Ojibwa on the way ?

sonnyuphi

Anyone know how long it would take to barge that sub from Burlington to Port Burwell. If they are moving it ( I believe planned arrival date was November 14th) and another storm comes up from the south could be a major disaster if it sinks (financially for sure ). Weather is so unpredictable now but hopefully it arrives safely in Burwell around the anticipated date .

The sub will actually arrive in Port Burwell between Nov 4th and 12th depending on the weather (arrival day). It will sit on the barge in the harbour until Wednesday Nov 14th (landing day) when it will be moved by Mammoet on heavy transport vehicles from the barge to the foundations. It will be quite a move and take all day. I thought it was kind of neat so I volunteered to help on landing day so I'm kind of keeping an eye on things. I'll keep this thread updated as I hear things.

Here is a link to the project website:

http://projectojibwa.ca/news/news.aspx?item=2685

I am expressing an opinion held by many, that in order to save a financial disaster, I hope the damn thing sinks. I am a tax paying resident of Bayham (north )so I am intitled to an opinion ;as I can see my tax bill going through the roof to keep this red herring afloat.This will bankrupt Bayham Township ! This whole project has been smoke , and mirrors since day # 1.

Just to be clear Pops, I never said it made sense or was a good idea to bring the Ojibwa here, I just said it sounded neat. Also of note, I don't pay my taxes in Bayham for which I am thankful. This sub and the history that goes with it needs to be honoured, remembered, and recognized but I'm kind of wondering if this is the way to do it myself. The Elgin Military Museum has put a ton of effort into this and there has been lots of private donations and money raised for the project along with countless volunteer hours. I am hopeful that their efforts are not wasted. If nothing else, at least the outer harbour is getting dredged which seemed to be well beyond the capabilities of the local councils. You never know, this might actually attract some positive attention to a town that desperately needs it.

Rumour has it that the U.S. goverment has caught wind of this so called "Ojibwa Project" and doesn't cotton to the idea of having a weapon of mass destruction sitting on their doorstep, even if we are their friend and ally. Their plan is that as they were going to decommission "The Big E" aka USS Enterprise CVN 65 aircraft carrier on December 1st of this year anyways they would just dock it somewhere along the southcoast of Lake Erie somewhere.Possible locations are Erie Pa.,Ashtabula or Cleveland Oh. some historians thought Put-In-Bay would be an excellent choice seeing as that is where they launched they're attack from during the War of 1812 which of course they won ! Not to be outdone they are also considering the USS Baltimore SSN 704 attack submarine which is also to be "decommissioned". The U.S. Navy's Dept. of Retired Servicemen plans on turning the ships into floating retirement homes thus solving their problem of what to do with all those old swabbies and having a "battle ready" crew should it ever be needed.Their designation will be L.E.G.N.R. & RH....Lake Erie Geriatric Naval Reserve & Retirement Home also their insignia will contain the international symbol for the handicapped so they can get perferred docking at any ports-of-call.

I was down in Hamilton this morning on another matter so I stopped by the Heddle Marine yard to see if the sub was ready to go yet. I talked to a guy who was working on it and he said it was supposed to leave today but it wasn't ready yet. It looks to me like they still have quite a bit of work to do before the move but I could be wrong. Here's a couple of pics from the yard.

IMG-20121101-00056.jpg

IMG-20121101-00055.jpg

Visited Burwell Wed.

What is going on?

Trees have been uprooted, looks like a new channel is being dug parallel to the creek, its a mucky mess.

We saw several White Hats having a meeting beside idle earth movers, looks like organized confusion.

Was all this in the plan?

Who`s steering this Boat?

bd

Looks like the Sub is to leave Hamilton Thursday. It would be nice to see it come passed Long Point on route to Burwell. Went for wings last night in Burwell and what a Mud Hole at the entrance.

quote:
Originally posted by pops

I am expressing an opinion held by many, that in order to save a financial disaster, I hope the damn thing sinks. I am a tax paying resident of Bayham (north )so I am intitled to an opinion ;as I can see my tax bill going through the roof to keep this red herring afloat.This will bankrupt Bayham Township ! This whole project has been smoke , and mirrors since day # 1.

how much are your taxes going up?
who is paying for the move?
won't any upkeep be covered by the taxes collected from increased tourism?
will local businesses not benefit from increased tourism in the area?

Ha ha, the subs a joke, it will cost more than it makes. Most people will only go to Burwell to see it once. What happens when everyone has seen it? What a waste of money, they should have invested in a nice launch/ fish cleaning station. Would have been a better choice I think.

There used to be a ramp in the 80's(paid for through CFIP - Ont taxpayer $) right in the location where the sub is going to rest. I believe there was a fish cleaning service right there as well. That was a time when Erie was exploding with walleye and you could flatline a few miles off shore.

I just hope the mess is cleaned up in the harbour and creek asap.

I'm starting to have flashbacks of the Aquarama.....

WR

They should bring it to Burwell, set it up as a new breakwater like they did in Port Credit with the freighter. Bloww holes in the bottom and fill it with concrete and that could go a ways to solve the silting problem.

My two cents

I like your thinking about using it as a break walll or maybe they should just do that with an old freighter ?? why is it always the fisherman coming up with all the good idea's ,the politicians are paid to think , ?? hmmm??? cheers everyone ! the cash cow is on her way!

to be clear, i'm neither for or against this as it doesn't effect me.

i'm simply looking for some factual numbers rather than personal opinions...

quote:
Originally posted by ch312

to be clear, i'm neither for or against this as it doesn't effect me.

i'm simply looking for some factual numbers rather than personal opinions...

From what I've been able to figure out, the project is paid for by the Elgin Military Musuem who raises funds through private donations, and federal & provincial grants just as all museums do. Bayham Township did not directly provide any funding however they did guarantee the original loan on behalf of EMM which was required to secure the submarine and subsequnetly the federal & provincial grants for this particular project. Technically, if EMM went bankrupt, the taxpayers could be on the hook for the outstanding loan which is pretty unlikely. The Federal Development Agency provided a grant of almost $2 million toward the project and there were various other grants and programs which have also kicked in money. The entire project cost is estimated at $6 million.

Here is a link to the Bayham Council new release which kind of explains it a bit clearer:

http://www.projectojibwa.ca/news/2012/bayham-backs-ojibwa!.aspx

Like CH312, I'm not really for this idea or against it, I just think it's kind of interesting. To be certain, the feds are going to spend the money somewhere anyway, it may as well be somewhere local and hopefully Port Burwell benefits in the long run. Besides, if this is what it took to finally get the harbour dredged it's all good and will certainly be a benefit to those of us who fish there :)

I also think it may be of some benefit to the town as a tourist attraction and any kind of a boost is a good thing. Hopefully the impact won't be drastic on the taxpayers of the area and the costs can be defered over many years so the residual benefits have a chance to do some good.

Totally agree with you G Mech any reason to get the harbour dredged out is a good one. My comment was more directed to a possible long term solution to the silting problem. Port Credit had the freighter positioned so that it would be able to divert some of the wave energy to the yacht club entrance. I'd love to use Burwell more but the launch is kind of tough and I didn't know about the one farther upstream. I have a roller trailer and Bradfields ramp is just too steep.

The Nov 14th landing day is officially postponed until sometime the following week. The sub is still in Hamilton awaiting a window of calm winds to move up through the canal and across Lake Erie. Landing day volunteers have been asked to be available between Nov 16th - 24th and would be given 2-3 days notice.

Will keep you posted as things develop.

:Dthey had better hussle up else the harbour will silt in again8after next spring the silt will be back to 2 feet deep[|)]

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks