New member ( commercial fisherman )

Is it illegal to dive down and take a Walleye or two out of the nets to bring home for dinne when you've trolled all day and caught nothing? Or, is it just generally frowned upon? Just curious.

-Anonymous
(Welcome aboard )

Welcome, I will read what you have to say with great interest.
Quick question: how much of a bow can develop in one of your can nets usually? In other words, how much leeway should we give them to be safe?

What's the point I agree it's not is against them there's lots for everyone and I agree the cost outweigh the torn nets and thanks for the offer of kickin in but it's ok just want this to benefit everyone and I agree for the most part with Italo but I think there's a lot bigger eastern stock that stays there and migrates to the bay than mnr thinks

Hthm as for the bow id say about no more than 100 ft max and I read here on a post about jugs being pulled down cause nets were loaded with fish that's not true I've had a lot I fish and never pulled the jugs down it's actually the current that pulls them down and even if they re empty they can be pulled underwater just from the current it can be evil lol

Well I have to say I'm pretty happy with the response and thanks I'm glad to try and help this May take a couple posts to reply to all but here goes lol first of all Konrad I'll ask some guys in burwell and see where they r gettin eyes and let u know and Derek not sure about the yellow jug at pier but mine r 18" long by a foot wide and a foot thick and stand up most of that out of the water and ya they r hard to miss . I'd like to say about the rules on net markin there isn't any that I know of from a commercial side it's partly about have jugs that aren't to bulkyas we have to have about 80-100 on board so space becomes an issue and another reason is and I realize this is only a small majority but the more visible the easier the tampering which happens a lot more than you'd think it's frustrating when you pull your nets and there all messed up or cut with a knife but I realize things need to change and maybe if I mark my nets better you guys can help be my eyes out there to help me so it's a win win .

If I see anyone on the nets that isn't a fishing tug I will be sure to snap a picture and post it here. But do you think that sometimes the nets are all messed up because someone with a big cruiser ran through them by accident? Or someone got their downriggers stuck?

What is the minimum spacing required between the ends of two nets set in line with each other? I passed between the flags of two nets early this spring near colchester but caught an anchor rope to one of them and ended up with a flag on my swim platform. There was too much rope out and the marker was at an angle to the anchor instead of straight over it. Fortunately I trimmed my outdrive and pushed the rope off without harm.

Almost always my nets r atleast 15 ft down usually 25 or lower so probably not cruiser but I'm sure some could be from riggers and I appreciate you keep pin an eye out and there is no minimum between nets but you have to remember the bouys move with the current and r not directly over the nets and we need to have leed line between the anchor and bouy so we don't snap the line when pulling the bout with the weight of the boat

Thanks- just curious- what does one of those anchors weigh? Seems like there should be a minimum distance when a tug is setting a series of nets, in a straight line, a mile long. I'm talking about safe boat travel through a series of canned nets at the surface- not perch nets.

Last edited:
Welcome myboys I am interested in any info you have to offer either from the commercial side or recreational side.
If someone was messing with the nets, is there a radio channel we could use to contact you or authorities to report them?

Litg8r our anchors for perch nets weight about 25 lbs but our anchors for walleye nets weight about 75 lbs and are bigger so they can dig in to prevent nets from moving and as far as distance there isn't any but it takes a hundred feet or so to finish setting one and to get set up to start another so usually that's lots of distance for safe travel

fish ninja all nets are set the same way so they are safe to travel across not just mine

Heitman I have 2 radios on at all times one on channel 06 and one on channel 10 and can be reached there or I'd say call mnr or mnr tips line

I must say @myboys fish tug you have created a very interesting thread which I'm sure will generate incredible interest and already has.

I think it's great that you have taken it upon yourself to finally open up some important dialog between the commercial and the recreational fishing which is long over due. Hopefully educating each other can dispel some of the myths, misconceptions and animosity that has developed between the 2 parties over the years. Working together will always far outweigh our differences and ultimately will benefit both camp's interests. I see only good coming from this so therefore congratulate you for your cool headed insight into a matter that has always needed a reasonable resolution to the infighting that has existed between us.

Also a warm welcome to the forum, as you can see your thoughts and compelling concerns are already being well received. (n)(n)(n) :)

Wow thanks @myboys fish tug ! Welcome aboard and GREAT thread. That has cleared up a ton of anxiety about commercial nets for me and I assume a lot of other people. It is good to know that as long as I am not trolling, I should not have to worry about crossing your nets. I have been swerving to look for gates in the past, but that may be in actual fact be a more dangerous place to cross, referencing your anchor lines with the slack required to allow for the current! Thanks again so much for the info. And to everyone else for asking great questions.

Last edited:
id like to work on a commercial fishing boat once in my life ... also what do u guys do with the sheepheads n slivers ?

As for Dave j there might be a market I'd be curious how big they r do you have a pic? And as for migration I am give you my opinion by no means is it anything more than my opinion but there's is definitely a migration far extreme west basin to long point bay as I get jaw tags every year from Sandusky Ohio and also tags from Dunkirk and a few from omnr which I turn all into mnr so they can and track migrations but I think they western fish move nd own the lake and arrive here sometime in July depending on water temp and the eastern fish from maitland / colborne move west to the bay and r just getting here now and there is also a stock that lives here year around but the bay is a big mixing ground for all sticks as they seem to migrate here to feed on smelts and hang in there favorite water temp .... That's just my opinion though

he is correct in his knowledge...i agree.western basin to say erieau you will get a steady flow all season..if your ever gonna dock a boat for the season its there....

I have been fishing out of port Burwell since 1982 and I have never been caught up in a net yet you think theres lots of nets now there was double those back in the hay days when garold of the lauri B was there so was my friends the martins brett and i have become buddys over the years. back then I think we had 5 or 6 tugs in burwell. I learned a lot about setting of nets when I worked for gord of kingfisher charters. if the gates are wide enough in the middle of boxes I troll wright though it a lot of times you can catch the ones that swim up the side of them and then go back through the other way depending on which derection is better. I have not even seen a canned net yet this year I rather not the school of fish gets broke up. im getting enough fish wright now to keep my customers happy its the toughest start to a season I have ever fished in burwell water is cold too much bait and there harder to catch when there on surface my deepest fishing line is 35ft. Saturday we got 5 walleye and a rainbow Sunday 5 bows and 1 walleye. a buddy of mine had 5 and 5 they are there just hope for temps change when the fish are down 20 to 40ft will be nice. I hope you guys leave big gates would be great if were trolling east and west I don't have to go all the way up to end to go around it. hey my boys take as many silver bass as you can I know the market sucks for them but at least it will pay for your gas.

McMinnow there's not much if a market for sheepshead but we can use te silver bass as I'm sure you guys r glad to hear lol if u see pickerel or skinless silver bass in sobeys those r from my boat as well as perch w perch when we get them we are tryin to support local grocery stores and not just sell to the USA I believe the people around the lake that don't have access to a boat to catch there own should be able to eat our fresh fish from the lake and not have only ocean fish as their option

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks