Perchin' w/ Big Dave, July 29

I agree entirely with Old Cut, but I've heard this right from a game wardens mouth. My friend was charged with an uncased firearm because the zipper on his case was 1" from being closed. The warden told him he could fight it and probably win but they have been instructed to lay fines whenever possible. Don't blame the CO's blame our genius Liberal government here in Ontario that believes our natural resources aren't worth funding.
Just to play devils advocate though "Big Dave" was over the limit, counting error or not. What if I make a counting error when early season goose hunting, 4 man limit is 32 birds. If I get caught with 33 (3% over, same as Dave) I accept the fine no questions asked. I understand that geese are easier to count but the law makes no exeptions for ease of counting.

Whoa there, jtman!! Big Dave wasn't charged with anything let alone for being over his limit and it wasn't one of his clients who was charged, either.

You may be right that COs have been told "to lay fines whenever possible", but you're incorrect that the $$ from fines goes into a COs budget. That $$ goes directly into the Special Purpose Account of MNR and might end up being spent on enforcement, but it also might be spent on Species at Risk, etc.

No, the law doesn't make "exceptions for ease of counting", but just as an OPP officer has the discretion to give warnings to drivers who are 3% ( or more ) over the speed limit, COs have the discretion to give warnings in cases like this one. And that's exactly what a good CO would have done.

My apologies to Big Dave. I should have gone back and re-read the start of the thread. I have read his posts for some time now and I know that he is a sportsman and would not keep over his limit. Sorry again.
That being said
I hope you understand the CO's are under strict instructions to lay a fine for every infraction. If this were not the case I agree 100% that a warning would have been the right call but this CO has to follow the book on this one. He would have risked losing his job if he didn't.

Thanks Canvasback. Since this episode I have taken to stopping my clients a few fish short to protect against this exact thing. When I am counting upwards of 350 fish it is hard to do a recount.:D

BD

They were on again today, Another happy crew.:)

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks