New member ( commercial fisherman )

myboys fish tug

hi everyone
I'm sure I'm not overly welcome here but I asked Stomp to let me join because I think it's time commercial and anglers got on same page .ive just read the post about nets and I'm the red boat that fishes here and in regards to nets walleye nets are canned and always r set north/ south .I have recently purchased some big yellow bleach jugs although they r costly I want everyone to be safe so if I could get some feedback on how they show up that would be great .I can see them about a mile away but want to make sure u guys can to .As for perch nets they can be set in any direction but r on bottom and only reach up about 3 feet so there should be a worry there . As for crossing can nets of you see them there is 6 jugs and that is one box then a long line to an anchor then back to another 6 jugs that hold up the nets I have smaller jugs in the middle and a big jug to mark each end so that's something to look for as I believe you can cross there or a the bouy and each end of the set .These are just a few answers that I hope help and welcome feedback as I think we can all work together to enjoy the fishery also I can provide info on fish locations if anyone is interested
thanks for reading this

First off welcome to the forum- and being an angler that fishes out of Burwell for walleye- I do appreciate all the information that you have taken the time to share. I know of a few anglers who have had the misfortune of getting their gear caught up in some nets and that was always a grave concern of mine. I'm sure your input will be most welcome on this site. I'm thinking of Burwell on Wednesday so I'll take any advice you may have. Thanks again
Mark

I saw a sail boat drop a big yellow jug at the end of the pier on the weekend
Is that the jugs you are talking about?
If so I can't see how anyone would miss those!
(y)

If u don't mind sharing location of fish.... where is a good depth to find walleyes right now...by the looks of bottom Temps majority will b in American waters right now..was out on weekend manage 2 pics to bows....had to work for them though. ...must have seen 25 bows on surface feeding...thanks for sharing

Welcome aboard,thanks for taking the time to reach out and even more so for your efforts in making your nets more visible to us. I think a little better understanding of your business and equipment will go a long, long way in making sure the great fishery we have is enjoyed by everyone. I have tried to do some research on your stuff over the last couple of years and speak to whoever I can about things but it's kind of hard to find current information about the local commercial fishing. If you have some spare time maybe you can help all of become a little more educated.

You're MORE than welcome on any fishing forum...nothing like having an expert around for tips , techniques...and a location or 2 can't hurt!! It would be nice to get some insight into seasonal migrations of fish, how you track movement, etc.
I have vacationed in Maine for 25+ years, and have stayed/fished with the Johnson family for much of those years...lobster fishermen. After seeing their buoy markers, how they make them, and how EASY they are to see, I've thought about starting up a workshop operation here...I wonder if there would be a market with the commercial boats??

Welcome to the forum!! And thank you for sharing some very important information the more everyone knows the better!! Thanx for joining we will all benefit from your post!(y)

Welcome Myboys, Glad your here, look forward to any info that can clear up some of these questions and maybe help keep us safe out there.

Hi All, new here and just getting into some perch and walleye fishing. I was just wondering what 'can nets' are. I saw a couple of net lines out on saturday and had no idea how to navigate around/ through them. Although i did see a number of people speed through with no ill affects.. Also, look forward to posting some catches in the near future and participating more on this great forum.

THX

answered my own question with a little googling…

'Most perch nets are set along the bottom. Walleye gill nets that are suspended in the water column off of the bottom are called can nets.'

Last edited:
Welcome here....nice to have someone who can speak for the commercial side of things....would love to read more specifics on the nets, locations and ways of marking them, as I too think they are NOT easily visible. In my opinion they were not marked well and even in smallest chop almost impossible to see the small white jugs....by the time you see them it is usually too late. Needless to say how much of trouble one can get in by tangling their rigger lines in those nets.
Anyhow appreciate your will to comment and share your knowledge on the board...and looking forward to your contributions.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Last edited:
I for one and as well as many here are more than pleased you have joined here, welcome. To me it's not a them against us. Everyone has a right to earn a living in this country the old fashioned way, you work for it and you guys sure do that.

My question is why there isn't a standard for marking nets? I know that there is too much legislation now and we really don't want more but to me this is a safety issue for all.

And thank you for making the effort and incurring the extra cost to make your nets more visible. I wish every comm. guy would too. It's in their best interest, I'm sure a torn up net costs more than some big floats. I might even kick in a couple of bucks myself.

Last edited:
If u don't mind sharing location of fish.... where is a good depth to find walleyes right now...by the looks of bottom Temps majority will b in American waters right now..was out on weekend manage 2 pics to bows....had to work for them though. ...must have seen 25 bows on surface feeding...thanks for sharing

Sorry leemo unlike Derek I want to hit the Don't Like button. The gentleman joined here to help us understand the commercial fishery not give out his best spots which are really easy to find just look for the nets.

Nevertheless welcome aboard Stomps 6-8 forum. I was told by Italo Labignon of Canadin Sport Fishing Show when I was at Nipissings west arm and he had the cottage next to us that week filming that the big girls migrate east along the southern (US) shoreline in the spring and then make the turn at Niagara then head west back to their spawning area all summer. I'm sure not every Pic follows that exact pattern but close I bet. They seem to still be around Maitland and are heading towards the Elbow now. Depths will change based on water temps and schools of bait fish. Find the little fish and the big fish will be close by. I would throw some spoons at those surface feeding Bows, that would be a blast to get one on the surface. Maybe a Little Cleo you can cast a ways. Carry a spinning rod with you and a small box of casting spoons, I think I will too. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Sorry leemo unlike Derek I want to hit the Don't Like button. The gentleman joined here to help us understand the commercial fishery not give out his best spots which are really easy to find just look for the nets.

Nevertheless welcome aboard Stomps 6-8 forum. I was told by Italo Labignon of Canadin Sport Fishing Show when I was at Nipissings west arm and he had the cottage next to us that week filming that the big girls migrate east along the southern (US) shoreline in the spring and then make the turn at Niagara then head west back to their spawning area all summer. I'm sure not every Pic follows that exact pattern but close I bet. They seem to still be around Maitland and are heading towards the Elbow now. Depths will change based on water temps and schools of bait fish. Find the little fish and the big fish will be close by. I would throw some spoons at those surface feeding Bows, that would be a blast to get one on the surface. Maybe a Little Cleo you can cast a ways. Carry a spinning rod with you and a small box of casting spoons, I think I will too. Hope that helps.

I was liking that he went out and caught a few bows and saw some feeding on the surface.
Couldn't care less if he shares locations or not.

My boat isn't set up for trolling
And yah the perch are in different depths each day and each time of day sooo yah I know how to find them.

So not really sure what you're getting at there @WhatsthePoint

What

Read this post to the last sentence..like u should have read the 1st post in this forum....my boys said he didn't mind giving location of fish...I fish 40 miles west of where his nets are...looking for depth not GPS coordinates go get ur eyes checked out bud...u like to criticize anyone u can....anyway what's the point I can see by amount of time u r on here u r forum fisherman anyway good luck on the couch this week!!!?good luck everyone else!!!!!46 to 53 ft was best fished Glasgow.

Everyone that is running down riggers should have a set of cable cutters sitting on deck it gets scarry real fast in 4 foot rollers with a rigor stuck in anything let alone a net just food for thought 50 feet go buy very quickly when trolling 2.5 mph and there is something pulling down and turning u cross ways to the big erie fillers

Well I have to say I'm pretty happy with the response and thanks I'm glad to try and help this May take a couple posts to reply to all but here goes lol first of all Konrad I'll ask some guys in burwell and see where they r gettin eyes and let u know and Derek not sure about the yellow jug at pier but mine r 18" long by a foot wide and a foot thick and stand up most of that out of the water and ya they r hard to miss . I'd like to say about the rules on net markin there isn't any that I know of from a commercial side it's partly about have jugs that aren't to bulkyas we have to have about 80-100 on board so space becomes an issue and another reason is and I realize this is only a small majority but the more visible the easier the tampering which happens a lot more than you'd think it's frustrating when you pull your nets and there all messed up or cut with a knife but I realize things need to change and maybe if I mark my nets better you guys can help be my eyes out there to help me so it's a win win .

It is great to have a you onboard. My grandfather was a commercial fisherman and taught me about nets. I would guestamate 99% of all fisherman/women don't know about nets. Your information can only help everyone who enjoys this fantastic fishery we are blessed with.

As for Dave j there might be a market I'd be curious how big they r do you have a pic? And as for migration I am give you my opinion by no means is it anything more than my opinion but there's is definitely a migration far extreme west basin to long point bay as I get jaw tags every year from Sandusky Ohio and also tags from Dunkirk and a few from omnr which I turn all into mnr so they can and track migrations but I think they western fish move nd own the lake and arrive here sometime in July depending on water temp and the eastern fish from maitland / colborne move west to the bay and r just getting here now and there is also a stock that lives here year around but the bay is a big mixing ground for all sticks as they seem to migrate here to feed on smelts and hang in there favorite water temp .... That's just my opinion though

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks