Perch in Goderich - Spring Fishing at Port Franks

Hey all, sorry I'm a bit late on the replies. Ya it is truss core (the material in my garage)

We did get out to Port Franks on Friday. It was cold out (5 degrees) and choppy but with my new enclosure on my boat it was not bad at all.

Getting out of the rivermouth was about the worst part as the waves were breaking hard on each side and it sure is not deep going out there.

Once we got out we started trolling almost right away and headed south. We were using crankbaits with no divers as I had been told to try in the top 15 ft. of water. The water temperature was 39 degrees, and we had no luck the first while. I then decided to head south closer to the elbow on Ipperwash Beach. The water temp went up to about 42 before reaching the elbow and we picked up 2 coho. Then closer to the elbow the water temp went back down and for a while it was quiet. We were in about 10-15 ft. of water most of the time. I was going to head out to a bit deeper water along Kettle Point when we hooked up on a really good fish which jumped and somehow broke my line! That was disappointing as I was sure it was the best fish of the day! At that point, we took a few more trips through that area and back along Ipperwash beach before getting one more real good hit but losing the fish and heading back in after about 3-4 hours.

It was great to get out again. I also have never been out that early. Any tips from anyone would be great. I was told to try to find warmer water and greenish water with decent visibility but it was a bit rough and we did not head out too far.
Excellent photo’s and fishing report,and great to read,that you had gotten out fishing off Port Franks,and even landed a couple of Coho’s,and unfortunately lost a couple of fish as well. That boat ramp there in the first photo looks very “iffy” for launching a boat,because the cement pad stops,and the rest looks like mud the rest of the way by the water!! I have used that boat ramp a few times over the year’s before,and according to your photo,I have never seen the water level there that low before!! I guess a 4x4 vehicle of some sort is required to launch there,( I am just assuming ), which I don’t have,to get in and out of that boat ramp to launch my 18.5 foot aluminum boat. Did you use a 4x4 vehicle @jasonstein99 to launch there? Thanks for any answer back,whenever you get a chance,for I am looking on trying my luck there hopefully,if the conditions are right,for some coho’s,etc. Enjoy your coho fry,or smoked,etc. 🐟🐟😋 👍🙂

@rcfire77 @jasonstein99 thanks for the info on the trusscore. I called my a Home Hardware yesterday and got a price of $2.85 a sq foot. Do you know @rcfire77 if I can buy direct from the factory? In the past I was told you could.

One thing that worries me is if you ever wanted to remove it off the wall for any reason, is it removable or do you have to destroy it to remove it?

This is why I am still going towards steel. All I have to do is remove some fasteners and I can get in behind the steel panel. Do I have that flexibility with trusscore.

Thank you @jasonstein99 for the confirmation on the trusscore as well. Good to see that you got out at Port Franks as well and caught a couple! Good job!

I have been getting a lot of messages regarding launching in Port Franks.
Facts
1. there are no open/maintained ramps
2. the launches are accessible, but the docks have either not been lowered (meaning your boat will slide underneath and be damaged by the substructure, and you may have to jump down into your boat or, the side floating docks are not yet installed meaning you would have to figure out a way to launch with someone in the boat and a spot to pick up and load people and then reverse that to come back in. It's doable, but tricky and risky.
3. the above couple with very low water levels makes it even more difficult.
4. there are no channel markers in the river or at the mouth (yet), if you do not know where to go you will very likely run aground. If there are waves, they may push you into the rocks or the steel wall (lined with rocks below the surface) when you do hit bottom.
The sand is always shifting at the mouth, and every north wind we get is making the opening smaller and smaller. The edge of the sandbar that is forming is steep, you can go from 5' of water to 1' in less than a boat length.

It will be a month before all of the above gets done, (Lambton Shores couldn't care less about our needs) and it also all hinges on if the Permits are granted by the MOE, ABCA, the local indigenous and likely 1 or 2 more ministries.
I've spoken with the people who run the boats to clear the mouth and place the markers, and they have reported their emails and phone calls are not being returned by LS.
Good luck all!

grand bend boat ramp..check it out..thats the Asuable river that runs from Parkhill

the parking lot is not the greatest..there should be fish to catch..

spring coho off the slider with flutter spoons..lime rickys are still my #1 for huron salmon

Hey Rick @rcfire77 this spot here look familiar, to bad J & S tackle closed up

september 9 2020 local trout fishin 025.jpg

my last lake huron king salmon fishin was covid 2020 when the chantry chinook classic was canceled..I thought it would be good chance with just a few fishing

that morning lots of bites on the walmart slider..I couldn't keep that species off the slider..I ended up removing the slider..theres a small rainbow a small laker..now what species is that last one..ya what fish is that?

september 9 2020 local trout fishin 013.jpg september 9 2020 local trout fishin 012.jpg
my favourite color... thats a costa rica blue...blue marlin blue

september 9 2020 local trout fishin 021.jpgwhat species? september 9 2020 local trout fishin 020.jpg

Attachments

• september 9 2020 local trout fishin 021.jpg
    september 9 2020 local trout fishin 021.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 13
@rcfire77 @jasonstein99 thanks for the info on the trusscore. I called my a Home Hardware yesterday and got a price of $2.85 a sq foot. Do you know @rcfire77 if I can buy direct from the factory? In the past I was told you could.

One thing that worries me is if you ever wanted to remove it off the wall for any reason, is it removable or do you have to destroy it to remove it?

This is why I am still going towards steel. All I have to do is remove some fasteners and I can get in behind the steel panel. Do I have that flexibility with trusscore.

Thank you @jasonstein99 for the confirmation on the trusscore as well. Good to see that you got out at Port Franks as well and caught a couple! Good job!
Order it from the HH in Drayton as it’s manufactured close by and the cheapest to order from any home hardware. Not sure if you can order it from the factory but a quick phone call would let you know? I was told by other contractors to go through the Drayton HH cause it’s cheaper than other stores. Hit up buddy at the desk for the 10% contractor discount.

Last edited:
Order it from the HH in Drayton as its manufactured close by and the cheapest to order.
Plus it’s easy to remove as it’s only held on by screws. I have it in my driveshed and walk in cooler BUT I am redoing my garage this summer in metal. The attached picture is of my buddies garage I did it metal in the fall.

Attachments

• IMG_3775.jpeg
    IMG_3775.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 30
@rcfire77 THANK YOU for all the great information! I REALLY appreciate it. The shop picture with the truck in it looks great in steel.
So is there a reason you are redoing your garage in metal and not the trusscore?

You mentioned it's just held in place by screws but from what I can see from you-tube videos, one edge of the trusscore locks into the edge of the last installed piece and then the other edge is held in place by screws. The video I watched was done by the TV home improvement guy Brian Baulmer (sp?). He was suggesting you leave a 1/4 inch of verticle play for expansion and contraction as well. My shop has heated floors so the inside temp will not be varying too much.

Thanks again for your info and advice. Really appreciate the HH reference as well!

My wife wants our double garage done in steel or trusscore for a home gym. I can get steel from a local Mennonite supplier much cheaper than steel

grand bend boat ramp..check it out..thats the Asuable river that runs from Parkhill

the parking lot is not the greatest..there should be fish to catch..

spring coho off the slider with flutter spoons..lime rickys are still my #1 for huron salmon
Also no docks in Grand Bend

if you like real time cams Kincardine lighthouse has 4 cams

If i was going to dock high priced fishing equiped boat this season...I would be thinking about security to prevent theft

past seasons colchester harbour and leamington municipal marina has on site overnight security guards

be careful with that..auto theft is up 47% last year..no wonder some insurance premiums have gone up

Last edited:
Anyone any update on perch in Goderich? Looking like a Decent wind forcast for Sunday, any chance or still a bit early?

Just got a report that there's over 100 boats out today. A real shit show at the ramp.

I priced it out a couple of places online and they were looking for $2000 plus. But I live in Mennonite country and found a guy only a few mins from me close to Milverton that it it for $1000. He's a part time farmer, part time leather and canvas guy but I'm very happy with the quality of it. Sure makes a difference in prolonging the season!

Mind sharing the contact info. That’s not far from me and I need a custom travel cover done for my new rig. Tks

They are catching perch. Launch in front of the salt mine is not in. River launch parking almost made it back to highway 21

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks