Off Topic... Kellog's Closing London Plant

It’s easy to blame the unions, but all they try and do is make a better life for the working class!! The good union jobs are the ones that buy the goods and services that everyone else rely on. People making $15/hr with a couple kids are not buying boats, rods, docking space and fishing equipment. Don’t look down on a guy making a good wage because that’s the guy that keeps the economy going. I don’t know many suits that buys hunting and fishing stuff, do you? Instead of blaming that guy for making a good living (which we all want for ourselves) blame the suits that are greedy and just want more and more profits regardless of what it does to the average Joe. Not to mention the poor workers overseas making next to nothing! They need a Union! Please look for a made in Canada label and pay a couple extra bucks if you have to! Thats the only way to turn this boat around, stop buying crap!

There is an article in the Toronto Star today about the closing.
The government has given/loaned millions to Kellogg's for a new NON-UNION plant in Belleville and then they(Kellogg's) turn around and abandon London.
By the way NewfieRod I was one suit that bought hunting and fishing stuff in Canada.

Don't pick on "the suits", if the top 1% have 80% of the income in North America they would also be the one's spending that money and employing the other 99% minus those on social assistance.

Don't pick on "the suits", if the top 1% have 80% of the income in North America they would also be the one's spending that money and employing the other 99% minus those on social assistance.

The problem is the 99% they are employing are now in China and Mexico where not a penny of their meager wages are spent in this country. I don't have a problem with corporations making a profit but adulterated greed is what's driving jobs out simply to make more profit by making products in China. Their inferior products may be cheaper but the quality is garbage. When there's no jobs left here, who's going to buy their crap?

Did y

Did you read that before you posted it?? :/

To answer the question Jammer yes I did, I know what I meant to say, sometimes it doesn't come out as intended. It's tough being my brain. You have to remember English is my second language, that's my excuse and I'm a sticka too em.

The problem is the 99% they are employing are now in China and Mexico where not a penny of their meager wages are spent in this country. I don't have a problem with corporations making a profit but adulterated greed is what's driving jobs out simply to make more profit by making products in China. Their inferior products may be cheaper but the quality is garbage. When there's no jobs left here, who's going to buy their crap?

Those here that are lucky enough to have a job are probably linked somehow to the top 1% ers.

A question, can anyone name me a Canadian made non food consumer product that we can make here that is also imported from offshore, not just China, from Japan to Vietnam and beyond for a comparable or slightly higher price?

Besides high end stuff like boats, cars, trucks etc. This question is not rhetorical, I really am trying to think of a few and can't. I'm thinking about Williams Wobblers say (Canuck made?) those Chinese tin things can't hold a candle to them, but I can buy 10 of the Chinese junk lures for the price of 1 good made in Canada lure, I wouldn't but a newbie would and they do. Something made here that's not double the price.

Whether you believe in unions or not it doesn't matter. Jobs will continue to leave our country as we cant compete with other countries on wages. Future generations are going to find things a lot tougher. Stand your ground while you have it.....

I must also agree with some of our other member`s on this Board,Well said--Three buoys. I am still very active through my Union through our Monthly Retirement meeting`s and Demonstrations when they arise such as the" Take a Stand for Public Medicare" which was held at Niagara On The Lake this past summer. Our Local here in London is now called UNIFOR Local 27,formerly called, CAW TCA Local 27. I retired out of the General Motors-E.M.D. plant in 2009, after working there for just over 30 year`s. I must end this by Printing, "RETIRED FROM THE JOB NOT THE FIGHT"

Whether you believe in unions or not it doesn't matter. Jobs will continue to leave our country as we cant compete with other countries on wages. Future generations are going to find things a lot tougher. Stand your ground while you have it.....

That may be true BD but remember the workers in those the third world countries you say we must compete against for wages can live on a $100 a month. How far is that going to take you in this country, a coffee and a donut every day?

The trade deficit problem can be fixed easily and we don't need government to help us do it. All we have to do is stop buying this foreign crap, sacrifice a little inconvenience for long term gain and the good of our country. The jobs will then have to come back here because the Chinese certainly can't afford to buy the products on their pathetic wages.

See what you started Stomp! :D This political football is going to be punted around for awhile. (y)

I wonder what would happen if a company stood up and said "we are a Canadian company and we are going to make a point of hiring Canadians to do work here in Canada". It sounds like members here would prefer to do business with such a company. Is there one major Canadian Bank out there that isn't trying to sneak work off to India? If someone can find me one, I'll open an account there tomorrow.

As for my ketchup, there are other kinds. And my cereal, well screw Kellogg's; I've bought my last box of Special K.

Where's a good hockey stick when you need one, eh @Three Bouys? :punch:.

Last edited:
@ Stomp.Hockey sticks made in Canada? Just checked two.... Easton-USA ..... Sherwood-designed in Quebec, made in Ukraine. I think I will have a Molson Canadian Beer. Please don't tell it's made in China.

I wonder what would happen if a company stood up and said "we are a Canadian company and we are going to make a point of hiring Canadians to do work here in Canada, says @stomp.

I'll tell what would happen @stomp, they would go bankrupt. Bing or Google Stelco, Dominion Glass, Nortel, heck even the Winnipeg Jets and Ottawa Renegades.

I bought a new Chevy truck because I wanted to buy something that I was sure was Canadian made, US made maybe, the thing is made in Mexico. I would never have bought it if I had read the door tag. It still pisses me off to no end. Many " Canadian " made products may have only had one thing done with that product and the seller can tag it as made here or sometimes it says assembled in Canada. The assembly maybe is only putting it in the box according to what I've read. How can we be sure it's made here @whitetailhunter?

Unions are just part of the high cost of doing business in Ontario. High electricity prices and corporate taxes are also driving business away. Electricity prices are also hurting the average home owner - I mean person charging their trolling motor batteries. They are going up again and it's predicted they will go up another 45% the next few years. Ouch!! Those wind turbines we use for navigation are costing us.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks