Plunking local rivers

chesapeakeman

Looking to try plunking for steelhead in local rivers. Any suggestions? Maybe Bayfield or Maitland near the mouth?

Looking to try plunking for steelhead in local rivers. Any suggestions? Maybe Bayfield or Maitland near the mouth?
Both,I'm more a bayfield guy this time a year.always some bows sniffing close to shore and around both piers late October all tell ice up

I have been thinking about Big Creek. Anyone have any info on rivers streams around Port Dover?

Take your 12 foot tinney with the electric trolling motor up the Big otter from Burpwel. I've had some good days doing that. Just don't tell anyone.

Lots of steelhead in most rivers nowView attachment 51467
Actually numbers are way down and with the rivers all running high for a month or many fish have pushed far upriver and they are very spread out. Not much hanging around the river mouths at all either......and thats an old pic judging by the fact theres zero leaves on the trees 🤔

Fishing has been tough overall and I wouldn't expect a whole lot of action near the river mouths until the tribs have dropped and stayed low for a bit.

And FYI, you won't likely get any specific reports from the more knowledgeable and successful Steelheaders. Mentioning trib names or posting pictures that give away locations is a big no no among the die hard steelhead community 😉

I was up last week niner bayfield and maitland. Plenty of fish in niner and bayfield. The maitland was still too mighty to get close enough to fish it. I am sure it is the same. The guys fishing the mouth were into a few fish also.

One more thing to ad.....Please take into consideration that due to Covid there was no egg takes and therefore no stocking taking place the past 2 seasons on the lower Lake Huron tributaries. That fact, coupled with the overall lower returns the past few seasons is a good reason to practice catch and release, particularly of prime spawning females.

Josh

Don't wade rivers, just looking to fish from shore/ piers or beach near river mouths. Huron tributaries are closest too me. Open to other locations, if not too far. Thanks and good fishing.

Its less about secrect spots and more about private land access especially for erie tribs. Been a better trout season than last year already for erie flows . Back out tomorrow for another round.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks