Fishing Report Port Bruce Perch June 30th

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
After hearing all the great perch reports from @Duck Soup, @Three Bouys, @BozoBrody, @hvyhaul and others we decided to give them a shot this morning. Wrong call should have gone walleye fishing instead. :rolleyes: We only managed a measly 5 perch none of which came from the same spot and 4 of them we gave to @Trevor M who had about 20 fishing off the pier, go figure. 🤷‍♂️ Darren missed 1 in the cooler Trevor or you would have taken home an extra one. :sorry: Well I throw in the towel that's my last trip for Central Basin perch, maybe somewhere else but definitely not Bruce again. 🥱

The highlight of the morning was this big catfish that wanted to destroy my little perch rod. He hit when I was trying to take a leak and in the excitement I forgot to close the barn door, LOL! 😁

PXL_20220630_131303815 (360x640).jpg

@Wave Runner I like @scrimmy walleye and rainbow fishing post from off Port Glasgow from today better,😉 than you both trying to catch those “mythical creatures,” out off Port Bruce today.😏 Well,at least you and Darren both tried on such a beautiful sunny 🌞 day,and tight lines to you both & Fish ON!! 🚤🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟🤞👍🙂

Isnt it always the way it goes nuthin happens till busy doin that or grabbin a bite

We have a few on this side of Long Point Bob but nothing compared to what anglers in the central basin enjoyed for many years. Not long ago I'd make a trip to the other side of L.P. to add a guaranteed 50 perch to my winter supply of the tasty little fish. It would be nice if the professionals managing the resource would clue us in on what is happening and what is being done about it.

After hearing all the great perch reports from @Duck Soup, @Three Bouys, @BozoBrody, @hvyhaul and others we decided to give them a shot this morning. Wrong call should have gone walleye fishing instead. :rolleyes: We only managed a measly 5 perch none of which came from the same spot and 4 of them we gave to @Trevor M who had about 20 fishing off the pier, go figure. 🤷‍♂️ Darren missed 1 in the cooler Trevor or you would have taken home an extra one. :sorry: Well I throw in the towel that's my last trip for Central Basin perch, maybe somewhere else but definitely not Bruce again. 🥱

The highlight of the morning was this big catfish that wanted to destroy my little perch rod. He hit when I was trying to take a leak and in the excitement I forgot to close the barn door, LOL! 😁

View attachment 59413
At least you got out today and tried Bob. As soon as I saw the boat I knew who it was floating around out there. Thanks again for the 4 you gave me. :)

Don't give up. Save some gas and come join me on the pier instead, although I won't be there until maybe late next week now.

Funny you mention the barn door being open when you took the picture after landing that thing. When I was walking back to "my spot" with the 4 you gave me someone asked me "where and how the hell did you get those?" I told him "up there in the channel" with a rather colorful explanation of what I dipped in the water to get'em. Everyone around had a good laugh and told him he deserved that kind of an answer when I let EVERYONE, including him, know that I knew you and was going to come see how you fared before I wandered up thataway. While I was doing that, the guy sitting beside me asked me if I wanted the fish he had just caught with MY fishing rod. :ROFLMAO:

Responding to Duck Soup , I would rather these so called resource professionals clue us in to why the Longpoint Bay smallmouth fishery is going down the toilet . I don’t see any management effort being put into why this once great resource is in danger of disappearing. Something is clearly wrong !

View attachment 59413
I'm sorry wasn't a great day but your story was pretty funny.

We have a few on this side of Long Point Bob but nothing compared to what anglers in the central basin enjoyed for many years. Not long ago I'd make a trip to the other side of L.P. to add a guaranteed 50 perch to my winter supply of the tasty little fish. It would be nice if the professionals managing the resource would clue us in on what is happening and what is being done about it.
The only theory I've heard is that the record populations of Walleye have pressured the perch fishery. Walleye will target perch a certain times of year and with record numbers of Walleye in the central basin the Perch populations may be being stressed, it's great to have lots of eye's around and easy limits but it may come at a cost to other fishery's.The only response to this is to raise the allowable catch of Walleye in the lake and decrease the catch of perch, however the Lake Erie agreement only allows for a 20% increase in allowable catch which still leaves a huge population of Walleye to stress the perch fishery.

Yes those were the days perch fishing that's for sure Arnie. Hopefully the numbers will return some year.

Hey Bob, next time you're considering a perch trip out of Bruce, let me know ahead of time and I'll send you a PM with a spot that might produce for you. It's a little further than where you went. (Like I've said to others, I know where to go, I just can't cast that far from the pier :ROFLMAO:)

Back