Off Topic New Fishfinder Opinions

I have a humminbird helix and I like it, I do have si and di, but i dont use them much, If I was to look into buying a new unit I would like to get the garmin panoptix, it is absolutely amazing, seen a few videos on it, guys were jigging for muskie and you could clearly see that the fish that hit their jig was a muskie, and it is live, just has a bigger price tag as I think that is just the transducer that you can add to newer garmin models

Wow that truly is amazing imaging @aknelsen! You can actually see the fish swimming around with tails going even when stationary and can clearly see what species it is. The only problem is it's $2,360 w/tax just for the Garmin Panoptix LiveScope System with transducer at Cabelas Canada. :jawdrop: Then you have to buy the Garmin unit to use it with on top of that so big bucks. It certainly would be nice though but unfortunately out of my comfort zone price wise.

Well I'm off to go fishing out of Port Stanley this morning with my very outdated fishfinder onboard so have a great day. ?

Finally had spare time today and took the boat out to test the new sonar and man I love the simrad out in 240ft of water it’s clear as if I was in 30ft of water !!

Sounds great @untouchable365. I will definitely be taking a long hard look at the Simrad as it is also the most compact of the units I have looked into. Lots to consider and season is winding down so will keep looking for next season.

I had an older Hummingbird with DI and SI. I rarely used it for walleye on Erie. This time I opted for a Helix 7 with the N to connect to the trolling motor (that I will buy in a future year). I like the concept that the trolling motor can sync with the Helix for autopilot. There are times when you have two or three fish on when there isn't a person to steer. It's also great when perch fishing.

Thanks for the reply Ryan. You say not to get the total scan transducer is there a reason why? What do you recommend for a transducer? I fish mostly Lake Erie anymore and am used to using 2D sonar and don't think I really need DI or SI would probably confuse me more than help me. LOL! :)
If your getting a Ti2 unit it will OR should come with the new Active Imaging 3in1 transducer! Its hands down better than the old TotalScan and gives you amazing 2D and, Down Scan and even side scan even in deeper water!

A fish finder is good if you turn it on and you fish without touching and fine tune up anything on water.
Also a good one is the one that can split the screen and has Sonar & GPS/Chart windows simultaneously or create any combination of those.
You need to know what is your speed, where are you heading, how deep is the water, what is the time, and if you have fish under the boat. The most accurate fish finder have at least few beam frequencies.
I have a Helix 9 SI Mega that does the above tasks.
If you don't fish under 30FOW you don't need SI, you can chose DI only.
The size: the bigger the better.

Wow that truly is amazing imaging @aknelsen! You can actually see the fish swimming around with tails going even when stationary and can clearly see what species it is. The only problem is it's $2,360 w/tax just for the Garmin Panoptix LiveScope System with transducer at Cabelas Canada. :jawdrop: Then you have to buy the Garmin unit to use it with on top of that so big bucks. It certainly would be nice though but unfortunately out of my comfort zone price wise.

Well I'm off to go fishing out of Port Stanley this morning with my very outdated fishfinder onboard so have a great day. ?

I've had all 3 and liked all 3 . Have Simrad go9 now and enjoy it. touch screen easy to use. Fast zooms, easy to use interface, auto updates via wifi in my drive way. SideScan not really for trolling . Down Scan ok but not much to see on Lake Erie bottom. You could save $ by getting a cheaper unit(and be fine) but you could also save by just buying your fish.

@Twister the down imaging was fantastic when I tried it out on Monday on lake O I could see the fish hiding in the weeds with the overlay turned on and the bottom colouring activitaed

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks