New member ( commercial fisherman )

McMinnow there's not much if a market for sheepshead but we can use te silver bass as I'm sure you guys r glad to hear lol if u see pickerel or skinless silver bass in sobeys those r from my boat as well as perch w perch when we get them we are tryin to support local grocery stores and not just sell to the USA I believe the people around the lake that don't have access to a boat to catch there own should be able to eat our fresh fish from the lake and not have only ocean fish as their option

when the American market supports a better price for your fish you have to go with it. Thats business.

got a message from some one over the radio up near the silver barn some one cut the bouy loose on fishing nets they tried to get a boat numbe but failed now BOYS ITS AGAINST THE LAW TO TAMPER WITH IMPEED COMERCIAL NETS IF CAUCHT SEVERE things can happen so screw off boy this is a lively hood how would these peeps feel is their job was comprmised

As for Dave j there might be a market I'd be curious how big they r do you have a pic?

The size in Maine for the lobster sets are roughly 5'...custom colors on the pole and foam body. You can see your colors easy among all the other sets...and sometimes there are marker buoys all crammed together. Ill post some pics when I get them..I'll try and get a few to bring back. I think they would be useful on the lakes.

McMinnow there's not much if a market for sheepshead but we can use te silver bass as I'm sure you guys r glad to hear lol if u see pickerel or skinless silver bass in sobeys those r from my boat as well as perch w perch when we get them we are tryin to support local grocery stores and not just sell to the USA I believe the people around the lake that don't have access to a boat to catch there own should be able to eat our fresh fish from the lake and not have only ocean fish as their option

The folks here probably buy more than anyone ;) Not easy to catch fish often enough! Although I did manage one nice walleye today -- watching the swarm of tugs netting smelt I assume? Thanks for that earlier post on what channels you monitor. It would be good to know what channel to jump on if any of us needed to reach a nearby tug. Pretty much most/all here monitor 68.

I think I understand why you don't have blinking strobe lights on your nets and post their locations -- you are trying to avoid having people mess with your nets? They are generally safe to boat over and a 75lb weight doesn't seem like a big deal to my 25 ft boat if I do get a downriggers caught in it. I should only loose my cable and ball (an extra 1olb weight for you) as I think my old big jons in the gimble mount will hold. So it's a $100 oops vs a life threatening one. Thanks for that.

when the American market supports a better price for your fish you have to go with it. Thats business.
I respect a guy that does what is right for his Own country and isn't always driven by the all mighty dollar .It is thinking like this that has container ship after container ship filling Our shelves and killing our economy . Good job @myboys fish tug !! Keep it in Canada

Hey jrr yes those were smelt boats and not sure if you know ( not tryin to be disrespectful of your knowledge) bit they just tow a net and scoop up the smelt they don't leave nets out .Ill let ya know how I do as I have nets off the stacks and some farther down below peacock point did ok off peacock today but fish for me seemed to be down closer to bottom I'd say within 10 feet of bottom maybe be usefull info for you .In regards to losin any tackle if anyone one here loses any please let me know cause If it's in my nets u can have it back or give me coordinates and I it's another fishermans nets I might be able to get it back for you

Well this helps clear stuff up thanks for joining.My father-inlaw just retired awhile back from a lifetime of commercial fishing on Erie.Mother inlaw cut fish for Jackson for years also.I've heard all the arguments for both sides.Glad your hear to help try and mend things.

Hey jrr yes those were smelt boats and not sure if you know ( not tryin to be disrespectful of your knowledge) bit they just tow a net and scoop up the smelt they don't leave nets out .Ill let ya know how I do as I have nets off the stacks and some farther down below peacock point did ok off peacock today but fish for me seemed to be down closer to bottom I'd say within 10 feet of bottom maybe be usefull info for you .In regards to losin any tackle if anyone one here loses any please let me know cause If it's in my nets u can have it back or give me coordinates and I it's another fishermans nets I might be able to get it back for you

I was watching them pull the nets up and the seagull party that follows. I can't imagine how annoying those birds must be while on the boat! I was marking a load of smelt off the bottom... Not like the 40ft clouds of something a couple weeks ago but still an awful lot out there.

I picked my couple today just off the bottom. Once I heard the water temp was the same all the way up to the surface I figured they might be closer to the bottom.

Pretty sure I know your net well if you have been hanging around peacock for the last few weeks... Your net is on my favourite track that way when the wind is out of the W-SW ;) but didn't' work too well for me on the weekend so I moved closer to the smelt fishing action today.

Hello Myboys fishing tug.

We saw you out yesterday ( Tuesday ). You past north of us on your way back to Port Stanley. Nice boat. We could see a couple men working in the back. Looks interesting. I always look over fishing boats in different ports. Even when we travel I make my way to the ports to look over the boats. I really like the colour, there is no doubt who's boat it is. More commercial fisherman should pick up on that and paint their boats bright colours. It's always great to see brightly coloured boats in a port. Thanks for joining the forum. You views are from a different aspect of the sport ,occupation and are welcome.

Are the nets out all night? I am planning on an evening fish trolling and am wondering if I still have to watch out for the nets or are they back in the boat by then?

Hey Tug, just out of curiosity, what is the most impressive fish (from a sport fishing perspective) that you have ever pulled up in your nets?

I would like to mention something else @myboys fish tug as I have nothing against commercial guys except the ones that deliberately over harvest. In the early 1980's I purchased a brand new Doral for salmon fishing. On our maiden voyage unknown to my knowledge Doral had installed the gas tank vent improperly and the tank filled with water to the point the motor totally quit on our way back to Port Stanley. Those were days of no VHF, only had the useless CB so were adrift for 7 hours in what had become 7-8 waves. Anybody who's ever been in those conditions with no power know what I'm talking about. Anyway to make a very long story short a tug out of Port Burwell who's owner had 45 years on Erie commercial fishing was the only one that would venture out to retrieve us. So I would just like to add that you guys are okay in my book. (y)

Even though when the tug pulled up to me while trying to drift close enough to get us off with the rocking up and down his tug came down on top of one of my brand new electric downriggers driving it completely through my gunnel rail totally destroying it. :eek::D

Hey chuckin well I have to say my most impressive was a sturgeon that was just over 4 feet long and man they r cool lookin he was barely caught and I live released him ...after admiring him and wave runner thanks for likin us lol I've been involved a couple times helpin boats get back to shore safely .... We get the call first before the coast guard can get out so if never see anyone in danger if I can help it and I know what u mean I tore a cleat off a boat towing him in rough water and as for over harvesting that's pretty hard to do as we are pretty closely monitored which is good that's what the quota s in place for to keep things in control

Hey caught by the ton my outside end is 92 feet of water and my can lines r ten fathom so 60 ft to top of nets

No class we've been fishing this area for years and it seems to be where the fish migrate up to and hang out feeding on smelts as well as the elbow which also a great area for the next 2 months

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks