Only boat on the water

springerhill

Headed out Monday night at 6:00 pm out of Burwell. We had the only truck in the parking lot, and never saw another boat all evening.
Thought it strange, but anyways, went straight out of port started trolling at 38fow, lost one at the boat at about 52' then lost something heavy at about 54', then my line broke with one about 20, behind the boat at 58'. Not a good evening so far.
Stayed at the 58'-60' area rest of night and did manage to land the next six by 9:00. 4 caught on copper back greased chicken on a small dipsy 120' back number 3. The other 2 were caught on silver back greasy chicken on lead core 7 colours out. Tried to keep speed around 2.7 mph. Haha my fishing partner for the night didn't want me to share his night. But I will say none of his got away!

You are very lucky you missed those storms... I got caught yesterday afternoon. I was about 4 miles out before the rain started. I looked behind me and massive black clouds started rolling in. Me and my 2 buddy’s sorta looked at eachother and then all ran for the rods. On the way in the wind started gusting to 50+kmph and the rain just started dumping. Luckily did not get struck by lighting but took on quite a bit of water. We all survived and made it back to the ramp. Our underwear, not so much?. Did manage to get our limit though. 56-64FOW. Purple and orange is hot right now.

@Matt245 & @springerhill... Glad you both made it back in safely. After many unpleasant ordeals over 50+ years dealing with Lady Erie I have nothing but respect. She can be very nice or change her mood to deadly nasty in a heart beat so I don't mess with her anymore. :)
I’ve been out a few times and it has got nasty quick. After yesterday I have now learned not to trust the weather network. It was not predicting storms untill the evening. It was only about 1:30Pm when I started getting hammerd

I’ve been out a few times and it has got nasty quick. After yesterday I have now learned not to trust the weather network. It was not predicting storms untill the evening. It was only about 1:30Pm when I started getting hammerd

During extreme hot spells such as recently when storms can develop very quickly I always make it a point to get off by no later than noon. Usually the thunderstorms don't develop until late afternoon under those conditions but as you know that doesn't always hold true. Believe me, it's better to be safe than sorry because in the past there were a few very scary times I thought I wasn't coming home.

Always, always watch the radar for Tstorm development on days like yesterday. Those storms began developing just west of London and were very slow moving. If you were watching the weather you should have known there was a cold front approaching which guarantees tstorms this time of year. Yesterday's storms didn't just pop up out of nowhere and there was no excuse to be caught out there. Google 'accuweather Michigan radar' and 'Exeter radar'....I am constantly watching both when out in the boat.

Josh

During extreme hot spells such as recently when storms can develop very quickly I always make it a point to get off by no later than noon. Usually the thunderstorms don't develop until late afternoon under those conditions but as you know that doesn't always hold true. Believe me, it's better to be safe than sorry because in the past there were a few very scary times I thought I wasn't coming home.
Yeah I understand the feeling.

Always, always watch the radar for Tstorm development on days like yesterday. Those storms began developing just west of London and were very slow moving. If you were watching the weather you should have known there was a cold front approaching which guarantees tstorms this time of year. Yesterday's storms didn't just pop up out of nowhere and there was no excuse to be caught out there. Google 'accuweather Michigan radar' and 'Exeter radar'....I am constantly watching both when out in the boat.

Josh
I don’t have data on my phone so my only resource was to text someone.

Well If you've got that much to spend on a boat I'd think you could afford a data plan for safety's sake!? Lol! My phone helped me avoid a tstorm on st Clair Saturday afternoon :) Not sure what I'd do without it on the water. It's a great tool for a variety of reasons. Communications device, live radar and weather, it runs my Navionics, it's a great camera, and it plays all the music I could ever want on the water....I actually carry a backup just incase one dies or happens to go overboard.

Josh

Last edited:
When my dad owned his boat way back when, we found out the hard way that when you're out on the water, the storm clouds you see building that appear to be way off in the distance that don't really appear to be moving towards you, they are, and fast and they'll be on you in minutes. We got caught in a storm once. It only took once for dad to say never again if there are thunderstorms in the forecast, because they can develop very quickly, and when you think you have a an hour or more before they're on you, by the time you realize you don't, it's too late.

I agree with what Josh said. Matt, you mentioned the weather network. If you're using their website to get your info and not just the tv, open the weather map on their site. Unlike the weather radar loop on Environment Canada's website, (I've never looked at the Michigan one) which gives you what has happened over the previous 3 hours up to present time, the weather radar on the weather network gives you what is happening right now, and will potentially happen for the next 6 hours. If you see my other post to Frank Reynolds, in his thread asking about "wind check sites" I gave him a literal step by step of what I do BEFORE I even think about leaving the house to go fishing, and the many websites I will use. Part of that decision making process for me includes opening those two weather radars from Environment Canada and The Weather Network. What I see there is key to whether or not I will go, and as everyone knows, I'm just going to sit on a pier most times. If I get caught in it, the most that'll happen is I'll get wet on the way back to the relative safety of my truck which is generally no more than maybe 300 ft away if that. I have no problem sitting out there in the rain, but you will never see me sitting out there fishing during a thunderstorm.

I don't have a nice boat like @Matt245 or even a mobile phone for that matter but I do check my weather sites, PS weather buoy and Exeter radar before leaving home. Also when fishing I monitor Environment Canada marine weather WX channels on my VHF radio while watching the skyline regularly.

I dunno bout that Bob. I think you have a really nice boat. It may not be as shiny and new as Matt's but it's still a nice boat.

@Trevor M...Yeah the fish that has come into that boat during the last 20 years would feed the entire city of Toronto for at least a day or 2. I also bet the wallet of @Matt245 is a lot thinner these days than mine is. :D
Although I'm afraid Matt has a lot more years ahead of him to enjoy his new Lund than I have left. :cool::)

@Trevor M...Yeah the fish that has come into that boat during the last 20 years would feed the entire city of Toronto for at least a day or 2. I also bet the wallet of @Matt245 is a lot thinner these days than mine is. :D
Although I'm afraid Matt has a lot more years ahead of him to enjoy his new Lund than I have left. :cool::)

Maybe. Depends on whether he keeps going out on days like yesterday and getting caught in thunderstorms out there. Lady Erie isn't always as forgiving as she was yesterday. But I bet he learned a couple things as well, like what his new toy can handle and is capable of :) One of these days, I'll have my own and will wanna use it as often as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found a new weather app that looks very nice! The app is called storm radar and has a very nice layout and a bunch of neat features. This one will get alot of use!

Attachments

• IMG_20180717_154428.jpg
    IMG_20180717_154428.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20180717_154458.jpg
    IMG_20180717_154458.jpg
    746.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20180717_154545.jpg
    IMG_20180717_154545.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 24
I’m getting destroyed on here haha. I have a Radio and A mobile device with celll service. I checked the weather when I left the house but as I have learned now, things change quickly. Also, Boats hold there value and last quite a long time (If you take care of them). The boat I had before this one lasted about 20 years. I’ve always owned a lund and only have good things to say about them. @Wave Runner i can guarantee your wallet is much thicker then mine.... I shoulda financed the stupid thing. Oh well.

@Matt245... Hey money is always well spent when it's for a boat or fishing gear or electronics etc, etc., right? :)

Yep. Two years ago my wife and I finally took that honeymoon we didn't take when we got married 4 years earlier. Ottawa for 9 days beginning of July, and then 6 days in Montreal beginning of August. We loved Ottawa and would go back. Montreal, yeah no, we've decided unless we have no choice, we're never going back there. Hindsight being what it is, we both agree, Ottawa was a good decision, but instead of spending what I did on that Montreal trip, I shoulda bought the damn boat I was looking at instead.:banghead:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks