Off Topic Polaris stuck in reverse

Tickville

So I have a new to me 07 polaris iq 750 fst turbo that's stuck in reverse. I'm storing it at a friend's barn and asked him to fire it up every once in while. Today he decided to take her for a run. He reversed out of the barn, and quickly found it wouldn't switch back to forward drive so reversed it back in the barn. Any Intel would be great.

there might be some sort of safety switch that you have to hold down/pull in/squeeze brake or something like that. Sounds like there is a detent stopping it shifting back.

The rpms have to be low for it to engage. If sled hasnt warmed up and idled down the electric solenoid would engage or disengage. The clutches also if rusty or stuck it wont idle down and will rotate the belt. Try manually opening the clutches with your hand.
If still stuck in reverse. Lift and support the rear so track is in the air and rock the track back and forth. In the gearbox the splines can get a burr on them. Rocking the track might free it up for now. Worse is the spline in the centre of the gear is burred or damaged worse. I eventually had to be replaced.
Check and clean all electrical connections to the gearbox and put delectric grease on them as moisture will weaken volt needed to shift.

If you have to work on the gearbox make sure you change front track bearings. Grease them if they have grease fittings. Absolute b#/&@% to replace.

My 08 left 4 years ago. Physically couldn't ride anymore but I have to say my bank account couldn't be happier.

Iโ€™d pull the chain case cover off and clean it all out real good and have a good look at it if thereโ€™s now broken gears then itโ€™s just sticking add new chain case oil and try er out

Honda doesnโ€™t make snowmobiles
I thought he was talking about an atv. I am
further north than most of the people on this site and both my sleds are still in the shop. Not enough snow to ride them.

I believe the four strokes use an actuator driven mechanical reverse. Standard diagnosic procedure for any electric device.
Power to actuator - yes or no
If No - diagnose power source issue
If Yes - remove actuator, plug actuator in and try to shift - does actuator move?
If Yes - check the gear box for binding or other mechanical problems
If No - try to shift gears manually
If you are able to shift gears manually I would be looking into bench testing the actuator further or replacing it.

Believe it or notโ€ฆHonda did make a snowmobileโ€ฆin the early 70โ€™s

@noclass... After seeing the photo of it and reading the story I can understand why Honda's snowmobile never survived. :giggle:

@noclass... After seeing the photo of it and reading the story I can understand why Honda's snowmobile never survived. :giggle:

@Wave Runner itโ€™s good to know that some other Honda products are fantastic and they have survived,such as Honda outboard motors,๐Ÿ‘ like the one that you have been using for yearโ€™s,and I am loving ๐Ÿฅฐ my Honda generator as well,with great warrantyโ€™s,etc. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments

• 02F8D429-95BB-4750-A02C-ABA750567091.jpeg
    02F8D429-95BB-4750-A02C-ABA750567091.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 68B27692-6CE8-4333-9A87-54DAE40FEAFA.jpeg
    68B27692-6CE8-4333-9A87-54DAE40FEAFA.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 5
@Red Hering... I agree Honda makes excellent products ๐Ÿ‘ and I have no doubt they could also produce a fantastic snowmobile if they so choose to do so. Apparently, Honda never got into the modern snowmobile market, saying it's too small of a market for Honda to reasonable enter, given what it would cost to tool up and establish a new product. Honda started the ATV which was a huge success and money maker for them. They only see the snowmobile as a money loser in comparison so still have no interest in entering it today because they just don't see a market for a $20,000 snowmobile.

@Red Hering... I agree Honda makes excellent products ๐Ÿ‘ and I have no doubt they could also produce a fantastic snowmobile if they so choose to do so. Apparently, Honda never got into the modern snowmobile market, saying it's too small of a market for Honda to reasonable enter, given what it would cost to tool up and establish a new product. Honda started the ATV which was a huge success and money maker for them. They only see the snowmobile as a money loser in comparison so still have no interest in entering it today because they just don't see a market for a $20,000 snowmobile.
@Wave Runner I agree โ˜๏ธ on what you are saying about the Honda snowmobile,๐Ÿ‘ about being a money loser for Honda. I do love those Honda ATVโ€™s!! They are beauties,especially the โ€œREDโ€ ones!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ˜‰ I know,a lot of Honda brands are Red,such like my Honda generator!! lol ๐Ÿ˜† Now,if Honda would sell โ€œRedโ€ outboard motorโ€™s, I would be very convinced to buy one!! ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

@Wave Runner I agree โ˜๏ธ on what you are saying about the Honda snowmobile,๐Ÿ‘ about being a money loser for Honda. I do love those Honda ATVโ€™s!! They are beauties,especially the โ€œREDโ€ ones!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ˜‰ I know,a lot of Honda brands are Red,such like my Honda generator!! lol ๐Ÿ˜† Now,if Honda would sell โ€œRedโ€ outboard motorโ€™s, I would be very convinced to buy one!! ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚
o_O A red Honda outboard would be as out of place as a red Mercury on a red Lund. :eek:
You could probably get one though if you wanna trade down to a slightly older model. ๐Ÿ˜

7182411383405a72f9f02bfac20c7dc0.jpg

o_O A red Honda outboard would be as out of place as a red Mercury on a red Lund. :eek:
You could probably get one though if you wanna trade down to a slightly older model. ๐Ÿ˜

7182411383405a72f9f02bfac20c7dc0.jpg
๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ @Wave Runner !! ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘Š I will trade down to a slightly older model from my black mercury outboardโ€™s,because,โ€that โ€œREDโ€ colour mercury in your photo,does look very, ๐Ÿคฉ โ€œSharp!!โ€ ๐Ÿคฉ ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘, and it/they would look great on my ,โ€REDโ€ Lund!! ๐Ÿ˜,and where would I be able to find/buy one or two ?? ๐Ÿง Thanks in advance my good friend!! lol ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments

• 703F9DFB-5D46-4FD1-B817-85111AE1D656.jpeg
    703F9DFB-5D46-4FD1-B817-85111AE1D656.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Got enough problems with the 90 without going back to 20-1 premix lol
Very true!! ๐Ÿ˜’ @Dmanwithnoname and thanks ๐Ÿ™ (NOT!! ๐Ÿ˜ข),for reminding me!! ๐Ÿซค Nerd!! lol ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ™‚ You are right though @Dmanwithnoname my 90 4 stroke Mercury outboard motor definitely caused me a lot of headacheโ€™s last year,( thumbs down ๐Ÿ‘Ž ๐Ÿ˜’), mostly when I was miles offshore on Lake Erie while I was walleye fishing,and thank goodness ๐Ÿ˜…, I had my 9.9 4 stroke Mercury outboard motor as well,to get me back into shore!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ I have a lot of walleye catching up to do this year,out on Lake Erie,and fingers crossed ๐Ÿคž,that I will not have anymore 90 4 stroke outboard motor issues!! ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments

• D8AF8208-15C4-4390-AFCD-59A94EA1FA75.jpeg
    D8AF8208-15C4-4390-AFCD-59A94EA1FA75.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 12
  • 17AFB311-5BAD-4433-B57F-296F3D2C0F32.jpeg
    17AFB311-5BAD-4433-B57F-296F3D2C0F32.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Red is that a NEW truck, thought you had a red one same as the LUND .?
Good eyes ๐Ÿ‘€ @Red Fisher and No,itโ€™s not my new truck,but a friend of mines truck. Yes,I still have a red truck,to pull my red lund boat. lol ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments

• 230538DE-6A10-4023-BAA7-0AA4B9CDDCD8.jpeg
    230538DE-6A10-4023-BAA7-0AA4B9CDDCD8.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 8
  • E617B148-9D31-4ED0-A738-553BAD96CA8F.jpeg
    E617B148-9D31-4ED0-A738-553BAD96CA8F.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ @Wave Runner !! ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘Š I will trade down to a slightly older model from my black mercury outboardโ€™s,because,โ€that โ€œREDโ€ colour mercury in your photo,does look very, ๐Ÿคฉ โ€œSharp!!โ€ ๐Ÿคฉ ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘, and it/they would look great on my ,โ€REDโ€ Lund!! ๐Ÿ˜,and where would I be able to find/buy one or two ?? ๐Ÿง Thanks in advance my good friend!! lol ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚
The only one I could find for sale was this beauty if you don't mind stepping down to 50 hp from your current 90. ;) ๐Ÿ˜

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks