Nith River near Nithburg/Wellsley?

Trevor M

My wife and I were in Guelph today, and came home "the back way" through St Jacobs, and then Heidelburg, St. Clements, Crosshill, etc. We saw several Mennonite horse drawn buggies, one of which had 4 in it with fishin rods........then we saw 2 more horse and buggies tied to the trees near a bridge across the Nith River near Nithburg/Wellsley.

Anyone know what they might be fishin for there?

Now you are getting out into my neck of the woods
We get up thataway fairly regularly actually. Sometimes to St Jacobs for the market, or the Value Village and antique place around the corner. Sometimes to Stratford. Others, to Cambridge for Southworx, and of course we get to Brantford and Hamilton on a very regular basis, usually at least once every 4-5 weeks if not more frequently, we're in Brantford. I have a lot of family there, but since it's almost always a spur of the moment decision and nothing has been planned with family, we just don't tell anyone we're coming, or that we were there. ;):ROFLMAO:

Pike opener. Walleye get up about as far as the dam in New Hamburg. My son works at Natural Sports. One of the "Old Order" Mennos ordered 900 pike sized minnows for pickup. Has tanks on his farm to keep them and sells minnows to the Mennos. Ascension Day is a big fishing holiday.

Thanks for the responses. Never fished it (never will) was just curious as to what they might be catchin in it that far inland. Didn't know it emptied into the Grand River either. I learned somethin :)

Thanks for the responses. Never fished it (never will) was just curious as to what they might be catchin in it that far inland. Didn't know it emptied into the Grand River either. I learned somethin :)
We learn something almost every day,don’t we @Trevor M 👊👊 Just like me as well today,on reading this post about the Nith River,such as,that the Mennonite’s are also called,”Mennos?” 🤔 ( short form of course of mennonites ),and that was news to me,and I learned something as well today. lol 😂 😉👍🙂

My wife and I were in Guelph today, and came home "the back way" through St Jacobs, and then Heidelburg, St. Clements, Crosshill, etc. We saw several Mennonite horse drawn buggies, one of which had 4 in it with fishin rods........then we saw 2 more horse and buggies tied to the trees near a bridge across the Nith River near Nithburg/Wellsley.

I'm guessing they're fishin for fish maybe?:)

They are fishing for pike and walleye --the walleye in the Nith are not as prevalent as they were years ago--St. Jacobs used to have some decent walleye as well. The Mennonites fish it extremely hard. I have no issues with keeping some fish--but they release nothing---used to see them fishing the Conestoga for browns and walleye--every bucket was overflowing-with fish--when you have a one or two dozen people fishing a hole--it dooesn't take long to empty it out.

Suckers. They can them and I have been amazed at how great they taste. Fresh water tuna. Bones just melt with pressure cooking.

Wow! I have a lot of Mennonite clients on my boat that are a lot sharper than you're giving them credit for. Comments like that don't belong on a fishing forum. When they're on my boat talking about brokering million dollar land deals they put most people to shame just sayin!!
I live in that area there isn’t much in there the odd pike , carp and suckers keep in mind those mennos aren’t known for their

Right in my back yard! Many of them will actually prefer fishing for suckers which they absolutely love! There is still a great population of Pike and Walleye in the upper Nith around Wellesley...just not around the easy access locations like the bridges. Have seen some pictures of some nice catches that were infact released by the "Menno's....many of the ones I personally know are actually into catch and release and fun fishing!

Suckers. They can them and I have been amazed at how great they taste. Fresh water tuna. Bones just melt with pressure cooking.
I haven't tried canned suckers, but my wife's aunt saves up the little strips of meat with the Y-bones from their catch (mostly lake trout) and cans them. It's true that the bones don't survive canning. It makes the best "tuna" sandwich going... and its not like those cans of salmon where you get the crunchy backbones. The bones are just gone 🤷‍♂️

Sturgeon love 1/2" strips of white sucker meat on a hook, that is approx. 1/4 mile long with hooke spaced about 30-40 feet..in Geargian Bay...When I fished commercially we had 17 nice fish on one line...

Back