Off topic, maybe not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Politicians sell the story you will buy. That's why they don't push "green renewable energy is possible" agenda's. Tax's on the other hand are essential to pay those cheques their cashing. So keep believing you dont make an impact on the world and you won't, at least not in a positive way. Just one man's opinion.

Canada is not THE problem but we are all part of the problem...and part of the solution if we choose to be. As cited already above, Climate Change scientists are not discounting that climate changes naturally. What they are saying is that climate is changing FASTER than ever before....and we...people as a WHOLE are the reason.

It does not make you a 'yuppy' (whatever that means) to be concerned. It makes you responsible for your actions...it makes you cogniscant of your impact, + or - on this world. We, us on this forum here, may long be dust but our kids...and their kids will live with what we do and have done.

OR, keep ignoring your affect on things if it allows you to sleep better at night.

King Joe

Another uneducated (politely put) member of our society, that think it's OK to continue to rape mother Earth at the same rate we have been doing for the past couple of centuries. Volcanoes produce about 0.645 billion tons of CO2 per year while humans produce about 29 billion tons per year. That's roughly 44 times more CO2 than volcanoes!
Humans are the major force behind the current climate change. Yes, it is not the first or the last climate change in Earth history. But what apparently a lot of members of this board fail to realize it's the fastest in history. The changes that took thousands+ years in the past, now happening within a span of our life. I would think that you, at the fisherman, should realize that all this pollution and deforestation on a large scale can only have a negative impact on Earth and climate in particular.
Nothing wrong with driving a truck, but how about shutting it off while you are loading or unloading your boat? Start with yourself as I always say, so your grand kids can still enjoy of what is left of this beautiful planet.

Humans have been around for 200000 years ,the thermometer was invented in the 1700s and the earth is 4.5 billion years old. So how do we know it’s increasing the fastest in all of History?

wait, how do you know humans have been around for 20,000 years and the earth is 4.5 billion years old? What, because science told you? That same science that can look at soil records, pollen deposits, tree rings, species movement/changes/extinctions/etc., ice cap evidence, water level indicators, anthropological information....to name just a few...to determine, yup, climate change is faster. Why so hard to accept the science is there to indicate rates of climate change are above what has been experienced any time before when you can cite other accepted dates and times? Temp is more than a reading on a thermometer...is is felt and experienced in the earth and its peoples long before we started recording it by numbers.

King Joe

wait, how do you know humans have been around for 20,000 years and the earth is 4.5 billion years old? What, because science told you? That same science that can look at soil records, pollen deposits, tree rings, species movement/changes/extinctions/etc., ice cap evidence, water level indicators, anthropological information....to name just a few...to determine, yup, climate change is faster. Why so hard to accept the science is there to indicate rates of climate change are above what has been experienced any time before when you can cite other accepted dates and times? Temp is more than a reading on a thermometer...is is felt and experienced in the earth and its peoples long before we started recording it by numbers.

King Joe

I couldn't said it better myself! Thank you!

King Joe
Rates of climate change have never been consistent. Well before humans. Rapid cooling and heating along time before your 4x4 truck! Just because its warming faster now doesn't mean a whole lot. Nature finds a way. Our tiny bit of knowledge we have cant evem make a dent in millions and millions of years of earth evolution

King Joe

Good example The science for dating humans has been wrong and the number of how long we have been here has changed over time . I don’t doubt climate change I doubt how much is human caused .

I have been following this debate and thought I would add my 2 cents... well maybe dollars. :)

I am very sceptical about any scientific concensus on climate change. Countless so-called scientific absolutes have been discredited over the years for being absolutely faulty scientific blunders. Some were errors in concept or bad science chasing a bad idea to being flat out wrong. Others were simply cases of deliberate fraud and out-and-out hoaxes. Remember Y2K? Unfortunately today we live in a world full of fake news that loves priming gullible people into fear. Do you actually believe everything the media and the Internet pumps out every day? They tell us there’s a 97% agreement among scientists that global warming is caused by humans. Really? When has 97% of people ever agreed on anything? It is becoming clear that not only do many scientists dispute the asserted global warming crisis, but these skeptical scientists may indeed form a scientific consensus of their own. Also recent surveys of climatologists, meteorologists and geoscientists (also known as earth scientists) and engineers from around the world revealed similar skepticism of alarmist global warming claims. Perhaps Albert Einstein said it best: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."

Let me be clear, yes I believe that we certainly contribute to pollution and there’s much more for us to do in order to clean up our world. Fortunately we have made great strides towards that in my lifetime or things would be infinitely worse. Myself I believe our earth was divinely created with a complex built in protection system against any destructive force in the universe including anything puny man can generate. This world will end one day but it will be by His hand not ours. So relax and enjoy what time God gives you on this beautiful green earth. (y):D

Last edited:
It's a long video, 12 minutes, but pretty amazing for a young girl. Multiple opinions are always a good thing. Agree with her or not, a very powerful speech.

"They tell us there’s a 97% agreement among scientists that global warming is caused by humans. Really? When has 97% of people ever agreed on anything? " - A phrase "It's The Science, Stupid!" comes to mind reading statement like this. It's not a Democracy, it's a science! Can you imagine that 100% of scientists agree that the Earth is round? Me being a computer science professional, I choose to believe people that at least know what they are talking about, instead of going with the "gut feeling" or god knows what knowledge on this subject.
If 97% agreement of the scientists around the world can't convince you, our discussion is fruitless on this board. But even if the scientists are all wrong on this subject, what do have to loose by cutting CO2 emissions, what do we have loose by decreasing deforestation and so on??? I see nothing but gains to Earth and humanity!

Last edited:
"They tell us there’s a 97% agreement among scientists that global warming is caused by humans. Really? When has 97% of people ever agreed on anything? " - A phrase "It's The Science, Stupid!" comes to mind reading statement like this. It's not a Democracy, it's a science! Can you imagine that 100% of scientists agree that the Earth is round? Me being a computer science professional, I choose to believe people that at least know what they are talking about, instead of going with the "gut feeling" or god knows what knowledge on this subject.
If 97% agreement of the scientists around the world can't convince you, our discussion is fruitless on this board. But even if the scientists are all wrong on this subject, what do have to loose by cutting CO2 emissions, what do we have loose by decreasing deforestation and so on??? I see nothing but gains to Earth and humanity!

Maybe science is not a democracy but we live in a democracy where we are all entitled to our opinion. You don't have to accept mine nor do I have accept yours so no need for name calling. Yes 100% of scientists agree the earth is round because it has been absolutely proven. The science of climate change being caused by man is not, it's a theory not a proven fact. Science is faulty at best proven by the many once accepted so-called absolute scientific facts that have fallen by the wayside because they were eventually proven totally wrong. You don't have a clue any more than I do that this theory is absolutely true. Earth has had many climate changes long before we entered the equation. I agree cutting CO2 emissions and decreasing deforestation are good things. But if you think green energy will ever replace fossil fuels to cover the demand for the world's ever growing population your having an environmentalist pipe dream. Like it or not that's just plain reality my fiend. ;)

"Like it or not that's just plain reality my fiend. ;) "

Ranks right up there with those famous headstones at Tombstone. "Vern, I think its dead....poke it" and "Its just a cough, it will clear up" (I have no idea of 'vern' or 'cough' are actual headstones...HAH).

It truly doesn't matter if you believe it or not....its happening. Do what you can now, so your kids have less to do later.

King Joe

But if you think green energy will ever replace fossil fuels to cover the demand for the world's ever growing population your having an environmentalist pipe dream. Like it or not that's just plain reality my fiend. ;)
This reminds me of the horse carriage owner saying in 19 century that automobile is a pipe dream and will never replace a horse. For example, cost of solar panels dropped in price by almost 80% in the past 10 years. Efficiency is still relatively low at about 20%, but there is a good chance that the efficiency will double in a near future, and that pipe dream will be more of a reality as more people put up solar panels on their roofs.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion. But in the end, does it really matter who is responsible for this climate change, people or volcanoes? It's happening right in front of our eyes. If we can make our air/water/Earth cleaner by using green or some other technology, why not?

Just what is it you think we're supposed to do other than scrapping all our boats, vehicles, lawn mowers, motorcycles, airplanes, trains, transport trucks, furnaces, A/Cs, electronics, burning candles instead of lights (oh yeah that also creates CO2 as does breathing air and just about everything else we use every single day??? Maybe some how capping volcanos, or slaughtering all the animals on the planet so they can't fart will do it. Then you will need to kill half of world's population because they fart too. Doing what we can and have been doing over the years to limit CO2 all helps but it won't save the world unless we throw it all away. That means EVERYTHING. Then we all die with zero economy and no jobs to provide for our family or anything else for that matter to sustain life. Will the green energy jobs pay the taxes to run the countries of the world? Check out the chart below on global green energy use compared to fossil fuels and that's only an estimate, it could be less. Do you think all the jobs will be replaced with green energy jobs? Give me a break! I'm sorry but I live in reality not fiction... I'm done with this fruitless argument. :rolleyes::LOL:

1547484648386.png

As fishermen we should all agree that that bigger problem is shit and chemicals we dump into the waters we drink and fish out of ! Overpopulation and poisoning the well .

Wave Runner - let's agree to disagree. It's obvious that if the world scientists can't convince you, I wouldn't be able to do it either. On your last question "Do you think all the jobs will be replaced with green energy jobs?" - my answer is - yes, I think all the jobs in Canada linked to fossil fuel can be be replaced with green energy jobs. You can actually create more jobs with it, someone needs to build new electric cars to replace gas based ones, put up solar panels, make plastic from other sources than oil and so on. Canada can lead the way with new innovations instead of sponsoring Saudi sheikhs year over year. Where is the will there's a way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks