Outriggers?

Landlocked

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hi All,
Hope everyone is staying safe! Just dreaming a little here about getting back on the water and wondered if anyone uses outriggers in their trolling spread? Our "new to me" boat has a set and I can't figure out if they are worth the hassle up here on Erie or not?
Thanks

Outriggers are more of a salt water thing designed to allow a larger spread of surface baits. Not sure I've seen a boat on erie with them. I guess they could work in situations where your flatlining several baits but I think I'd still prefer running planer boards.

Josh

Last edited:
I saw some boats using them on Superior. If my boat came with a set I'd use them for at least the first year or until they pissed me off. I can't see why they wouldn't work. Probably better in the ocean were they troll at 7 mph and boards wont work.

Hi All,
Hope everyone is staying safe! Just dreaming a little here about getting back on the water and wondered if anyone uses outriggers in their trolling spread? Our "new to me" boat has a set and I can't figure out if they are worth the hassle up here on Erie or not?
Thanks
If you want to sale them let me know

I bought a 255 BW that came with ORs and I converted them to use with my planer boards off each side. I only use 6 feet of the rigger, when turned perpendicular to the boat, they prevent planer lines from getting close to your rods when you make a turn, secondly because it raises your height of your planer board line, you can easily put 5-6 lines per board . If you want to see how I rigged them, you can see my boat this summer across the launch at Port Burwell marina (South Coast Charters). Works slick, way better than running a single mast off the bow or running lines off of your hard top.

I bought a 255 BW that came with ORs and I converted them to use with my planer boards off each side. I only use 6 feet of the rigger, when turned perpendicular to the boat, they prevent planer lines from getting close to your rods when you make a turn, secondly because it raises your height of your planer board line, you can easily put 5-6 lines per board . If you want to see how I rigged them, you can see my boat this summer across the launch at Port Burwell marina (South Coast Charters). Works slick, way better than running a single mast off the bow or running lines off of your hard top.

That sounds like a great idea! Sure would like to see how it's rigged, will definitely come have a look whenever we are able to actually get the boats in the water, lol. Thanks again!

Back