New to boating, Erie wind questions

PEI Guy

Hello All,
New to boating and eager to get out of Port Burwell for perch. I read some discuss South or East winds are not safe. Up to what wind speed would I be ok out in ?
Older 18 1/2 foot Star Craft with a 90 hp Evinrude.

image.jpeg

Hi PEI Guy, I don't own a boat, (yet) so I'm not exactly going to answer your question, because not owning a boat, I can't really answer it. Essentially though, it really depends on what you are comfortable with when on the water. However, with that said, what I can do is this. Before I go to the pier in Pt Bruce, I go to several different weather sites and use the info I get from them to make a decision. The first one I give you is showing that the winds are going to steadily decrease and be blowing at 10km/hr from the east by 6am.....and by 2 they'll be from the SSE at 6km/hr. If it were me going to the pier, I'd be going, but off a pier is considerably different than being out in a boat on the lake. Now, if I owned a boat, given that info, I'd be going, but that's me. What would keep me off the lake is the thunderstorm possibility. Rain wouldn't bother me, being out there in a severe thunderstorm might.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/ca/port-bruce?cm_ven=localwx_10day <<<this one gives you wind info, temps, and several other useful info tidbits and is generally accurate up to 2 days out.

https://www.windy.com/42.653/-81.008?41.725,-81.008,7,m:eQgadT8

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45132<<<this is the buoy out in the lake south of Port Stanley.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/ontario/london

https://weather.gc.ca/forecast/canada/index_e.html?id=on

After I've checked all of these, then I look out the window and see how much the trees are moving before I make a final decision. Hope this helps, and good luck when you do go.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 3 ft wave on the lake is very different than a 3 footer on the ocean. Our waves are very close together and are more than happy to come aboard and say hello Your boat will just barely finish rolling to the bottom of a wave and the next one is right there waiting. Life jacket Cell phone. Radio flares and good anchor are a must

I would stay home tomorrow, Sunday looks better (for now).
Another good forecast site - windfinder

I was aiming for Sunday, but some sites are listing light winds early, but building shortly after noon to 15 - 17 knots. So that's where my question originated. Is 15 - 17 knots too much for a 18.5 foot boat. The various sites contradict each other a bit. So appreciate everyone's advice. THANK YOU ! What source do you use that Sunday might be ok ?

They always do, that's why I always look out the window after I check'em all and trust what my eyes tell me looking at the trees. That first one I gave says the winds are going to shift to blowing out.......WNW, NW, and then N on Sunday and only up to 10km/hr.

Thats a good sized boat.....I wouldn't hesitate to take it out in just about anything short of a gale warning lol! Most importantly be cautious and be sure your boat is in top notch running order. If your an experienced captain that boat is more than big enough to handle all but the worst weather. On the other hand if your new to navigating the great lakes take it slow and get a feel for your rig and how it handles different wind and wave conditions.

I'd say if you want to stay comfortable out there avoid anything above 25km/h. Direction really doesn't matter too much when your beyond 2.5-3 miles offshore.

Josh

If you are brand new (or the boat is new to you) don't go out above 10 knots for your first couple trips, then try higher winds and build your comfort level. Winds from shore are more forgiving than winds blowing from across the lake. Long Point Bay is more forgiving than other locations. A kicker motor can be insurance. Just my thoughts.

Nice boat.

Hi Josh,
Thanks for the input. My OB hasn't been 100%, but getting better with each tweek and outing. First run after I bought was on a Small Craft Advisory day in Mitchell's bay LSC about a month ago. The 90 Hp quite about 2 miles out and I came home on the kicker. I grew up on the waters around PEI so had a bit of experience on the water in rough conditions.
Being more cautious now cause I want to get the wife out with me and not to familiar with Erie.
Thanks again friend !

If you are brand new (or the boat is new to you) don't go out above 10 knots for your first couple trips, then try higher winds and build your comfort level. Winds from shore are more forgiving than winds blowing from across the lake. Long Point Bay is more forgiving than other locations. A kicker motor can be insurance. Just my thoughts.

Nice boat.

Thanks Moose. First thing I bought after the boat was a kicker. Saved me on the first run. Good advice, I'll get some time under 10 knots and go from there. THANKS AGAIN !

You don't want to be out in big waves if your big motor quits. You want to have power to maintain direction and handle the waves with good throttle response in a smaller boat. A kicker can get you home on a normal day but won't maintain good boat control in the waves. I wouldn't go out in over 10-12 knots or 20km winds if you may have to rely on your kicker. It also depends on whether the wind is building or dropping. I'd rather go out in big rollers from the night before with the wind dropping than a moderate chop that's forecast to pick up significantly. The waves aren't as big a factor when your fishing, other than your anchor holding, it's the run out and back that can be rough depending on distance.
I have an 18' tiller with a new Evinrude 60hp HO. I find the tin boats ride higher in the water and don't plow in as much as a glass boat running in waves, but they ride a lot rougher in a moderate chop. Your hull design is also a factor, width to length, weight, deadrise and reverse chine or not all play a factor. As has been said get a good feel for your boat before you push it. There are enough nice days to be not worth risking it if you're uncertain.

I use an app called windy. On my phone. Works extremely well

And I also use the “storm radar “ app

With notifications on. It will give you a heads up when bad stuff is on the way

When you hear bad weather

run away

And live to fish another day

Do not venture out onto Erie unless you are sure that your equipment is working flawlessly. Things can go south very quickly and the last thing you need is a motor that may or may not get you to port.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks