Fishing Report Oct 4. LPB. Long face.

SIX-GRAND

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Got a chance to go out with good fishing buddy this afternoon to knock some dust off the pike'n gear..
Kept 3(27-30"). Released 5 or 6 including the biggin off the day. Lost 4 or 5. And a few hits that just didnt stay pinned.
20231004_220150.jpg20231004_220621.jpg20231004_220717.jpg20231004_222516.jpg
Couple "key" cuts and gone are the Y bones.

20231005_141929.jpg
Ther is Only one thing better then fresh fryed beer battered pike and that is fresh fryed beer battered pike pulled from the ice.
If Blue is good for anything it beer batter.. damn if that skunky beer don't give it just the right kinda of flavor every time.

Nice fishing!

We’re done with walleye this season and will be starting to hit the bay any time now for pike and perch. Fall and early winter on the bay provides such excellent fishing that it boggles my mind how people winterize their boats long before this great time of year.

Constructive criticism time. What temp did you fry those fish at and what flour did you use? It looks greasy.

Try using a recipe that doesn’t use any wheat flour and instead uses just rice flour and some cornstarch. Flour makes for soggy greasy batter, flour and corn starch makes for crispy batter, but if you go with rice flour and corn starch you get a crispy coating that stays crispy and barely absorbs oil.

Nice fishing!

We’re done with walleye this season and will be starting to hit the bay any time now for pike and perch. Fall and early winter on the bay provides such excellent fishing that it boggles my mind how people winterize their boats long before this great time of year.

Constructive criticism time. What temp did you fry those fish at and what flour did you use? It looks greasy.

Try using a recipe that doesn’t use any wheat flour and instead uses just rice flour and some cornstarch. Flour makes for soggy greasy batter, flour and corn starch makes for crispy batter, but if you go with rice flour and corn starch you get a crispy coating that stays crispy and barely absorbs oil.
375°. I wouldn't say it's to greasy at all but it's not oil/grease free either..it was fried deep in a skillet.
Im always listening to possibly make it better.

Always use sunflower oil. I Use some kind of Rose brand flour the woman favors for baking with and that's about all i know about it.🤣
Never did try or hear about rice flour but I like what your saying about it, I'll be sure to look into that & give it try.

The brew, heat & oil i currently use comes out vary crispy and not waterlogged with oil. I HATE SOGGY FRIED FISH.

Any particular brand of rice flour you would suggest ?

If you want to try something new- potato starch is good for frying fsih that falls apart, like ling, herring, Simcoe whitefish to some extend. It can be bough very cheap at any oriental store.

we tried to troll earlier this week in the inner bay, weeds at the surface everywhere and couldn't troll at all. The Fowl have been pulling it up everywhere !!

As for eating Pike, and I have done this, put walleye and pike in same size pieces then hit the fish crisp and people will never be able to tell the difference........... Shhhhhhh...... big secret......

A great hack for really crispy deep fried fish, chicken, anything is....have a bowl of cold water next to the pot of oil. Dip your coated fish in the water quick then right into the oil. Were always told water and hot oil are a no-no but all you get is a bit of a boil then calm. The result is a crispy exterior like never before! I dont know if it works with a wet batter though...

View attachment 80848
Ther is Only one thing better then fresh fryed beer battered pike and that is fresh fryed beer battered pike pulled from the ice.
If Blue is good for anything it beer batter.. damn if that skunky beer don't give it just the right kinda of flavor every time.
It is pretty good stuff to drink all on it's own too :). Especially after they stop putting Labatt 50 in cans - it jumped to beer #1.

Pike look delicious.

Given the recent backlash, would it be safe to assume no one will recommend Bud Light for such manly task as battering fish?🤣🤣🤣

Six-G:

Lovely job on the pike, both catching and filleting. I ate quite a few as a kid and remember that y-bone thing was a p.i.a. but you seem to have mastered it. I also remember that pike caught in cold water tasted much better than during the soupy summer months. I haven’t had any for some time, but your post has got me to thinking that it might be time to revisit it 🤔 Either way, they are much more entertaining than walleye to reel in And haunt the same places and attack the same baits as musky so…

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks