Off Topic Normandale access up for sale.

I asked Toby Barrett about it, here is his response:

Good afternoon. I want to thank you for taking the time to write and call our office with concerns over the listing of the Normandale beach property. Our office understands the concerns but wanted to be able to respond to you all only after we had a fulsome grasp of what had and what was transpiring.

Since Tuesday, March 9th, we have come to learn some things not known prior to the listing going up -- that is largely thanks to all of you who stepped up to protect what is important.

Toby remains adamant that public beaches like Normandale should remain in public hands. On behalf of the people he represents he has made his views known to the Ontario Cabinet Ministers involved.

Following Toby’s conversations with several cabinet ministers and the Premier’s Office, the real estate listing is now paused until further notice.

By way of background, Norfolk County has been expressing interest in obtaining the land for about 13 years and this serves as one of the reasons the property was declared surplus. The expectation from the local MNRF office was that the municipality would follow through with their expressed interest in purchasing the property.

MNRF made the property surplus in early 2018 at which point Ministry Government Consumer Services (MGCS), via Infrastructure Ontario (IO), took control.

In May 2018, the property was posted to the circulatory portal. Norfolk County submitted an Expression of Interest (EOI) to IO. However, the municipality later rescinded that EOI so the property went on the open market. In January 2021, Norfolk County informed IO they would not be proceeding.

Bobbi Ann Brady, Executive Assistant

Office of MPP Toby Barrett

Ok. The municipality dropped the ball? I think that is what that says... after seeing the BC case where the americans bought land all around a couple of lakes, blocked access, and ultimately won in the top court that anyone 'on the lake' is trespassing. Selling public land that gives access to a water usually doesn't go well for the community around it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks