Fishing Report Northern Algonquin Backcountry Fishing/Camping Trip

Fishermanpaul

Headed up Thursday night with my girlfriend for Algonquin. We got to see some wildlife on the drive up, snapped a picture of a big bull moose that made us stop on the road. Ended up getting there around 1 am, but we had booked the jump off campsite so we could set up the tent quickly and crash for the night so we would have a full day the next day.

Overall the scenery was gorgeous, we got to stay on the island site at our lake which is always a nice bonus. I find island sites have great shore fishing. During the weekend we caught a mixed bag of species (walleye, bass, fallfish and a catfish) the most memorable had to be the catfish.. caught it in 30 feet of water and it was 15 feet off bottom on the fish finder and ate a jigging rap lol. Little bit of fly fishing trying for trout, wasn’t sure if there were any in the lake but all I caught was bass on the fly.

Well worth the 7 hour drive + 4 hour paddle/portaging to have experience the peacefulness of backcountry Algonquin.

Attachments

• 851E05D1-D584-412E-A5B8-5E08D114CAFF.jpeg
    851E05D1-D584-412E-A5B8-5E08D114CAFF.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 3DC41172-3506-4143-8EA9-8627DEA55E7D.jpeg
    3DC41172-3506-4143-8EA9-8627DEA55E7D.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 8701C59F-BC56-4F61-9E44-EC655E8C97AA.jpeg
    8701C59F-BC56-4F61-9E44-EC655E8C97AA.jpeg
    680.2 KB · Views: 150
  • B053979B-E87F-43F7-824A-0294EDA68092.jpeg
    B053979B-E87F-43F7-824A-0294EDA68092.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 35BF8F11-29A3-47BB-ADE3-81E995E91A63.jpeg
    35BF8F11-29A3-47BB-ADE3-81E995E91A63.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_4440.MOV
    42.3 MB
  • D22DC587-C266-4DBB-ABD2-6DB6EF63D343.jpeg
    D22DC587-C266-4DBB-ABD2-6DB6EF63D343.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4451.MOV
    9.4 MB
  • C9EBF68E-5B8E-4766-B1B4-B305421FFD03.jpeg
    C9EBF68E-5B8E-4766-B1B4-B305421FFD03.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 90CD4DF4-6D32-492E-B532-6AEB29957A10.jpeg
    90CD4DF4-6D32-492E-B532-6AEB29957A10.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 174
Beautiful Park. My wife comes from Golden Lake which is a bit east of the park on Hwy 60. I have been through that park hundreds of times and have fished a few lakes in it. Have also been stopped by many moose on the HWY especially in the spring when the black flies drive the Moose out on the HWY.

Love it! Thanks for posting, great photos. It is great catching so many species!

Have you had that collapsible net handle spin around on you ? Mine did. Always seemed to be with decent size pike when I wanted to keep them, and I imagine that cat put it to the test! I had to put a couple rivets into the handle to make it stop spinning and losing fish.

Headed up Thursday night with my girlfriend for Algonquin. We got to see some wildlife on the drive up, snapped a picture of a big bull moose that made us stop on the road. Ended up getting there around 1 am, but we had booked the jump off campsite so we could set up the tent quickly and crash for the night so we would have a full day the next day.

Overall the scenery was gorgeous, we got to stay on the island site at our lake which is always a nice bonus. I find island sites have great shore fishing. During the weekend we caught a mixed bag of species (walleye, bass, fallfish and a catfish) the most memorable had to be the catfish.. caught it in 30 feet of water and it was 15 feet off bottom on the fish finder and ate a jigging rap lol. Little bit of fly fishing trying for trout, wasn’t sure if there were any in the lake but all I caught was bass on the fly.

Well worth the 7 hour drive + 4 hour paddle/portaging to have experience the peacefulness of backcountry Algonquin.
Beautiful 🤩 photo’s and a great looking Algonquin Provincial Park! @Fishermanpaul 👍 I was wondering why you weren’t posting fishing reports for awhile now,and your fishing post just now,explains it! 👍 My wife and a couple of her friends will be going to Algonquin Park in October,to observe the Fall colours there. Perhaps 🤔 I should be going with them,( I have been asked by them ), but it’s the fishing in Algonquin Park that I would love to do there also. Thanks for sharing your trip,and I am now wondering on which park is prettier,Algonquin or Temagami Provincial Park,or maybe both are beautiful places. 🏕️🛶🎣🐟👍🙂

Beautiful Park. My wife comes from Golden Lake which is a bit east of the park on Hwy 60. I have been through that park hundreds of times and have fished a few lakes in it. Have also been stopped by many moose on the HWY especially in the spring when the black flies drive the Moose out on the HWY.
gotta love the park, and your wife is lucky to have grown up out there! Also that's interesting to know the blackflies do that.. that was the first moose I had ever seen, so I was stoked

Love it! Thanks for posting, great photos. It is great catching so many species!

Have you had that collapsible net handle spin around on you ? Mine did. Always seemed to be with decent size pike when I wanted to keep them, and I imagine that cat put it to the test! I had to put a couple rivets into the handle to make it stop spinning and losing fish.
Ive never had it spin around, it has a little screw down on on the handle similar to a rods reel seat that seems to hold it very well... I was lucky to find this net in our house when we moved in last year, an awesome gift from the previous owners lol .... what brand is yours? this one is lucky strike

Beautiful 🤩 photo’s and a great looking Algonquin Provincial Park! @Fishermanpaul 👍 I was wondering why you weren’t posting fishing reports for awhile now,and your fishing post just now,explains it! 👍 My wife and a couple of her friends will be going to Algonquin Park in October,to observe the Fall colours there. Perhaps 🤔 I should be going with them,( I have been asked by them ), but it’s the fishing in Algonquin Park that I would love to do there also. Thanks for sharing your trip,and I am now wondering on which park is prettier,Algonquin or Temagami Provincial Park,or maybe both are beautiful places. 🏕️🛶🎣🐟👍🙂
I have been fishing Glasgow a little bit, but went off the big lake to beat up on some fish in the Thames, farmers ponds, Sydenham and I guess Algonquin too ahah before we start vertical jigging the St. Clair river .... the Fall colours should be awesome when they go up, it was really just starting right now and some places had a lot more colour than others... its certainly a beautiful place with some good fishing I couldnt keep the bass off my line aha

Ive never had it spin around, it has a little screw down on on the handle similar to a rods reel seat that seems to hold it very well... I was lucky to find this net in our house when we moved in last year, an awesome gift from the previous owners lol .... what brand is yours? this one is lucky strike
Exact same lucky strike net! No idea why but the screw thing was crummy on mine. Maybe just a bad one, should have went back to Crappy tire perhaps. Glad it is doing the trick, and nice find in the house!

Exact same lucky strike net! No idea why but the screw thing was crummy on mine. Maybe just a bad one, should have went back to Crappy tire perhaps. Glad it is doing the trick, and nice find in the house!
Always going to be some duds for sure but that's depressing its the same net, I've been really happy with this one! I guess bound to happen though and always tough to know whether or not to return it

Where abouts did you go in the park? wife and I leaving tomorrow morning and canoeing in at the Tim Lake access point for 4 nights. She goes often into the park, only reason I'm going this time is I convinced her to do a canoe trip and not the normal hiking she does, I don't do hiking lol.

Where abouts did you go in the park? wife and I leaving tomorrow morning and canoeing in at the Tim Lake access point for 4 nights. She goes often into the park, only reason I'm going this time is I convinced her to do a canoe trip and not the normal hiking she does, I don't do hiking lol.
Yeah I like canoeing in too, especially because you can troll the whole way in aha. We went to Cedar lake access in Brent, 40 mins south of Mattawa and then went through little cedar, Aura Lee and camped on Laurel lake for two nights. I was in that Area youre going to earlier in the year with some friends and went from Magnetewan to Queer lake.

Are you staying on Tim lake?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks