Need some Dipsy Guidance

Marshall Law

Hello. I am back to fishing the elbow from having many years off. I am trying to figure out my dipsy depths. Can you help? I am running braid, with size 1 and magnum dipsys. Usually at 0 setting to 2 setting. My question is, how many feet should I be letting out for my depths? Eg. markings at 50’, should I be letting out 100’ on my line counter reel? All help and suggestions are appreciated! Also, I usually run approx 2 mph. I like to run spoons. And worm harnesses.

Look up the charts and then print them off for your tackle box. I believe charts also come with the dipsies when you purchase them. I dont have them handy or i would send a pic.

I laminated the size 1 and Magnum charts together and keep em on board for reference.

Tape the charts to the inside of a transparent tackle box lid so you always have them and they'll never get lost or damaged. Mine are in the box where I store the divers.

Also remember that the charts are worthless unless you calibrate your line counter reels. Some people don't seem to think that it's important but it is if you want to rely on the charts or share info with others. Unless your reel is full, you can be out by 50 to 80% versus a property calibrated reel

Last edited:
Ok. Those are great. I have spoken to a few anglers and just say they get their setup and keep running the same thing that works. Is that what you typically do? If I am targeting my markings on my sonar, I want to be able to rely on the dipsy chats. Thanks for this!!

Hello. I am back to fishing the elbow from having many years off. I am trying to figure out my dipsy depths. Can you help? I am running braid, with size 1 and magnum dipsys. Usually at 0 setting to 2 setting. My question is, how many feet should I be letting out for my depths? Eg. markings at 50’, should I be letting out 100’ on my line counter reel? All help and suggestions are appreciated! Also, I usually run approx 2 mph. I like to run spoons. And worm harnesses.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1659366677660.jpg
    FB_IMG_1659366677660.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 27
Also remember that the charts are worthless unless you calibrate your line counter reels. Some people don't seem to think that it's important but it is if you want to rely on the charts.
I also believe some people obsess with the line counters and charts and think they are dead accurate. You can also move them up and down couple feet at a time until the fish bite

Your on the right track. If I mark fish at 30 , I set for 30. This chart I laminated and is for braided line only.
Settings yesterday were 67 and 80.

Attachments

• PXL_20230711_221757001.jpg
    PXL_20230711_221757001.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 23
The outer bay can through all that out of wack when you hit the cross currants. We run all the dipseys at different depths until we find a number were the fish hit. Then start dialing in the line out on all rods play around 5 ft at a time. My experience is having the same reels makes it easier to dial in . I run 203 Coldwater's for the Dipseys.

I also believe some people obsess with the line counters and charts and think they are dead accurate. You can also move them up and down couple feet at a time until the fish bite
100% but they at least put you in the ballpark of where you want to be to start with. Also, if I tell you I'm running a number 0 Dipsy on 3 setting 150 feet back, the info is useless unless both our reels are calibrated somewhat close. I've seen guys running reels with the spool only 1/3full and they're out by 50% or more....not much good sharing info that way

100% but they at least put you in the ballpark of where you want to be to start with. Also, if I tell you I'm running a number 0 Dipsy on 3 setting 150 feet back, the info is useless unless both our reels are calibrated somewhat close. I've seen guys running reels with the spool only 1/3full and they're out by 50% or more....not much good sharing info that way
I’m confused how the number could be off if the reel isn’t completely full..
so long as it’s reset to 0 when letting it out does it not just count as you let it out?

I’m confused how the number could be off if the reel isn’t completely full..
so long as it’s reset to 0 when letting it out does it not just count as you let it out?
because if you have too little of line spooled on the reel then each revolution there will be less than a foot coming out of the reel.. similar to having too much line on it, then each revolution will be more than a foot.. there is a sweet spot.. it doesn't know how much line is coming out, it only knows how many times it turns and if you don't have the amount of line spooled in the sweet spot then you will be thinking youre letting out more or less line than you actually are... take a tape measure and pull your line out 100 feet and see if its actually 100 ft, then youll have to adjust and add or take away line depending on what the line counter says

Until you get a tangle and have to remove 100ft, or get a fray 60’ in and have to remove 61’. Then what, respool the whole thing? It’s just not worth the trouble.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks