Picnic Shoulder versus Pork Butt

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
Mrs. Stomp picked up a cheap picnic shoulder recently and with no pike derby today, I smoked it on the Traeger. Turned out to be on par with a Boston Butt, with maybe a little less fat. Anyone have a favourite between the 2 cuts for pulled pork?
IMG_1888.jpegIMG_1890.jpeg

Looks great stomp!

My preference is the picnic for pulled pork- mainly because of the price. There are more sinewy bits and silver skin in the mix, but when cooked so tender for pulled pork it makes no difference to me. Around here shoulders or Boston butts cost more, even double the price of picnics.

For sausage making or other uses, the shoulder will give you more big chunks of higher class meat. Sometimes you need that, other times you’re just going to grind it all finely anyhow…

As for fat content- I find it pretty variable. I was digging through the picnic shoulders at No Frills ($1.49/lb) this week looking for a fatty one, and it varies from like the slightest layer of fat under the skin to 1” thick. There were clearly multiple suppliers.

For pulled pork my gall bladder prefers a lean one :rolleyes:

Thanks @Octavius Brine . Mrs. Stomp bought 2 at that No Frills special price. This was our first smoked picnic shoulder after having smoked a butt. We have another picnic shoulder bought at that great price and going in the freezer for our next pulled pork event.IMG_1892.jpegIMG_1891.jpeg

Nice one Stomp. The ones I saw in the plain baggies were the nicer looking fatty ones. There were also lean ones in Maple Leaf brand bags.

Great price especially for the fatty ones for those of you planning deer or goose sausage!

Did you have it in the tin pan for the whole cook or was that just near the end for a glaze?

Did you have it in the tin pan for the whole cook or was that just near the end for a glaze?
Hey @rmsteve , I was following the Traeger Pulled Pork recipe. The picnic shoulder was straight on the grill, fat side up and unwrapped until it reached around 170 degrees. Instead of an aluminum foil boat, I used a pan, added 2 cups of apple cider, covered tightly with tinfoil, and back in the smoker until it was around 205 degrees. I've poked the bottom out of enough tin foil boats when checking for doneness...

Last edited:
Hey @rmsteve , I was following the Traeger Pulled Pork recipe. The picnic shoulder was straight on the grill, fat side up and unwrapped until it reached around 170 degrees. Instead of an aluminum foil boat, I used a pan, added 2 cups of apple cider, covered tightly with tinfoil, and back in the smoker until it was around 205 degrees. I've poked the bottom out of enough tin foil boats when checking for doneness...
Thanks!

My brother the butcher explained the difference between a Shoulder and a Butt is the fat content is approx. the same but with the Shoulder it's more inside and on the Butt it's on the outside. So I guess you could peel off the fat on the Butt and make a leaner Pulled Pork ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks