Perchin' w/ Big Dave, July 29

canvasbacksca

Perchin with Big Dave yesterday was slow compared to our last trip, but he kept moving till we finally found a hot spot. We kept 275 perch in 5.5 hours fishing and at least 50% of those came in the last hour or so.
A Funny Story: We hadn't been fishing for 15 minutes when here comes a boat and anchors about 100' in front / upwind of us. Pretty soon one of the guys is reefing and yanking his rod and I figgered that he had something big, which he did. BD yells "Hey, you're hooked on my anchor rope!" And the guy says "I didn't know that you had that much rope out." And, thru gritted teeth, BD replied "I wouldn't have put out that much if I'd known that you wanted to fish there!" LMAO!

Heads-up!: As it turns out, there was a wood ***** hanging aroung Hastings waiting to check anglers coming ashore. He charged 2 guys and a kid for having 5 more than their limit of 150. Given that there's no biological reason for there to even be a limit on perch in the open waters of Lake Erie, I think that's about as chicken-poop as it gets!

That CO did not need to charge those guys. The one is a poster on this board and they made an honest mistake on their count. 5 over a 3 man limit and one of those anglers was a 9yr old kid who had one of his best ever fishing days spoiled by a MNR Conservation Officer. What a Shame!

A warning would have sufficed and the boy would have learned respect for the man in uniform. They are going to fight it and I do hope they win.

BD

On another note Cnavasback how about the bass boat that was fishing 25' from us when I asked if he wanted us to move[:eek:)]

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146

B/D-YOU A BIG GUY,MAYBE U NEED A BIGGER LAKE,:)-look out ur bk door they r every where[V]

Rules are rules, but I totally agree that a warning would certainly have been enough. I'm actually surprised they'd take the time to count that many.

That is too bad about the kid and an honest mistake. I trained to be a game warden back in the days when we were still hunting Pterodactyls with rocks and slingshots. I was with Frank Pozo who was a bit of a legend as a CO. The way he ran things...."everybody can make an honest mistake. Use it as a teaching tool. If there was criminal intent...charge his azz to the max."
Now THERE was a game warden and us snot nosed kids ( compared to him) thought he could walk on water. :) Oh, ya.... and NEVER call him BOZO or you was sooooooooo screwed!!!!:0[B)]

Dave

Glad you had another great day out there!

I am pretty sure I know which of the constabulary that would have written that charge (have history there myself). I know there has been some complaints lodged about some of the hugely excessive catches that a very few anglers are coming in with. The MNR mandate on enforcement is to guard against commercialization, waste and public safety. There would be no way that charge should ever been laid. What a waist of public resources and court time. Hope the family involved fights the tickets and win.

I am the individual that got charge. I'm almost embaressed to post this, but just to let everyone know it truely was a mistake on my part. It can happen so easily to go over your limit when you can catch that many. I guess my method of counting failed, evey fish that is caught goes direct into a 5 gallon pail and then they are counted as they are put into the cooler. YES, he had to count them 3 times
It could have resulted in heavier fine than what was issued. My company that was with me was their fist time out and couldn't beleive of the great fishing thats off of Hastings.
The 9 year old had the best fishing time, he kept me busy taking his fish off and baitinghis hook. All he kept saying was that I could do it faster than he could, you couldn,t wipe the smile off this little guys face. It sure was nice to see such a young little guy enjoy fishing at such a young age. His father has taught him a lot about the sport. My pole sat idle a lot of times just to keep him going.
So all I can say to everyone that posts here, just be carefull on your count, an honest mistake can happen unless you do get greedy and you know what you have in your cooler.

Jim

Dont be embarrased Jim The CO should be.

We fished with a retired CO yesterday and he told us of fishing and his method of counting, His counter said they had 118 fish and when they cleaned them they had 123, If they had gone to 150 on the counter they too woulld have been 5 over.

I wonder if he would have been charged??

BD

519 777 0146

I am the individual that got charge. I'm almost embaressed to post this, but just to let everyone know it truely was a mistake on my part. It can happen so easily to go over your limit when you can catch that many. I guess my method of counting failed, evey fish that is caught goes direct into a 5 gallon pail and then they are counted as they are put into the cooler. YES, he had to count them 3 times
It could have resulted in heavier fine than what was issued. My company that was with me was their fist time out and couldn't beleive of the great fishing thats off of Hastings.
The 9 year old had the best fishing time, he kept me busy taking his fish off and baitinghis hook. All he kept saying was that I could do it faster than he could, you couldn,t wipe the smile off this little guys face. It sure was nice to see such a young little guy enjoy fishing at such a young age. His father has taught him a lot about the sport. My pole sat idle a lot of times just to keep him going.
So all I can say to everyone that posts here, just be carefull on your count, an honest mistake can happen unless you do get greedy and you know what you have in your cooler.

Jim

Jim

That really sucks Jim.Instead of worrying about your 5 PERCH over the limit ,maybe they should be focusing on the commercial trawlers at the end of point and what they are taking in..But hey we all make mistakes at one time or another.What was the fine worth if I can ask?..lol

Kirk

Honest mistakes certainly do happen. Perhaps one solution would be to stop fishing when you believed you have 140 perch. Leave some room for error when you have that many to count. I agree a warning would have been sufficient in these circumstances.

I can't speak for him but the overfishing he might be talking about is guys catching 50 everyday. I do believe that the possession limit should be more than your daily limit,when the fish in the freezer has to last until next year. BUT.... some guys take it too far and fill there freezers, I know of several and have been tempted to make a call myself. If we all caught too many on a regular basis the fishing wouldn't be world class anymore.Now, that being said I realize that most guys practice sound conservation practises but it's always a few bad apples ruining things for the rest of us

takes a real gentleman to come on a public forum like this and reveal his identity in a case like this

embarassing yes but no shame attached----could happen to anyone

glad the youngster had a ball anyway and lesson learned

[img=left]http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/067096.gif[/img=left]

When out for perch I usually stop well short of the total boat limit even though I utilize a mechanical counter. I had 4 guys on boat one time and we stopped at 150 thinking that was plenty but when we cleaned the fish we actually had 170. When fishing is fast and furious out there it VERY easy to miscount esp if everyone is fishing. I would definetly suggest anyone wanting to keep their limit to do a hard count when they are approaching their boat total just to avoid any problems. Hasting and Burwell are both very easy to police for the CO's and they patrolling both steady now.

Devin

Hey, Big Dave: I'm sure that Gar meant anglers catching perch and selling them, which is illegal.

As for shotgun's point that if "we all caught too many, the perch fishing wouldn't be world class anymore", the data simply don't support that. The commercial quota for Ontario's portion of Lake erie is 13.64 million pounds for 2012. Given that the commercials target smaller perch, that's at least 25,000,000 perch. For the sake of argument, let's say that there are 10,000 perch-angler days on Lake Erie this summer and everyone kept 100 instead of 50 perch. That would mean that instead of 500,000 perch being kept, there'd be 1,000,000 being kept. That's a lot of perch, for sure, but it's still only 4% of the commercial catch.

There should be no limit on perch for anglers in the open waters of Lake Erie and what the anglers catch should simply come off the top of the commercial quota. That's what MNR promised 20 years ago, but never kept that promise. If you've got the $$, you can go to the fish market in Burwell and buy 1000 lbs of perch, so it's pretty stupid to say that you can't catch that many -- they're just as dead no matter who kills them.

Big Dave

As canvasbackca suggested....the commercialization that I mentioned as part of the MNR mandate is of anglers who sell the fish after catching. Definately not what you are doing! I support you in your endevour and thank you for sharing all of the information and knowledge that you do with the general fishing public. The perch fishing all along the North shore of the central basin is definately world class. The Hasting area is just the best of the best probably because of less pressure on it.

I have no specific examples of the whos...whens...and to whoms...of those being over limits or commercializing. Just have been "told" by those in the know that it is happening with a frequency that has "some" wondering. I think the presence of investigative effort by resources poor MNR at the Hasting launchs shows that this is real.

Just too bad that the charges were layed this way.

Canvasbackca....love the numbers. Can you immagine the impact to the economy that 10,000 angler days have as compared to the small impact of the 13 million pound comercial quota.

Gar

My apologies Gar and Thank You for the clarification.

The written word can be so easily misinterpreted.:)

I watched a case that went on for 4yrs about a guy overfishing. He used to brag about all the fish he caught and how he hid them. He had other charges in the past that he was caught for and paid the fine. This case he got off on reasonable doubt[B)]

It was a shame.

BD

519 777 0146

The minor is allowed a full limit too. If it was deducted it would not encourage people to take a kid fishing.

BD

519 777 0146

Big Dave is absolutely correct. Even if the adult had a Conservation license (with a limit of 25), the minor is allowed a full 50 of perch.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks