephead that really tested our perch tackle to the limit. The one fellow I took had no idea how to catch perch but after hooking him up with a perch rig and a little coaching was doing just fine. He was a little more than apprehensive at first about my salty minnows saying "we're actually going to use dead bait?" I told him for the last 15 years that's all I have ever used and when prepared properly will work just as good. He soon became a believer when he started getting doubles one after another.

There's still lots of perch in 35 FOW straight south of the pier however they are smaller than earlier in the year. This was my final trip for perch as I'm using the rest of the season for walleye before they're gone for another year. Good luck fishing guys. :D:D

3 man limit of perch back to back???? that gives you 300 reasons to do some braggin in my book---so what if they're a little "smaller", they'll taste just as good if not better then a p#$ss pot of jumbos.

what method do you use for your salties???

BTW-----WTG:D:D

[img=left]http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/067096.gif[/img=left]

Way to go, nice catch. Good to hear newbies catching fish. Thanks for the honorable mention, glad to hear you are thinking of me while "bragging"!

Hi all. I am new to perch fishing and could use some advice. What amount of weight are you adding to the end of your line when using a pic/perch rig? What is your technique for enticing and hooking perch?

If there aren't any minnows available, I was planning to use some Gulp Alive minnows and drop shotting and/or pic rigs with my medium graphite rods (mono).

I appreciate any help and welcome PMs if you care to share.

If you don't have live minnows try using blasting caps on the end of your hook. They work awesome and you get multiple fish with every cast, lol,lol

quote:
Originally posted by scrimmy

If you don't have live minnows try using blasting caps on the end of your hook. They work awesome and you get multiple fish with every cast, lol,lol

Sometimes referred to as C.I.L Wobblers....

I use nothing but braid on my perch rods. The lack of stretch makes the bite more easily felt, as for weight I run between 1 and 1.5ounces. I like to have the weight on bottom and lift just enough to load the rod without lifting the weight. When you get a bite a simple wrist movement and start reeling immediately.

I dont go without live minnnows:D

BD

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146

packrat...For my salties I use fresh lake minnows I net, then once home I immediately drain them well then package them in freezer bags with a liberal amount of road salt, the kind you use on your sidewalk or driveway. I then close the bag with air in it and shake lightly flipping over top to bottom to coat all minnows inside. Push out as much air as possible, seal the bag and keep them in the freezer. When fishing I keep them in a small cooler with the bags covered with ice and take them out as I need them. The key is to always close the cooler to keep the minnows from going soggy in the heat. They have always produced for me without the hassle of trying to keep your minnows alive.

I learned this method many years ago from some very successful Michigan ice fisherman. Remember the trick is to do it the proper way using the road salt not table salt which will only leave you a soggy mess. Kosher salt or pickling salt works but is very expensive, around $4 for 2 lb. bag when road salt works even better for around $4.50 for a 25 lb. bag. Just remember that just like live minnows to have no more than 120 minnows for each person in your group to remain legal with the regulations. Good luck!

Big Dave...I don't argue with success, anybody that puts 10,000 perch in the boat using live minnows I wouldn't even remotely suggest changing tactics. Live minnows certaining will always catch perch but these salties will also. Anyone that's worth their salt, and that's not meant to be a pun, to be successful sticks with what works for them. I just know that if I was perch fishing on your boat I would catch just as many perch as anyone else using the live minnows. I'm not really sure why, but it is true that I have had many times when my salties have outfished boats around me using live minnows and it wasn't because they were lousy fishermen. I've talked to other guys that have tried salties with poor or little success and that once included myself until I used the method I learned from those Michigan ice fishermen many years ago.

I'm not trying to be smart or remotely trying to say that salties work better than live bait all the time. I'm just saying that for me they have always worked just as well and no B.S. that's simply a fact. :D:D

i2cool2fool...Read Big Dave's post about using the braid with 1-1.5 oz. weight as well as the method for hooking perch. It's exactly the same method I have used for almost ever and it works to perfection. That's how this guy's charter boat put 10,000 perch in it, so until somebody comes up with a way that's any better then I would stick with it.

It that don't work for you then maybe you could try Scrimmy's trick. Ah no, I was just kidding! :D:D

Jigging rapala on the bottom and a micro tube a foot up both tipped with live minnows will work just as good as a pickerel rig, you will never get totally robbed and will never have bare hooks.

I will try salties.8D

For my charters the live stuff is best. Hard to convince guys I am not just cheaping out....lol

BD

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146

Use pencil weights. Been using 1/2 oz drop shot weights with braid the last 2 summers with great results. Alot less resistance to both fall and hook set then with a bell sinker.

all great info guys thks:D

[img=left]http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/067096.gif[/img=left]

Hi There
I never been fishing at Port Bruce
How for out do do get 35 FOW?
I am interested to go fishing there some day

BD...I hear you on that one big guy, you don't need any static especially if there's a Bobo's onboard. But then maybe you could use him for anchor by cramming him into big bag a road salt and chucking him into one of those boats that want to keep parking on top of you in a lake the size of Europe. :D:D:D

lovefishing...I wish I could give you an accurate distance but I'm terrible for remembering to put my trip odometer on so I'll give you my best guess of 1-1.5 miles or so. Maybe someone else on here can give you the exact distance to 35 ft. because they do happen to remember to reset their trip odometer once in awhile. 8D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks