Perch after ice out

average ryan

Do the Perch stick around once ice is out for a bit in the spring?

They will be in shallow until they spawn (usually into May) and then it's a bit of a game. Don't always follow the group of boats but sometimes they are right. Pretty sure I have no idea what I am doing this year.

It's highly probably that some of them will end up in my freezer to replace those I had from last year that will soon be gone by the end of the month or early next month which coincides with me coming out of hibernation. Last year all 134 perch I caught (kept 95 of them) were caught off the pier in Pt Bruce.

Generally, from the pier in Pt Bruce, although it is possible to catch a couple worth keeping in mid April and very early May when I come out of hibernation, (yes I've caught them off the pier that early but it's far and few between) the pattern in recent years has been catfish, suckers and carp right after ice out, then white perch and silver bass show up, then sheephead show up, and then about the second week or so in May the yellows start to show up a little more often, but it's hit and miss and the first ones are not always a decent size and generally not worth keeping. Minnow thieves.

Come June tho, different story and generally by the second week of July, they're gone (going deep again) and it's hit and miss again on whether you might catch one. BUT, as always with perch fishing, whether in a boat or from shore, you have to be there when they are or you'll miss'em and that's the trick, being there when they are.

All to often during that time from mid April through to the second week of July, although I do ok, a lot of time I don't go on the day I planned to for any number of reasons ranging from a "honey do list," and too windy, to going out with someone in their boat instead, but go the next day only to hear the dreaded, "you should have been here yesterday." But like I said, I go enough that I do ok.

@Derkd9 sounds good leave me a couple if you don't mind lol hope to get out for a couple dinners of perch. crappie would be nice but thats a tight lipped species to get around here lol

Yes they do..and in great numberz.
Water will likely be murky and visibility down to about 6inch in parts of the bay. Don't shy away from that. The best days I have had out there was in that murky brown water.
Perch love weeds plus they spawn on them so do your best to set up along a weed bed not right in the thick of it..No fun cleaning weeds after every drop.
I locate active fish by drifting with minmows and or lure..If i hit some fish drifting i go back and do another pass.. if I hit them again in same spot i drop anchor and hope i land on a gob of fish then ill work them over just like ice fishing. Vertical Jig tipped spoons,rattle baits,jigs or just drop down your favorite double minnow rig.
Schools will be spread out in every part of the bay so don't be shy to try a spot becouse it just "feels fishy" to you.
There will be schools of everything out there early on, great great fishing! I have hit schools of jumbo rock bass that filled the cooler in minutes. Schools of bullhead catfish that will be right to the top of the water taking your bait as soon it's below the surface. Perch can and will be the same way once you locate them. And Just like ice fishing you will have pesky pike that will show up to the party without notice. Fun fun fishing!
Some days That cold spring air will cut right through you once you get moving from spot to another looking for the "hotspot". Waterproof/windproof clothing is a good idea.

@SIX-GRAND rick bass taste anything like smallmouth or largemouth?
I dont think so. I find them to be much like perch dare I say maybe even better then perch..?. My geezer fishing partner swears they are on the sweeter side compared to perch.
We once were on the hunt for perch and caught wind the bite was on at old cut. We went to check it out along with 50other boats. We never did get into the perch over there but the rock bass were on fire! LOL. We grabbed 45 of them real quick and got back on the hunt for yellows..which we eventualy found. Put all cleaned meat in the same pile.. Cooked it all in the same pile. Aside from there shap after cooking the difference was not at all noticeable to me or anyone else that filled up on them.
They are fine eating fish in my books. cold water rockiez that is. I don't keeps them in warm water.

@SIX-GRAND alrighty thanks! I just might try them this spring.
cant hurt that’s for sure!
I ate sunfish last year for the first time, was pleasantly surprised.

Hows the shore in st williams holding up?
I was out yesterday. Got out to my spot west of lighthouse. Spud going the whole way. Was tight..solid. I would have to say instead of the usual 8+ inch I been fishing on it was more like 7". The water has to be taking from the under side of ice now. When I was done fishing the 6" hole was likely around 8" atleast with the bottom of the hole being more open then the top. I was in my hut but no heat going. Ran out of gas at noon. Fished till 5. Shore line is ugly & busted up from fellas "trying" to pull there Huts off. The wood plank to access the ice was still there and usable when I came off at 545pm.20210304_175401.jpg.

@SIX-GRAND Maybe this is a silly question,
But where does rock bass land in the fishing regs?
This is what I was told about fish NOT listed in the regs by a Ministry rep several years ago. I called the Aylmer MNRF office 519-773-9241 and I was transferred to the information center in Peterborough. (I was asking about white perch and silver bass)

"If there is no reference to the fish in the regs, then that fish is NOT regulated and therefore there is no season on them, nor is there a limit. You may catch them at any time and keep as many as you want, IF you want. This would apply to the white perch, the silver bass, fresh water drum (sheephead) or any other fish that is not mentioned in the regulations."

I would assume that this would apply to rock bass as well since they are not specifically named in any zone as being regulated or at least not the zones I would, will or might fish in.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks