Owen Sound

moocow

First time to Owen Sound never disappointed. 7 hours Saturday and 4 hours this morning produced 9 salmon 1 laker. Most released for another day. Great kick off for 2019 spring.
Thanks to anyone for the info beforehand,
Moo

Attachments

• IMG_1025.jpg
    IMG_1025.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1280.JPEG
    IMG_1280.JPEG
    98.1 KB · Views: 194
congrats @moocow to a great first time owen sound salmon catch..

just curious...can you share what baits worked well..

Nice to hear you had a great time!

I was also up fished Sat for about 5 hours and another 3 today. Ended up with 10 nice salmon. The hot lures for us where a blue/silver Silver Fox and silver with black and red spot Apex. Fishing was much better yesterday but way more boats...

Tight Lines

RT

Don't think I'll go up on a weekend again. Counted 143 boats out there this morning in likely a 1/2 mile x 1 mile stretch out at the "popular" spot. Was some crazy trolling.
Local guy at the launch on a bike when we were taking out asked if there was a tournament on. Said he'd never seen that many boats heading out of the harbour in April. Gotta love the "information age" (y)

Last edited:
Glad you had a good outing Moocow. We were there all weekend without a boat. The harbour fisherman did ok as well.

out in the lake at 143 wow that's deep holy they don't get the bends

Salmon are not susceptible to 'the bends' like many other fish. They have zero issues adpating to quick vertical movements through the water colomn. Infact, studies have found vertical movements in lake huron from near bottom in 400' to almost 700' to the surface in a matter of minutes is very common.

Salmon are not susceptible to 'the bends' like many other fish. They have zero issues adpating to quick vertical movements through the water colomn. Infact, studies have found vertical movements in lake huron from near bottom in 400' to almost 700' to the surface in a matter of minutes is very common.
Yes the salmon we were hooking up with on the weekend all seemed to be in good shape. We also took the extra steps of letting the fish work its way up. Before releasing I was also told that if you lightly rub the sides this will help ? On lake trout you can usually hear the air burping out.
Thanks for the insight Josh

its nice to read there keeping the resources going in owen sound
when you buy a derby ticket your making a contribution
after the devastating lake huron alewife dieoff years ago i wonder what the main forage is for the OS salmon...

Last edited:
the hay days of kincardines king salmon are long gone...like rockin-steelhead said..plentiful lake trout catches...kincardine has 2 fishing derbys....May & August..check out chantry chinook derby..
you can get an idea of fish catches on dwindles dream fishing charters past fishing reports...

Port Franks is usually a good bet early into May for a mixed bag...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks