Off Topic New Fishfinder Opinions

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I am thinking of updating my Humminbird 788 CI (5 inch) which has served me well for the last 7 years to a new 7 inch model with down imaging. My helm space is limited but these 4 units meet the size requirement for my side console without too much intrusion. The Humminbird and Lowrance are comparable models although reviews say the Humminbird mega down imaging is superior technology to the Lowrance HDI. I was hoping some here own one of these particular units that could give me their experienced opinion so I can weigh the pros and cons of each model through actual use. Also your thoughts on down imaging over normal SwitchFire Sonar, is it worth it or is it just all hype? I appreciate all replies. :)

Humminbird Helix-7 Chirp Mega DI GPS G3 with Nav+ $849
1103185_primary.jpg

Lowrance Elite-7 Ti² HDI with Nav+ $899
000-14629-001_1.jpg

Simrad GO7 XSR Total Scan with Nav+ $1,089
000-14319-001_02.jpg

RAYMARINE Element 7 Hv with Nav+ $975
Element-9-Front-Hypervision.png

Last edited:
I have the lowrance . Works OK at best. Needs constant rebooting. Took it back the angling outfitters a few times. I rarely use the down imagaing. GPS acting up now and they cant reset clock . Think my next one will not be a lowrance. Just my two cents

they did advertise till about a week back , carbon 7 for 949.95 with the ducer at gpscity.ca. If you were choosing lowrance it may be worth a call to ask if any more exist . Sweet unit.

link,

Last edited:
I have the lowrance . Works OK at best. Needs constant rebooting. Took it back the angling outfitters a few times. I rarely use the down imagaing. GPS acting up now and they cant reset clock . Think my next one will not be a lowrance. Just my two cents
Thanks for the reply the Lowrance is the one I'm a little Leary of. Always had Hummingbird units with no issues so leaning that way but still interested in the Simrad as have heard good about them. Still unsure about DI and SI if worth the extra cost.

I have the Lowrance hook 7. Second season on it. I'm surprised how slow the unit is for the price point. I'm wondering if higher end models would be quicker? I would personally go with the Simrad. I've heard there technology is not comparable. But I'm not sure how they communicate with a trolling motor (motor guide or Minn Kota)

As for the 3 you have listed. The Simrad has total imaging. And the Lowrance has DI and SI as well. therefore prices are not apples to apples so to speak.

I just bought the simrad go9 and I've always been hummingbird as well but from what I've experienced so far I'm in love with the simrad!, unfortunately I'm let to take the boat into the lake to fully run it lol

I bought the Helix 9 chirp Si earlier in the year. Performs all functions no problem, no issues. Bigger is definitely better. So far rarely use the Di or Si, features are great but don’t utilize them much. Still learning and have years to find out.

I have the Lowrance hook 7. Second season on it. I'm surprised how slow the unit is for the price point. I'm wondering if higher end models would be quicker? I would personally go with the Simrad. I've heard there technology is not comparable. But I'm not sure how they communicate with a trolling motor (motor guide or Minn Kota)

As for the 3 you have listed. The Simrad has total imaging. And the Lowrance has DI and SI as well. therefore prices are not apples to apples so to speak.
Thanks Waldo your right as the Humminbird Helix 7 Mega SI G3N that has both down and side imaging like the Lowrance is $1,090. For that price it would be better to go with the Simrad, same price. Sounds like most people don't really use either DI or SI so maybe best to just go with the standard switchfire sonar I'm used to and save some money at the same time. ;):)

I’ve been very happy with my elite 7ti with down and side imaging. I’ve never heard from a guy that was very happy with one of the lowrance hook units though. I do sometimes use my side imaging to scan for schools of fish off the sides and then mark them and swing back. It works pretty well on larger schools of fish!

You can’t go wrong with the Simrad unit at all. I have had my Go7 XSE for 4 years now and love it. I will be trading it in in the spring for the newer unit as I want to run two units and the new ones talk to each other via wireless.

Thanks for the reply the Lowrance is the one I'm a little Leary of. Always had Hummingbird units with no issues so leaning that way but still interested in the Simrad as have heard good about them. Still unsure about DI and SI if worth the extra cost.

Simrad and Lowrance are basically the same thing and both Co-owned. I am biased and run 3 Lives with the 3in1 Active imaging transducer and my TM150 (I love them!) but my neighbor who is an older gentlemen and had 2 Humminbird Helix's that were only a few years old and hated them. He landed up going with two EliteTi2's from Jocelyn at Angling Outfitters and I have set them all up for him...he is in love with them. Touch screens, simple to use amazing imaging with the 3in1 (DO NOT GET THE TOTAL SCAN transducer!!!) they are networkable thru WIFI and are almost as fast as my Live's are!

You will find if you are just focusing on deeper water on Lake Erie or similar the Lowrance/Simrad offer the best 2D sonar in the market. Humminbird will have amazing Side and Down Scan if your wanting that but in deeper water it may not be exactly what your looking for.

Ryan

I've always ended up with Lowrance and currently running 2 HDS Gen II units. If I were to upgrade now, Garmin would be extremely high on my list with a Lowrance HDS Live unit. The Live unit is impressive but at a huge price premium and I wouldn't touch an Elite or Hook units; so slow on the mapping side for my liking. I've yet to be thrilled with a 'bird and Simrad & Raymarine were never big in the freshwater market when I was looking in the past but I'd give them a look before deciding now. Keep in mind, this is for my fishing preference... mostly trolling with lots of zooming and waypoint dropping... I'm more GPS dependent than sonar dependent.

Simrad and Lowrance are basically the same thing and both Co-owned. I am biased and run 3 Lives with the 3in1 Active imaging transducer and my TM150 (I love them!) but my neighbor who is an older gentlemen and had 2 Humminbird Helix's that were only a few years old and hated them. He landed up going with two EliteTi2's from Jocelyn at Angling Outfitters and I have set them all up for him...he is in love with them. Touch screens, simple to use amazing imaging with the 3in1 (DO NOT GET THE TOTAL SCAN transducer!!!) they are networkable thru WIFI and are almost as fast as my Live's are!

You will find if you are just focusing on deeper water on Lake Erie or similar the Lowrance/Simrad offer the best 2D sonar in the market. Humminbird will have amazing Side and Down Scan if your wanting that but in deeper water it may not be exactly what your looking for.

Ryan
Thanks for the reply Ryan. You say not to get the total scan transducer is there a reason why? What do you recommend for a transducer? I fish mostly Lake Erie anymore and am used to using 2D sonar and don't think I really need DI or SI would probably confuse me more than help me. LOL! :)

they did advertise till about a week back , carbon 7 for 949.95 with the ducer at gpscity.ca. If you were choosing lowrance it may be worth a call to ask if any more exist . Sweet unit.

link,
Thanks for the link and compared to prices I've searched out that's a really good price on the carbon unit. I should find out tomorrow if they have any more available but I don't hold out much hope though. I contacted them on Friday concerning a Simrad GO7 which also was at a good price and nope no more available.

Thanks for the link and compared to prices I've searched out that's a really good price on the carbon unit. I should find out tomorrow if they have any more available but I don't hold out much hope though. I contacted them on Friday concerning a Simrad GO7 which also was at a good price and nope no more available.

I think you'll enjoy the simrad go series with the simplicity of use as well as you can bottom color along as having the Downscan overlay so you can see the fish sitting on the bottom check out simrad go videos on YouTube or search for the one where he tells you to setup even better and you can see the finder in action live in the water

Thanks for the video @untouchable365 that was really interesting. The 2D sonar has come a long way, that's amazing imaging. I'll certainly check out some more on Youtube as well. :)

I don't want to tell you what to do brother but I've learned from my mistakes personally so I turned to youtube to help me decide what I like and why I like it I've always used hummingbird just because I knew how to work it but it was finally came out of my comfort zone and went with something else I picked up the simrad go9 last week at angling outfitters, I think for us trollers hummingbird isn't what we truly utilize simrad and Lawrence and garmin are the trollers go to, and honestly the best thing I did was I went into the store and played with them personally even after watching the YouTube videos

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks