Fishing Report North Side of Lighthouse Aug 14

Elmerfudd

Headed out of Hoovers at 7am on a straightline towards the lighthouse. Set up in 66 and trolled south. Found active fish at 95’ all the way out to 106. Dipsies on 3 back 120 and 130. Riggers down 40 amd 50. 5 and 7 leadcores. Everything fired. Nascar, gold/black redfins and orange/chart and wonderbread bombers were the main ticket. Also got into a flock of birds like Ive not seen away from saltwater. Steady action around them as well. Then my newbie driver managed to turn a 180 into the boards when he quit paying attention. Sorry to anyone we cut off with the corrective maneuvers. It was tight there for a few min. Never saw so many baitfish on the graph or visible on top. Crazy. Anyway 16 pics and 3 bows including a 8-9lber that gave us a hell of a show. Walleyes seemed bigger today on avg compared to what we got in Burwell yesterday.

Major trailer issues back at the dock. Might have me out of commission for awhile. Reds luck may be rubbing off on me.

@Elmerfudd what kind of birds were they? We noticed a huge flock out Bruce on the afternoon of the August 13 in the distance (about 6 miles south of port). To far away for use to see what they were..... Hopefully not the cormorant's feeding on smelt. They are hurting the near north trout fishery.

Glad to here eyes are moving in... I must of intercepted the greeting party on Saturday morning... lol... Hopefully they fix your trailer issues quickly... That's a beauty ride... Snap any pics of the bigger eyes??

Headed out of Hoovers at 7am on a straightline towards the lighthouse. Set up in 66 and trolled south. Found active fish at 95’ all the way out to 106. Dipsies on 3 back 120 and 130. Riggers down 40 amd 50. 5 and 7 leadcores. Everything fired. Nascar, gold/black redfins and orange/chart and wonderbread bombers were the main ticket. Also got into a flock of birds like Ive not seen away from saltwater. Steady action around them as well. Then my newbie driver managed to turn a 180 into the boards when he quit paying attention. Sorry to anyone we cut off with the corrective maneuvers. It was tight there for a few min. Never saw so many baitfish on the graph or visible on top. Crazy. Anyway 16 pics and 3 bows including a 8-9lber that gave us a hell of a show. Walleyes seemed bigger today on avg compared to what we got in Burwell yesterday.

Major trailer issues back at the dock. Might have me out of commission for awhile. Reds luck may be rubbing off on me.
Sorry to read @Elmerfudd and yes,it does suck to be not fishing!! Here’s hoping 🤞 that you will be fixed up quickly,and fishing again real soon,like I will be now. See you on the water,my friend!! 🚤🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟👍🙂

@Elmerfudd what kind of birds were they? We noticed a huge flock out Bruce on the afternoon of the August 13 in the distance (about 6 miles south of port). To far away for use to see what they were..... Hopefully not the cormorant's feeding on smelt. They are hurting the near north trout fishery.
Tons of sea gulls, some kind of terns I think and some but not as many cormorants. Based on stomach contents the baitfish were smelt.
Glad to here eyes are moving in... I must of intercepted the greeting party on Saturday morning... lol... Hopefully they fix your trailer issues quickly... That's a beauty ride... Snap any pics of the bigger eyes??
Dealing with a collapsed trailer tongue and my boat is stuck at Hoovers. Soon as I can get my shit show under control I will post some pics of the birds as well as some of the nicer walleyes

Tons of sea gulls, some kind of terns I think and some but not as many cormorants. Based on stomach contents the baitfish were smelt.

Dealing with a collapsed trailer tongue and my boat is stuck at Hoovers. Soon as I can get my shit show under control I will post some pics of the birds as well as some of the nicer walleyes
Collapsed tongue?? How does that happen? Isn't it nearly new? 😱

See photos. I figured it out but had to drink a beer and stare at it for awhile. Waiting on warranty call from trailer company and my dealer.

Attachments

• A8E71F45-574B-41E1-8532-60BB9591E184.jpeg
    A8E71F45-574B-41E1-8532-60BB9591E184.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 26102CCE-4CBF-4E56-ACEB-CFD222D6F250.jpeg
    26102CCE-4CBF-4E56-ACEB-CFD222D6F250.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 881CF88B-8C3C-4160-9330-BBFABE04EA8F.jpeg
    881CF88B-8C3C-4160-9330-BBFABE04EA8F.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 4EC8D91E-0B72-42AB-83A8-43C412C73528.jpeg
    4EC8D91E-0B72-42AB-83A8-43C412C73528.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 179
  • E2AD62DF-034B-48C1-898E-E1B842C5835E.jpeg
    E2AD62DF-034B-48C1-898E-E1B842C5835E.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 242
  • F46CDF14-F415-41AF-BDAD-2CA037734EF5.jpeg
    F46CDF14-F415-41AF-BDAD-2CA037734EF5.jpeg
    386.8 KB · Views: 265
  • CA20EA31-F941-45A8-9A6B-2D15C521B4EB.jpeg
    CA20EA31-F941-45A8-9A6B-2D15C521B4EB.jpeg
    445.3 KB · Views: 293
Wow never seen a trailer tongue collapse quite like that @Elmerfudd. Hope the trailer manufacturer comes through for you on warranty as well as an explanation how that could possibly happen. :eek: Nice fishing and photos. (y)

Holy f**k... I would have stroked out right on the spot... That makes me sick... They better make this right on all and every aspect...

On the other side... Nice fish bud...

I'm 38 minutes from the launch if you need a hand and still have a good left hook if ya need that too... 😉

Hope all goes well... Sorry this happened to you...

Holy f**k... I would have stroked out right on the spot... That makes me sick... They better make this right on all and every aspect...

On the other side... Nice fish bud...

I'm 38 minutes from the launch if you need a hand and still have a good left hook if ya need that too... 😉

Hope all goes well... Sorry this happened to you...
Greatly appreciated Jammer. Yep it was dragging concrete the whole way up the ramp and Im like WTF? I didnt leave the engine down did I? It looks like Im going to be in a slip there for a couple weeks while this gets made right. I hate the idea of leaving it in the water there (freakin gross in that creek) but may have no choice. On the flip side it will be easy to get out on the water. If this all goes down, you are welcome to join me some am or pm. We can trade some spots and techniques. Fish pics could have been better. I was in the middle of getting rolling cleaning them out there when those two wanted some photos.

From what it looks like from the picture is that the "HSS" hollow structural steel tubing has taken all the tongue weight at that spot and failed. Two things come to mine maybe three. Ok the boat sits on a trailer in storage and most likely is loaded full fuel amenity's and steady's on a power foot or a 12x12 wood up right most likely creating a swail or bow in the frame letting water pool inside the bottom of the HSS.. its galvanized by the looks of it but unless its a hotdip galve process most likely minimal coverage inside after rusting and taking that weight in that spot .....fatigue has set in and it bends .....
Then there is the weight of the boat and the manufacture of the trailer are... the two compatible what is the wall thickness of the main hss is it made to take the weight of the boat and motor and tire size and tire wall ply should be taken into account also .....Under rated trailers for boats we have all seen that .... this looks compatible from the pics ..

Then ....is the boats main winching stand to far back pulling the boat too far forward over the axels center point..... stress loading that point in the center hss main toung frame whith the boat loaded everyones gear...... coolers.... ect.... ect ........

Bummers this happened .....quick fix .... weld shop get a new length of 3/16....1/4 wall HSS ......spray it with gavl spray and i think you will be back in biz .....
All the best tight lines boys

There should be a support close to where the winch titans right below for the hook point is

Great points. The section of tubing is hot dip and definitely undersize in terms of wall thickness. Look at the photos and envision winching the boat onto trailer. The winch pulley is positioned such that im pulling down as well as forward thus loading the piss out of that spot where it failed. I think i need heavier tubing and a taller pulley upright to resolve this. Manufacturer, my dealer amd I are discussing it amd the resolution. Giving me back what I had before the failure is not acceptable for a package of this value and I have three years of warranty on the trailer. So far they have been good. We will see.

A lical guy woth a welding shop looked st it today amd suggested changing the square tubing to something heaver. He can do it but with the brake lines etc in the way Im looking at 1500-2000 bucks. Thats my fall back plan if I cant get any love out of the dealer amd trailer company.

As usual trailers are an afterthought to the package. Big time in this case. However the brakes and hubs etc are top shelf and have been flawless.

Great points. The section of tubing is hot dip and definitely undersize in terms of wall thickness. Look at the photos and envision winching the boat onto trailer. The winch pulley is positioned such that im pulling down as well as forward thus loading the piss out of that spot where it failed. I think i need heavier tubing and a taller pulley upright to resolve this. Manufacturer, my dealer amd I are discussing it amd the resolution. Giving me back what I had before the failure is not acceptable for a package of this value and I have three years of warranty on the trailer. So far they have been good. We will see.

A lical guy woth a welding shop looked st it today amd suggested changing the square tubing to something heaver. He can do it but with the brake lines etc in the way Im looking at 1500-2000 bucks. Thats my fall back plan if I cant get any love out of the dealer amd trailer company.

As usual trailers are an afterthought to the package. Big time in this case. However the brakes and hubs etc are top shelf and have been flawless.
Sorry on the typos. Long day.

Great catch & Nice bag of fish.

Seen the trailer on my way out Sunday night.. rough shape.
Breaks my heart to see such a sweet boat laid up on land becouse of something like that. Hope you get it sorted out and back to catching sooner then later.

@Elmerfudd, Was looking thru the ... https://venturetrailers.com/trailers/aluminum-trailer/ ... pages. Hopefully venture trailers will help you out on a "manufactures defective material" cause and corrective action - warranty repair. The dealer sold the boat & sized the correct trailer originally I assume. Defective tongue steel / quality issue? - Manufacture warranty -- I would enquire there. If you can find someone local to replace that steel, keep the receipts and pass them back thru the dealer and ask them to work it out with manufacturer.
Hate seeing the boating/fishing season impacted by these types of defects.
All the best to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually extended the winch tower on a trailer years ago. Getting the boat up the last couple of feet was very difficult. Even with the tongue bent up there is still quite a downward pull with your setup. Hopefully the dealer, comes through, he's the one that should have matched the trailer to the boat and had it set up properly. Good luck. Also, nice catch. Going to give the Elbow a try tomorrow.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks