Pork Leg on the smoker?

FrankTheTank

My mum just told me that theres pork leg for a buck something a pound at food basics dunnville she picked 2 up 25$ a peice going to do one in the slow cooker but i was wonderi g if anyone had done one in a smoker looking for time and temp maybe a recipe but ill probably just go with the brisket rub also what wood would be best with it ussally i do a hickory mesquite blend for almost everythi g brisket ribs chicken just wondering about some suggestions thanks

My temp for smoking is 225* - 250* and run it until I get the temp/texture I'm looking for in the meat.

I put a lot more seasoning on pork than beef but that is just me.

Your normal blend of wood is fine, I did our Christmas turkey with the blend I last used for brisket.

There were no complaints. 😋😁🌻

I usually see pork legs and shoulders on sale this time of year, last year made a bunch of fresh sausage and smoked a load of chipotle pepperoni. One of those pork legs smoked would make a hell of a pile of pulled pork !! Enjoy !

Would you just leave uncovered the whole time or wrap it at somepoint like a brisket or ribs?

I would say, your call. No wrap better bark.

Is it skinned or still have all the fat and skin on it? You'll have a tough time seasoning it "fully clothed" LoL 🌻

Brine it up and season it like a pork shoulder, pulled pork style? Get an injector for deep penetration.

Those are usually skin on, any time I've bought them ...

If you want it like pulled pork, I'd just skin it, then season and smoke as usual for picnic shoulders, butts etc. Like @hvyhaul said, 225 - 250, until it is done! I’d count on it taking 8+ hours, but can’t recall exactly. I usually smoke pulled pork a few hours and then shove it in the oven to braise (kind of a cheat… but I don’t have a traeger to make it automatic in the smoker!).

You can also take the whole legs apart and make smaller roasts, find nice pieces to use for schnitzel, kebabs etc and grind the rest. There are some nice big muscles in the thick part that make a nice roast in the oven.

Well turns out it was pork shoulder she bought dont know if the sign was wrong or she frabbed the wrong thing but now the question is make some sausauge or pulled pork im thinking going for a pulled pork i have never done one in a smoker before only the crockpot

Attachments

• 20240103_175403.jpg
    20240103_175403.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240103_175352.jpg
    20240103_175352.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 20
If you do pulled pork and want to try something, here's an awesome vinager based sauce recipe. I got it from Smoking Dad bbq on YouTube and it's a big hit with family and friends that like something less sweet then your typical bbq sauces.

If you do make it, I would recommend doubling the recipe for that amount of pork.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240105_182926_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240105_182926_Gallery.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
We also like doing the smoker thing and then just slicing it like a nice juicy, greasy roast. Rotisserie on the BBQ is great for that as well.

Now I want to smoke a pork shoulder...

Fomo?
@Crummybun while I was at the Canadian Superstore in London this morning around 8:30, I noticed pork shoulder and pork leg on display (photo’s),for sale there. I thought that I would share this to you and all,but @FrankTheTank wife,might of have gotten a better deal at Food Basic,according to the label on the pork shoulder,that she had bought there. Either way,happy “pork smokin” to whoever is doing this. 🐖 😋 👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_2490.jpeg
    IMG_2490.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2494.jpeg
    IMG_2494.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2495.jpeg
    IMG_2495.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2491.jpeg
    IMG_2491.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2493.jpeg
    IMG_2493.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 17
@Crummybun while I was at the Canadian Superstore in London this morning around 8:30, I noticed pork shoulder and pork leg on display (photo’s),for sale there. I thought that I would share this to you and all,but @FrankTheTank wife,might of have gotten a better deal at Food Basic,according to the label on the pork shoulder,that she had bought there. Either way,happy “pork smokin” to whoever is doing this. 🐖 😋 👍🙂
You can't do much better then that @Red Hering ! I will smoke a shoulder like that when I have room in the freezer. We have 3 people in our home that enjoy pork. The forth only like bacon and ham, at least she eats that, lol. You can imagine how long a big shoulder like that will last us. I vacuum pack it in 2 lb bags. It's fantastic for a quick and easy dinner. Just add some fresh rolls and some coleslaw? Cheers!!

You can't do much better then that @Red Hering ! I will smoke a shoulder like that when I have room in the freezer. We have 3 people in our home that enjoy pork. The forth only like bacon and ham, at least she eats that, lol. You can imagine how long a big shoulder like that will last us. I vacuum pack it in 2 lb bags. It's fantastic for a quick and easy dinner. Just add some fresh rolls and some coleslaw? Cheers!!
Thanks for your reply back,and also for your great tip’s as well @Crummybun 👍🙂 My wife and I will need to try a pork shoulder,and a pork leg sometime soon. Thanks again & Cheers! right back to you! 🐖😋 👍🙂

I'm tempted, but I either buy it and freeze it for a later date or I need a bunch of people with the same near future date to be available.

That's way too much pulled pork for two people. 🤔😳🌻

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks