Pier Fishing?

chesapeakeman

Anyone fishing off of the piers at Port Bruce or Port Burwell? Looking to get out for some cats.

There have been a few people fishing off the pier in Pt Bruce, but it was too windy to fish off the pier today was my thought when I looked at the weather sites I look at, but I'm planning to go tomorrow morning and then again probably Monday.

There have been a few people fishing off the pier in Pt Bruce, but it was too windy to fish off the pier today was my thought when I looked at the weather sites I look at, but I'm planning to go tomorrow morning and then again probably Monday.
A offshore wind @Trevor M should help keep the waves down around the Port Bruce pier tomorrow,but it will be much cooler for the morning temperature,but hopefully the perch will be hungry for you when you arrive. Tight lines & perch ON!! 🎣🐟😉👍😎

A offshore wind @Trevor M should help keep the waves down around the Port Bruce pier tomorrow,but it will be much cooler for the morning temperature,but hopefully the perch will be hungry for you when you arrive. Tight lines & perch ON!! 🎣🐟😉👍😎
Thanks Red. The morning temperature won't bother me. I have a jacket to wear if I have too.;)

Thanks Red. The morning temperature won't bother me. I have a jacket to wear if I have too.;)
Very true @Trevor M jackets are handy!! 😉👍🙂 LOL 😂 The cold temperature’s never bother me either,wether I am ice fishing 66D88BB0-99E6-4F2A-AD06-B6836B489FAC.jpeg or sitting in my boat in the early Spring or late Fall.E0DB241D-889D-4FE0-BECA-B5E0E7F1D63F.jpeg etc. I am hoping to still meet up with you on the Port Bruce pier sometime this year,& save me some perch 😉 &
good luck tomorrow. 🎣🐟👍🙂

Very true @Trevor M jackets are handy!! 😉👍🙂 LOL 😂 The cold temperature’s never bother me either,wether I am ice fishing View attachment 42267 or sitting in my boat in the early Spring or late Fall.View attachment 42270 etc. I am hoping to still meet up with you on the Port Bruce pier sometime this year,& save me some perch 😉 &
good luck tomorrow. 🎣🐟👍🙂
Won't be hard to find me if I'm there. Look for me up near the end or by the light tower. Fat guy, ball cap, blue chair, old green litter pail with a blue lid as my bait bucket and a DIY rod holder that does the job. (that I promised to take a picture of once I go this year, so IF I remember, I'll do that tomorrow)

Or you could just do what someone else did a few years ago who was looking to meet me on the pier and who just outright asked, "WHO'S TREVOR FROM STOMPS" and I just happened to be there, so I answered him. :ROFLMAO:

I anchored the pier down on Tuesday morning along with my daughter for about 5 hrs. Between the two of us we caught 4 sheephead a few silver bass or white perch, not sure which one. We also caught 15 - 20 yellow perch, mostly throwbacks with one coming in at 11.5". My daughter also caught a goby and the biggest walleye she's ever caught!

I anchored the pier down on Tuesday morning along with my daughter for about 5 hrs. Between the two of us we caught 4 sheephead a few silver bass or white perch, not sure which one. We also caught 15 - 20 yellow perch, mostly throwbacks with one coming in at 11.5". My daughter also caught a goby and the biggest walleye she's ever caught!
You know why I'm laughing and it has nothing to do with the rest of this post. ;)

Here you go Hooked on Ice. The difference between a white/silver bass and a white perch. You said you probably wouldn't remember when I showed this to you on the pier the first time, and you were right.

1622081909957.png

^^^^WHITE/SILVER BASS.
  • Notice the front dorsal fin is shorter than the rear dorsal fin.
  • Notice the slope from the front dorsal fin to the eyes/head gradual
  • dark spots in horizontal lines laterally along the body including the tail, often faint and irregular
  • second anal spine distinctly shorter than third
  • length: 20-30 centimetres (8-12 inches)
1622082036438.png
^^^^WHITE PERCH
  • Notice the front Dorsal fin is the same size or larger than the rear dorsal fin.
  • Notice the slope from the front dorsal fin to the eyes/head is sharper
  • colour variable with no obvious spots or stripes just one noticeable lateral line
  • second and third anal spine roughly equal in length
  • tends to have a pinkish color on the cheeks and chin.
  • length: 15-25 centimetres (6-10 inches)
Off to bed now. Maybe see you in the morning. .

Last edited:
get the net Dad!!!!!----gotta start somewhere (y)
That reminds me of a few years ago on the pier when I had already helped land 1 walleye earlier that morning when a certain gentleman I know showed up and sat beside me for a few hours not catching anything, while I was, so he moved from beside me on the west side to the east side a little closer to the end of the breakwall his reasoning was that I was catching all his fish even though I'd been there for hours before he showed up:LOL:

About half an hour later he's screaming at me to get my net, and I do mean screaming. He was VERY excited. I said to him, "what........you think you have a walleye?" and he screamed at me," I DO HAVE A WALLEYE, HURRY UP!!!! GET YOUR NET, GET YOUR NET!!!" So I got up, calmly walked over and looked over the side, and said, "hey, you're right, you do have a walleye," calmly walked the couple feet back to where my net was leaned up against the light tower and then netted his 6lb walleye for him, the whole time he's screaming at me to hurry up. It took about 1 minute from the time he started screaming at me to get my net until it was in the net. He knows about my back, hips and shoulders, so he knew I was moving as fast as I can, but apparently I wasn't moving fast enough and what makes that ALL funny is, HE was closer to my net than I was. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Anyone fishing off of the piers at Port Bruce or Port Burwell? Looking to get out for some cats.
If you're looking for cats, you'll probably have better luck in the creek under the bridge. Although there are some cats caught off the pier, it's rare. I was on the pier yesterday and nobody had seen or heard of any cats being caught out there yet.

Thanks for the tip Trevor M, I'll try under the bridge. Good fishing.
That's one good thing on days like yesterday and today. IF it's stupid windy and fishing off the pier isn't possible, you can always try for cats under the bridge. Sometimes you might even get a perch in that far.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks